The big favorite Blender add-ons thread

VSEQF has a vastly superior toolset, imo, and much better integrated in the UI. Ex. none of the functions showcased above are included in PS. PS is mainly a set of hotkey workflow enhancers.

1 Like

Sounds good. When Iā€™m using the VSE itā€™s mainly for some 2D After Effects type of work. For that I like this add-on a lot:

Mesh Check BGL Edition
3D Printing Tool Box
LoopTools
EdgeFlow
Polyquilt
Quad Remesher
Auto-Delete
Machin3Tools
Wonder Mesh
Shape Generator
Pivot Transform
Pie menu Editor
btodo

those below i have only played with them briefly.
but they are definitely going to get a good workout in the near future
when i get around to them.

Bezier Mesh Shaper
Hard Ops
MeshMachine
BoxCutter
DecalMachine
Node Kit

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

Iā€™ve been intrigued by this add-on for quite a while, but every time I start looking at the demo videos, Iā€™m a bit overwhelmed by the amount of functions. What do you use it for?

I installed this in a recent Blender alpha or beta version (at least 2.82), and noticed a heavy lag when manipulating the parametric values. Did anyone else notice this?

the Mode pie is probably the one i use the most; switching from Object mode to Edit/Vertex/Edge/Face mode.

then the Shading pie, which puts often used functions under one roof, so to speak.
then Cursor pie also, which modifies the original Shift S menu.

in the Tools, i mostly use the Clean Up tool, mostly for removing doubles.
i still have to look into the Smart Vert/Edge/Face tool, which is next on my To-Do list for today.
that and the Align pie too.
frankly, thereā€™s so much stuff in this addon that itā€™s something i try to assimilate in small dosage.

Wonder Mesh works good here, but iā€™m still on 2.81
i mostly use that one for Booleans, to make sure both objects have enough geometry before applying the bool operation.
iā€™ve only used it for low-poly stuff, denser meshes might be another thingā€¦

1 Like

I installed this in a recent Blender alpha or beta version (at least 2.82), and noticed a heavy lag when manipulating the parametric values. Did anyone else notice this?

Little late, but if you still have that problem (I donā€™t think this addon have been updated for a while) here is how I fixed it.

in w_mesh addons folder, go to __init._.py line 309 and delete ", icon=ā€˜NDOF_DOMā€™ " from it.

And now it should run smoothly

Also to not go completely off-topic, here is my favorite add-ons:

Machin3Tools
Merge Tool
Textools
UV Toolkit
UVPackmaster
Modeling Cloth/Wrapping Tools
Bevel Curve Tools
Real Sky
Render burst

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your add-ons and for the Wmesh tip, Iā€™ll reinstall and try it.

1 Like

Tried your Python adjustment to W-Mesh, and it works, thanks!

Now if the add-on developer could add support for adding a W-Mesh object oriented to the screen or 3D cursor, thatā€™d be great.

Lots of interesting addons to try. I just have very limited time so it would be nice if people would also elaborate a bit on how the addon helps their workflow and what kind of improvements it provides them into creating better things in less time. Just listing names is useful, but it doesnā€™t help anyone into deciding what should they try first.

5 Likes

Agreed, @ambi!

Hereā€™s my add-on elucidation:

Modifier List

:point_right: A great replacement of the standard modifier UI / workflow, offering a clear, concise modifier list, a configurable most-used modifiers preset list and lots of extra functions, such as automatic addition of a modifier-controlling dummy.

EZLattice Plus

:point_right: Makes adding, applying and removing a lattice much easier, as it should be. Also offers extra functions for orienting the lattice, and more.

EdgeFlow

:point_right: A great tool for adjusting edges to conform to the flow of surrounding edges.

QuadRemesher

:point_right: Simply the best auto-retopologizer thatā€™s available at the moment, from the developer of ZBrush ZRemesher.

Volume Preserving Smoothing

:point_right: A great companion to EdgeFlow, offering better, volume-preserving smoothing than Blenderā€™s native Smooth Vertices tool.

Mesh Fairing

:point_right: Another very effective smoothing tool, that works in both Edit Mode and Sculpt Mode, offering three methods: Position (smooth flattening of an area), Tangency (keeps more continuity with the surrounding area) and Curvature (keeps most continuity with the surrounding area).

5 Likes

Added W Mesh to the OP.

W Mesh

https://blendermarket.com/products/wonder-mesh (W Mesh at Blender Market if you want to support the developer)

:point_right: 3ds Max style parametric and animatable primitive objects, allowing a more non-destructive workflow, particularly useful when working with Boolean modifiers.

1 Like

Updated the OP with MiraTools. I just completely rediscovered that.

@Musashidan, be sure to check out MiraTools if you havenā€™t already. Among great Edit Mode deformation and creation tools it also comes with a range of flexibly creatable primitives.

2 Likes

Updated the OP with Pie Menu Editor (PME).

i luv that tool.

3 Likes

Most people said the ones I use, and maybe some of these, but:

Material Utilities - https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/addons/materials/material_utils.html

All Material List - https://gumroad.com/l/eilxr

Interactive Tools - https://gdoc.pub/doc/e/2PACX-1vTuuLrH7gHNqH7V7iZDnyvPg7jh3_5e3JnhteVpN1lrVXqmYqnRvMgghMar4of5HZ8HYijB_YxDITR4

Maya Merge/Target Weld - https://github.com/Stromberg90/Scripts/tree/master/Blender

ROTAFix - ROTAfix ver. 280.6.2

1 Like

Rotafix is such a great little tool!

Added:

GoB / GoZ for Blender

:point_right: If you use ZBrush next to Blender, this add-on will make your life a lot easier.

Well, there are several sides about addons, e.g.:

And the addon section at Blender Market will give a good overview as well.

About my must have list.
Shipped with Blender:
Nodewrangler, Looptools, ExtraObjects.
When Iā€™ll start to learn rigging/posing in Blender, Rigify might become useful as well.

Other must have addons:
GoB and DAZ Importer

I also bought some addons lately, all of them are nice to have, none of them are essential:
Hops, Fluent, Transportation, Simply Cloth.

But of course this depends on what one is doing with Blender
and what other software and tools he use.

I found an attempt to list all Blender addons but it looks abandoned:

I guess this topic is more of a jungle than I thought :star_struck:

Mahcin3 tools is amazing

Auto rig pro is a god send

Blend it! Is great

drop it is small but useful

Havent used Fluent yet but it looks great so i bought it

Auto car rig pro is nice

Lightning boy shader is good for outlines

Oh and smart fill is good too