The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Well I have an answer from Pablo Dobarro, he is thinking in the loop around the extruded mesh, he is looking for a not to slow way of doing it.

Any Ideas on how that could be done, his words:

“Hola! No, para eso no hace falta el quad remesh, simplemente hay que extruir los bordes y pasarle un smooth. Estoy intentando hacerlo sin usar un shrinkwrap internamente, porque eso en una escultura con muchos vertices va a ser lentisimo”

Meaning there is no need for a quad re-mesh, it can be done with an extrude of the borders and doing some smooth, but he is trying not to use the shrinkwrap internally, because on dens meshes it is going to be really slow.

1 Like

Yes that works nice with dynotopo, but not so great with standard sculpt.

so setting the pivot doesn’t work, right guys?

For cartoon and stylized characters, the new sculpt features seems like more than enough. As I do focus in cartoon and stylized, maybe I can use only Blender for sculpting work. :thinking:

10 Likes

Give this guy a dev fund grant already :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m so divided internally… I want it all today! but… yeah… waiting one or two years to have it with a robust foundation… I don’t know… I can’t process this right now.

Voxel Painting Script
You can just get this script here: https://github.com/JohnGreen74/GPVoxelRemesh
then use mesh.gpconvertor for both 3d view/3d view global and grease pencil/ grease pencil stroke paint mode HOTKEYS.
Then press assingned key and paint, press same key again to remesh, repeat!
Script is in development, so some bugs appear when you peress hotkey twice without painting for example. Just delete GP objects and start again.
Also newbeing’s clip brush works good for this workfow:)

16 Likes

that is amazing! you should talk to pablo to put that script in the sculpt-mode-features branch!

3 Likes

Ah. I was afraid this would happen. Look at all the shiny new features you’ve wanted for years! Yup. We can merge them in just a few short years once we’ve rewritten it all from scratch. Lol. It’s not that I disagree with the necessity of doing so (I’m not qualified to decide, and anyway the code’s current state is not Pablo’s fault), but that’s what I get for getting my hopes up :stuck_out_tongue:

At least he is honest and open about it…

1 Like

Is it accurate to say all of the new features in the branch do not work with multires or dyntopo, so sculptors using it are just pushing and pulling on vertices already there?

I also thought Sergey did some Multires work for 2.8 as part of OpenSubDiv. I do think it would be nice to have a unified system that combines the benefits of both if possible, while preserving vertex color, UV, and vertex group data, but as mentioned that would be a major project.

can that work in 2.79?

There are some features in the branch which don’t depend on the internal sculpt modes and data structure. Those features can be merged at any time, as soon as they are reviewed. This includes:

• Sculpt cursor and normal radius (the cursor needs some code duplication to make it work, but that was already done)
  • Brush curve presets
  • OpenVDB voxel remesher/Quadriflow (it may have some issues with the current undo system)
  • 2D viewport navigation

It would be great to see those things in 2.81 or 2.82.

To me, that are the real improvements that branch is bringing, currently.
I still prefer Edit Mode tools to transform tool with a guess about where is pivot and mesh filters.
I still prefer Old Vertex Paint mode with real paint brushes rather than just a color option.

Article is just saying that what does not deliver a good performance can not reach good performance without a rewrite and what works fine could be merged quickly without problem.
That’s great news.

That means that we will benefit of improvements of touch feeling with normal radius and viewport navigation in master, soon.
And that improvement of performance would really happen into several years and not just continue to be a dream.

Sergey did some work, but did you try it out? detail propagation is unusable… unless there is something I’m missing.

What button do you refer to ?
Reshape requires to use higher level with a second mesh with same amount of faces.
Apply Base displaces current sculpt level. There is no addition at level 0.
But if you press button at higher level there is an emphasizing corresponding to addition at that level.

There’s still a few issues with artifacts, but I assumed these will be fixed when they address the release stoppers later this month.

To knowingly decide not to fix them could mean the BF making a terrible PR move that would derail the 2.8 launch and their dev. fund getting hammered (in a bad way).

If there is a new opensubdiv under the hood, and the problem remain, there is a deeper problem, from my talks with Pablo Dobarro I know he thinks multirres is completely broken… And for my experience, in a 3 or 4 level multirres going to lower levels and modify big changes, brakes everything in the higher levels, only level 0 is workable. Capturing details work just fine :). Any how… There should be a sculpt sprin or something like that… But seen that the patreon of Pablo did so poorly give me… It makes me sad… Maybe we are never going to see the sculpt mode that blender deserve…

1 Like

unfortunately no

I allways wonder if the devs, who are responsible for the specific code parts, are knowing this.Often i read of broken code in this and that.So i hope there is a bugtracker entry for this,if not why?

thats i am afraid of.the devs should be aware what powerful and amazing potential this sculpting plan has,and should support Pablo as much as possible.

edit,and this fixes should be made asap ,because waiting one year or so to fix it is to late, if fundamental code are broken from the beginning.

1 Like