The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

More news about the Vector Displacement, we have a possible script to bake vdm to vertex colors working in the early 2.8 and support to Tangent Space Vector Displacement in the Displace Modifier, @0x0042 want to port it to master, I suppose any help to contact developpers would be appreciated.

5 Likes

So, um, according to the manual there’s supposed to be an iteration setting for the mask filters. How do you access that setting?

(I hate when manuals do this… They list options, but never show where to find them. Is it really too much to ask to show screenshots for these things?)

Once you’re used to the Sculpt Dev build’s mask ops, you won’t want to go back. Love how you can smooth masks by simply dragging across the screen.

1 Like

Well, I downloaded the branch, and it’s nice.

But I’m still curious where that iterations setting is hiding in the master builds.

Also, I love that new geodesic recursion ring thingy you get with Shift-A. But how do you start the ring from an existing mask? The operator obviously can handle arbitrary shapes because it does exactly that with Shift-Alt-A when you start from normals. But I can’t get it to draw a ring around a specific shape I painted with the mask tool :confused:

2 Likes

Good question. I’ve never tried using the mask expand on an existing mask.

Personally, my favorite elements in the Sculpt Dev build are:

• Pose brush with more modes, including Bend. :heart:
  • Fairing brush. Works great to smooth out inconsistencies in larger areas.
  • More powerful masking options.
  • More powerful face set options.

There’s more, but I still need to explore some of the features.

2 Likes

I myself though am pretty hesitant to begin a reliance on branches no matter what they bring, because if a feature you tied your files to does not make it to master, then you have hit a dead-end in your creativity.

The only exception if it is official work that has an extremely high chance of being committed or is something that your .blend file can easily work without.

2 Likes

Mask filter is already in master? I’m rocking a very old master build here hehehe
But last time I checked in the dev branch, this iterarion option was only available in the keymap settings in the preferences… :thinking:

Press E to preserve the existing mask…

Hint: When you press shift + a, a massive list of modal shortcuts appear in the status bar at the bottom… there you can find most of the stuff this tool does…

I’m not a modal guy, so I hardly use this tool… I’m still waiting for an active tool version of this… prolly ain’t gonna happen, but still:frowning:

Yep… but I still miss the “merge similar groups”, yeah, that one that assign the same polygroup to the chunks with the same vertex count… very handy on symmetrical stuff… :frowning:

1 Like

Ah, apparently I didn’t describe it very clearly.

In your clip, you draw a box and make a horizontal selection. I don’t want to preserve the mask, I want to use it as the first step. In your case, that would result in two horizontal lines all around the sphere - one at the top of the box you drew, and one around the bottom. Sort of like “Select Boundary Loop” in edit mode.

In more practical terms, I want to draw hard surface panels using face sets, and then make grooves around them by leveraging the expand tool step thing, lol. It’s kind of a silly idea and I know there are better ways to model this, but that operator would be perfect for this if I could actually draw the starting mask in the shape I want and not just random-ish patterns or circles.

1 Like

Hello! One small question. Do you know if there is plan to implement proper dynamic topology to anchored and drag dot?
Now that dynamic topology is going to be improve… maybe we can have that feature?

I don’t think there’s any formal plan, no. The part that is being improved is the underlying mesh data structure and drawing code, not the brush system. There may or may not be an informal plan in the devs’ heads but that we can’t know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I see now… Hmm, I don’t think this tool can do that… :thinking:

This looks like a tough business lol… even sculptris pro doesn’t support those stroke types in zbrush…

Would be nice though…

4 Likes

It feels so junkie wen you try and go crazy not knowing why is not working, no warning no anything, also you undo and the texture sometimes goes away and sometimes dynamic topology is deactivated… Undo in sculpt is just a pain.

Do you think is worth it to post undo bugs?

1 Like

It’s always worth it to report bugs, but do please make sure that a) they’re actual bugs, and not known limitations, and b) not already in the tracker. I know that searching through that tracker is quite a bit of work, but otherwise we’d just be wasting the devs’ time.

Undo in Sculpt Mode is indeed still a pain in the butt, and this has been going on for years now. I guess fixing it is a complex matter of targeting multiple areas in Blender, maintained by different developers.

Anyone knows who is the author of these big brush icons?
I downloaded them some time ago, and can’t find the thread either here or devtalk.

7 Likes

It is… the undo bugs are being slowly fixed thanks to the massive load of reports… :wink:

Yep…

7 Likes

Same with Dyntopo being deactivated again if you undo the first stroke. :cry:

8 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, these statechange couplings within the undo steps really hurt and not just there. :scream_cat:

4 Likes

Yes… And if it is in the default cube you have to discard the UV warning a lot XP