The Blackboard

Hello,

(If adding this thread is not allowed then please delete :slight_smile: )

The Blackboard is based on the following text and song (youtube link)
It’s the first song of the new Ayreon album: The Theory of Everything.

I’m posting here to (surprise surprise) receive some focused critique about anything you want to talk about :stuck_out_tongue:

Here goes:

The dew of morning still glistens on the salt grass that grows
along the foundation of the old Lighthouse. lt isn’t in active service
anymore, but has been renovated to serve as a private dwelling.
High in the tower inside, a young man is slumped on the floor in
the corner of the room, apparently in some kind of trance.
Someone has put a blanket over him. He is deathly pale, but the
steady, almost imperceptible rise and fall of his chest shows that
he still clings to life. Standing next to him are young woman and
an older man. Both are obviously shocked and distressed.
Their frequent glances toward the door give the impression that
they’re waiting for someone who is yet to arrive. On the wall next
to them is a blackboard covered with impenetrable mathematical
equations. The older man is holding a crumpled piece of paper — it
appears to be a note scribbled in haste by an unsteady hand.
What follows here is the story of what happened.

Allright that being said, I got the following image layers (click for large version):

1. Full setup unrendered
  2. Full setup rendered
  3. Blackboard glow
  4. Blanket glow
  5. Moonrays
  6. Note glow

Combining all these layers with “screen” blending/mix with variating factors results in the following image.

I would really like some comments on this render and tips and tricks on lighting and texturing.
Also some opinions would be nice (do you like it (or not), why etc.).

Thanks in advance,
Looking forward to your replies and if you have any questions please do ask.

Greetings,
H34DhUnT3r

Would love some opinions and feedback. Sooo: bump? :slight_smile:

I really like this scene overall, I think you’ve done a great job with the lighting, materials, and textures especially.

It looks to me like whoever is using the blackboard has been working on a very large scientific or mathematical discovery. If this is the case, you should certainly consider adding a lot more paper scattered all over the desk, and maybe some scrunched up pieces on the floor near it. Our scientist friend will need some pens to write with and a chair to sit in, too.

As for the actual scene itself, I think the metal window frame needs to be smoother, other than that, I like it. (:

Great thanks!

I was creating a chair already :wink: but yea you’re right.
Also creating the chair I noticed that the person under the blanket is waaaay to big compared to the rest of the room :wink:
Thanks for the tips on extra paper everywhere, I’ll see what I can do with that.

Not quite sure what you mean with a smoother window frame, could you elaborate?

You’re very welcome.

Ah, great minds think alike, as they say. (:
Now that you mention that, I see what you mean. It looks like if they stand up, their head will go through the ceiling.
No problem. Perhaps if you have time, you could add a few scientific instruments too?

Sorry, I did explain that quite badly. If you look at the larger metal loop in the frame, the geometry isn’t giving a very smooth curve at the top or bottom. I hope that makes sense.

In my opinion the light on the table look to modern to fit the scene. The light is also emiting a comparitivly very whit light compared to the other lights. I would also suggest using bump maps. The fabric looks too stiff to me and the texture of the fabric should be scaled down. The fabric also look too rounded at the edges.

Yea, was experimenting with bump maps as well, I see what you mean with the light colors and the round fabric. Thanks for pointing that out, I’ll see what I can do about it :wink:

@daniel, I see now what you mean :slight_smile:

Please, do keep giving feedback, this really helps :smiley:

Greetings,
H34DhUnT3r