The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Pablo’s Patreon page.

The following is the long list of useful features he plans to add to Blender’s sculpting module.

If you’ve got good constructive feedback or an interesting suggestion regarding Blender Sculpt Mode, you can post it in the Blender Devtalk forum’s Sculpt Mode feedback discussion.

Please don’t flood it with complaints and bug reports, so Pablo and fellow Blender developers will have a clear, useful collection of Sculpt Mode feedback.

:point_right: Bug reports can be submitted here.

Thanks!

110 Likes

Vector Displacement just needs UI and baking? What? :drooling_face:

4 Likes

This is awesome… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This sounds great.

4 Likes

I think that they are just meaning that code to displace from vector maps is already here.
What is missing is a way to create those vector maps in Blender.

Nothing new in that area. But as the almost last thing planned, Cycles may have vector displacement baking before they reach that step in their new sculpt mode branch.

All these points are great. That ambitious plan will probably take years to be accomplished.
But that is a great news, after a period when sculpt mode was orphan, to see a developer ready to invest work time for several next years.

4 Likes

Wonderful wonderful…
Finally a really interesting project.

Let’s give zbrush some heat. :wink:

12 Likes

I hope that he will be given this opportunity.Even will create a theme in devtalk.

1 Like

Fantastic! My Blender sculpting dreams might come true! :+1::ok_hand::heart:

4 Likes

this is really nice to hear, i was hoping he gets the attention from BF one day ,just like Clément with his PBR branch, and becomes one of blender’s core team…Sculpting quest now closer to reality :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If the BF can find a way to get Psi-Fy back on Blender for a few months, then we would have all of the needed devs. for a sculpt quest (since it’s not realistic to have Brecht, Campbell, Sergey, Bastien, and Clement come to the institute to work on that only).

1 Like

I miss / hope for the use of vdm textures in the node brush (slide 6). Give these guys a branch please.

1 Like

excellent proposal. Time to keep an eye out on this thread…

1 Like

I’m not a sculpter…but it seems a great development plan with great goals!!!

2 Likes

If the next rocket collectibl… i mean, code quest is related to this, i’m in

2 Likes

While I have absolutely no objection against it. Could anyone please explain why it is important for this to have an official branch? Can’t it just be forked and worked on?

1 Like

The three things holding me back to do the sculpting in blender:
1, performance, this is the most important
2, some brush works better in zbrush… most notably the move brush… so much better than the grab… I don1t know what causes the big difference
3, i slightly prefer the main controls in Zbrush… the ability to rotate the mesh without pressing any button.

6 Likes

https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2019-March/049876.html . Ton answered.

14 Likes

For those too lazy to click the link, Ton has endorsed the project and is willing to get them set up :sunny:

13 Likes

Does it include buildbot daily builds?

2 Likes

The buildbot only does builds of master, not branches. You will need to ask Pablo or someone else to build it for your OS.

1 Like