The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

some texturing news Texturing meeting

5 Likes

That all sounds great! One small comment - I don’t see that many 16k textures used in film. I do see UDIMs everywhere so hopefully that side (baking to udim, painting across tiles) is also under consideration.

Impressive topology even able to generate correct low poly and able to keep edges correct.
This could become the new big retopo tool after InstantMesh.

Will have to find some builds and try it :smiley:

2 Likes

vivaldi_2022-02-20_21-55-46

Hmmmm… :no_mouth:

8 Likes

That is like using Quadriflow :grimacing:

4 Likes

This looks like we’ll need to keep using Quad Remesher once again. :slightly_smiling_face: But the examples in the paper look very promising.

4 Likes

Hello all,
Is Sculpt Vertex Colors actually working in 3.1.0 ?

I am using the unofficial win7 build, and the related UI elements do show up as expected after running

C.preferences.experimental.use_sculpt_vertex_colors = True

However the Value filter seems to be the only thing that actually affects sculpt colors - I can’t seem to get anything else to anything. Painting a color doesn’t do anything, and the Store/Load buttons don’t seem to quite do what they should. I can make existing Vcols show up in sculpt mode after some random clicking of the buttons, but that’s about it.

Note that I am familiar with the (temporary) workflow as I have been using the special 2.80 Sculpt/Pablo build for a while now and everything behaves as expected there (again besides the very odd labeling of the store and load buttons which makes no sense whatsoever, as they doen’t say what they are loading/storing from and to :smiley: But that’s probably hardly relevant since these are supposed to disappear soon anyways).

Now of course this could very well just be a case of the win7 build not supporting it to begin with. Would love to see someone confirm that it is working for them.

I’m using this build and vertex colors work fine here, maybe it’s because it’s a Win7 build?

Hello @julperado , thank you for chiming in !
Yes, perhaps indeed. But just to be clear : are you confirming that you can indeed paint dense sculpts at high framerate, using the special sculpt vertex colors mode and the paint brush from sculpt mode ? Or, do you just mean that regular vertex colors are working fine ?

Yes I’m talking about the vertex painting tools in sculpt mode, not regular vertex color, those are still as slow as ever :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi again @julperado, that’s noted. I’ll be testing things out further asap, comparing the behavior between win7 and win10. Thanks again for confirming !

[Edit] Well actually, I take that back : After flushing out my preferences, they are indeed working ! That’s an odd one. Really curious as to what could possibly be causing this.

1 Like

Yeah, saved settings can interfere with new changes in daily builds. That’s why I always use this add-on to auto-reset Sculpt Mode brushes, to make sure I don’t miss out on new default settings:

6 Likes

Not really sculpt related, but I’m too lazy to start a new thread.

20 Likes

Oh lord it is getting tracktion. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

So sad. Looked cool.
But that’s not all. Looks like it uses this guy here.
Sounds like a ultra-hefty commercially licensed tool… of those ones which run in the order of, you know, $$$ licenses…
:grimacing:

1 Like

Oh, that layer stack node!

That is so much better than the mix node monstrosities we have to build right now:

12 Likes

That is nice, similar to how Mari handles layers.

4 Likes

Now we really need node portals!

2 Likes

The quad version looks good and follow original triangle topolgy.
Will need a binary to test it and see if it is good.

Meanwhile , 3D Coat retopo or it’s Instant Mesh option works great.

3 Likes

Yeah, and Keyshot.

6 Likes