The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Im impressed how space efficient sculptings become …
playing with Voxel Remesher.

There is a problem I run into when using voxel remesh with Adaptivity.

I cant paint small wrinkles into a planar shape, because there is not enough topology. Is there a way to ‘add detail’ to flat areas to prepare them for painting wrinkles on ‘adaptive remeshed’ flat areas?
(Just like Simplify brush might do, but it doesnt seems to work together with voxel remesh. )

Dyntopo. Pablo said he added adaptivity to Voxel to help optimise the remesher to be easier to work with with Dyntopo. Personally I prefer using Voxel without adaptitivity at higher densities to avoid those issues you mentioned, but in the earlier stages it is a good idea to mix and mash Dyntopo and Voxel with adaptivity active to get a good sculpting workflow.

3 Likes

William made a 2.82 design task to store brushes separate from blend files. I hope something similar is done for alpha textures, too.

https://developer.blender.org/T70412

10 Likes

Heck yes! It’s like they read my wishlist. They’re even talking about having a singular file format that the brushes are saved to to make it easier to save and share as well as having folders to better sort the brushes. If they manage to create all of this for 2.82, this will feel like Christmas! :smiley:

2 Likes

I also wonder if they’ll make an easy so fool-proof method do extract and adjust alpha textures from geometry based on 3D view. It would be Christmas Gold Plus.

3 Likes

Sculpt: slight topology rake performance inprovement.

https://developer.blender.org/rB17f6b4d0f8d9b55b631fbf3fa24e81d1266c3ec8

5 Likes

Yes! Multi-level sculpting should be a primary focus. I wonder if he intends to add a new system exclusive to Sculpt Mode, rather than relying on the old Multires modifier, that by all accounts has been broken for years?

8 Likes

Indeed! Subdivs are an absolute must and I am glad that Pablo has plans for it. From what I have seen so far, it looks like to me that he will be fixing the bugs for MultiRes. Unless that doesn’t work out, maybe one of his next big projects will be a better subdiv system? Who knows? :smiley:

I just got another feature to add to my wishlist. It would be super duper nice if we got a quick destructive decimator built into Sculpt Mode. Been trying to use the Decimate modifier on high poly sculpts, but it just takes too long to add and apply. Would be a nice way to optimise your sculpt for doing retopology, Dyntopo, and QuadriFlow (it is super slow on high poly models). Especially for Dyntopo, which lives off of tris. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That sounds like a perfect job for Pablo’s filter tool… I think it was designed just for that.

I figured out a neat way to optimise your high poly mesh when using QuadriFlow. If you decimate your object down to 200k-100k, you can then run QuadriFlow at 100k faces and get fairly okay results with few risks of crashing:

I already reported this to Brecht and Pablo in this thread (you can download my uploaded file to see the results of my testing): https://developer.blender.org/D5958#137147

I hope that they will optimise QuadriFlow so it automatically decimates your high poly mesh down to 150-120k before running the remesher (those numbers seem to produce the fastest and best looking results), since it is completely unusable on high poly sculpts without running a decimator. You also get fairly pleasant looking results similar to how ZRemesher looks without any loops or polygroups guiding the mesh.

QuadriFlow is still slow compared to default ZRemesher using this method, but it is still a good tool to have in your arsenal while working. With more optimisations like this we may finally get the speed we need for it.

5 Likes

At some point, I predict people will start calling this Bbrush (play on Zbrush). Its almost inevitable if development continues at this pace. Good stuff is happening.

3 Likes

Bbrush/ blindiny LoL

1 Like

“if development continues at this pace” the other way around: pixologic product will be called zBlender! :laughing:

4 Likes

Do any of the new sculpt tools help prevent a mesh from self-intersecting (or intersecting with another object)

I’m thinking about situations in character modelling where you have two parts of the body pressed up against each other and so have two opposing but separate skin surfaces that you want to preserve as separate (say finger tips touching).

Thinking about how this would work in the real world sculpting - imagine placing a piece of cling film between two parts of a clay model, then pressing them together. They would deform against each other, but would remain distinct and separate. Is this type of thing even possible in Blender/sculpting software?

1 Like

Great suggestion, I would also very much welcome this. Blender’s Decimate modifier is reasonably on par with ZBrush Decimation Master (except for the lack of vertex paint support), so if that algorithm could be turned into a keyboard shortcut in Sculpt Mode, it’d be great.

Pablo, while you’re at it, please add vertex paint support (preferably with an adjustable importance factor, assigning more or less polygons to vertex paint preservation). :smiley::+1:

2 Likes

Yeah. On its own, Blender’s Decimation modifier produces pretty pleasing results when using Collapse (Planar is pretty cool too). Having it be a non-destructive modifier in this case is a bit of a weakness since there is no feasible way to preview it on million poly sculpts, so it is just as well to just make a destructive alternative to save some time. We just need a better workflow for what’s already there.

Anyway, I made a new bug report on QuadriFlow (so many bugs ^^) : https://developer.blender.org/T70444

On a final note, I found out a way to create mesh loops with Mask Extract, QuadriFlow, and MultiRes. If I have time, I will make a tutorial on how to accomplish this, since there are some big caveats on what not to do to achieve the best results. Here’s a sneak peak:

3 Likes

Did anyone find a way to assign a hotkey to Voxels size? i think we need one like the Strength with digits in the middle it’s much faster that way.

1 Like

Would like that, but a big issue with a lot of sliders like Voxel is that dragging the sliders on a dense poly object slows down Blender significantly. If you have a few million polygons on your sculpt the slider will start lagging heavily and you have to type in your values manually to get any precision.

If that problem is fixed I am all for adding a hotkey for it.

Of course, but it could be done as a visual trick only just to visualize the number and until you confirm then copies it to the actual size which equates to typing…that would make it look faster on dense meshes then you just have to wait a little bit for the final calculations

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Would be nice if someone made a bug report or contacted Brecht and/or Pablo so they can fix it. Changing your settings are pretty common place, so it should be snappy and responsive.

1 Like