The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Would you rather see sculpt-mode go back to being an orphan module?

For the first time, we have a dedicated sculpt-mode developer who will probably not leave the development scene if he gets an offer for a paid job at a commercial company. Why would we want to reject that just because he’s not coming in from the Zbrush community? Should we also tell all of the other developers to take a hike because they were not avid Maya/Max/C4D users?

8 Likes

Oh my, after seeing all the work that Pablo has been doing in Blender and with all the demonstrated knowledge, do you think that Pablo has no experience with other programs?
Here many people think and believe they own the truth, and we have never even seen one of their works.

If Pablo has not issued an opinion so far on UI, it is perhaps out of respect or because he does not want to interfere in the work of others. But he should give an opinion about it and it should be taken into account.

6 Likes

WTH, I’m talking UI/UX knowledge here… Developing tools has nothing to do with it…

Yo @Regnas chill chill chill …

6 Likes

Pablo implemented many features that are similar to those of other sclupt programs (as I understand it). So my thought is that he knows those other programs, and therefore he knows those other UI/UX. Otherwise, if Pablo implemented all these features without knowing other programs, I have to think that Pablo is even more genius than I thought.

2 Likes

Pablo has used zbrush before but didn’t like the UI/UX,viewport…etc that’s why he decided to work with blender despite being less powerful…but he is fixing many things from core systems to how brushes work and many more, UI/UX might not be his “specialty” but i am sure he has a saying about it since he does Art too, to get better UI/UX you need iteration/feedback and i think that’s what he aims for the long run.

6 Likes

Tools, UI, and UX go hand in hand, @Regnas . Pablo has done a bunch of quality of life improvements that have improved workflow. For example, Vox Remesher got a proper place in the UI next to Dyntopo, and it works great for what it’s supposed to do. He fixed the issue with the brush size preview circle not following the shape of the mesh, which was both bad UI and UX. Not to mention the mesh topology preview to the Grab brush, which is great UX design.

I have studied UI and UX design. From my own perspective, Pablo has been doing a great job with fixing stuff for Sculpt Mode, whether it’s tool functionality, UI, or UX. I think he and the other developers deserve a little more credit than you’ve been giving them here.

7 Likes

LOL, it’s funny how you guys don’t get what Regnas is saying :joy: :upside_down_face:

We read it, understood it, and brought counterpoints when we disagreed with something. Maybe it’s you who don’t understand this conversation and should learn to have something productive to say before posting?

6 Likes

I was skimming the chat logs from this week’s dev meeting (since the meeting minutes aren’t up yet). Sounds like it should be a good week for sculpt stuff:

11 Likes

Also, looks like Pablo has a new “Orco” brush in the works.

https://developer.blender.org/D5530

8 Likes

I think he knows Zbrush, Marvelous Designer, Substance painter, I suppose Topogun …
Zbrush is a pain in the ass but the interface is really fully customizable without code and the way they manage the brushes palette is more user friendly to me

2 Likes

Tried to compare and contrast the current version and the new one. The new one is certainly much sharper for sure, which is very much welcomed. Will use this more than the Crease brush for creases. The Crease brush is good still, but not sharp enough for my taste.

Nice to be able to move over to the master branch soon! :smile:

What does this mean for the sculpt branch going forward once everything is patched? Will Pablo keep using it for experimenting with features before moving those over, or can we expect his code to get directly added to master?

The Sculpt branch might hang around for the same reason as the Grease Pencil branch, as a place to commit and test-drive new features and general improvements before they land in master.

2 Likes

Hey! New user here, actually made the account because I need some help. I’m using Sculpt branch currently, and trying to make a model of a fantasy creature I’ve concepted. The issue I’m having is, that suddenly after many many hours of work on the model, the remesh tool doesn’t work anymore. That is, when I hit remesh, with all the same settings I had before, it destroys my model entirely. Like, all that is left is tiny scattered particles of the thing. If anyone knows the cause of the problem, and/or how to fix it, I would be infinitely grateful.

Welcome on board!
Please start a thread in the support section and show some pics so people can help you better. I usual advice new user to use only the master build and release just in case you get yourself into deep problem. The remesher is already in the master.

Have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you scale your model?

Not exactly sculpt related, but can we expect the new Remesh Modifier to be incorporated into master to 2.81?

1 Like

I guess only @scorpion81 can answer that