The Blender Head for The Blenderhead

Here is the first installment of an extensive Flash video training series featuring the wonders of Blender. This session features all the steps needed to create a simple, realistic human head with Blender - extensive annotation of keyboard shortcuts throughout:

http://www.visiontovision.com/BlenderHeadIntro.htm

It is fairly long and well documented.

Greg Smith

Just started watching it. Any chance of getting something like an avi version of it? So it can be used without having to be connected to the net of having to load up each segment.

Hi!

I just (tried to) watch your tutorial, and I have some comments and questions.

1. Lose the resolution. 1024x768 should be enough to watch it.
  2. Is there a way to watch this off-line?

Hi this is a great video tutorial! I agree with the previous posters that the screen size should fit in a browser window… but it was still very usefull. I can’t wait to see the facial animation tute!!

relatively small texts, waste of space I think. 320x240 should’ve been enough for the first one, for example. really seriously, lower your resolution.

have a look at your browser-cache, the swf’s should be in there. or, have a look at the source (it tells you the name of the swf file, replace the xxx.html string with that one, and you should be able to scale the content by scaling the browser window)

as for the resolution, well, i don’t have a problem with that (running @1600x1200), but i seem to be an exception. so i agree with the rest, 1024 or 1280 sould be maximum.

the intro should be interactive, too, so better make “next/prev” buttons instead of forcing viewers to read as fast/slow as you think is optimum.

marin

Unfortunately, the Flash authoring software I use doesn’t give me any payback for reducing resolution. When, for example, you scale the video down to 1024 by 768, the file size remains the same and you lose clarity of text and interface in exchange for nice anti-aliasing. So I can’t see how anybody wins. I think, for now, scaling within the browser will do the same thing. I’ll consider saving to DIVX or something for smaller versions.

I could put in a series of interactive buttons, but there is a master button at the bottom that has a pause, just click if it goes too fast, or if you want to read long texts. Normally, in my video sessions I have no text at all, but since this is an introductory lesson and it assumes unfamiliarity with the Blender conventions, I decided to annotate heavily. Future sessions will not contain much in the way of text. This assumes that those watching have started at the beginning, and are, therefore familiar with the shortcuts that have been demonstrated in earlier lessons.

Greg Smith

abt the resolution: scaling afterwards isn’t good, you’re right. this should have been considered at the time the video was captured. scaling in the browser window makes the buttons unreadable, which in your case isn’t that bad, as (most?) actions take place in the 3D view, right?

for future work i’d suggest capturing at lower resolution, which will also drastically decrease file size. if you need more modelling space, simply maximize the viewport (CTRL+UPARROW, if you were unaware of it).

anyways, some good words in the end - good work. i’m sure many newbies will appreciate the work very much.

keep capturing :slight_smile:

marin

I think it is a really great medium for tutorial because I find it much easier to follow (the continuity of the process is much better captured).

I think it is really nice that you show all the hotkeys and short-cuts … makes the whole thing so much easier to do on your own… I can’t believe how easy that looked … :slight_smile:

I think it is a really good contribution to the community … makes Blender so much more accessible to us newbies… :slight_smile:

Keep capturing!! :smiley:

You could go to the root directory at visiontovision.com and download the ‘.swf’ files. Then go to Globfx and download the freeware Swiff program to watch it on your computer (Windows only):

http://www.globfx.com/products/swfplayer/

It does have a full screen view mode, but it does cause a loss of clarity (mainly in the button text in the button window - which shouldn’t be a problem for those already familar with the Blender UI).

Very nice work. Illustrates alot of the new mesh edit tools and how they make mesh editing alot easier. Very nice voice-over work, sounded like a professional announcer. Some minor sound over-lap and pacing issues, but overall a very informative and excellent tuorial. Just casually left-clicking to place the 3Dcursor causes it’s placement to be off slightly; snapping the 3Dcursor to the grid might have made joining the 2 halves easier later on (not a big issue though). Definitely would like to see more.

Or even better, try Demoforge [search on Google] it creates small filesizes and follows all your mouse movements and things and maps them for you. Then you can create the text that goes with them.

Wow… These are pretty cool.

check out his other Silo and Animation master files… they don’t translate directly to blender, but you can still gain a lot out of them.

I enjoyed watching you work, it has definatly helped my head making which up to this point never really gets the eyes or the mouth correctly… this has helped a bunch.

Thanks!

Here is the next installment on this Blenderhead session. Ears are added and this “embryonic” mesh is readied for transformation into a wide variety of different character types:

http://www.visiontovision.com/BlenderHead7.html

There is also a link between the last session and this one, for those of you who have been collecting them.

I hope you find this useful and entertaining,

Greg Smith