the Chamber of Convoys

Hey all,

After a long time, here some new work from the project I’m working on. Of course this is not the only thing I have made in all the time, but I just like this one, and I want it to share it with you guys.

So what do we have here, it is a scene from the 17th century. This is enkhuizen, a very small city in the netherlands, but 400 years ago one of the biggest of Europe. Well, if you want to know all the background info, read the other topics, for now, here some information about the scene you see and why it is so cool.

When the ships came back from the east, ( sometimes it took more than a year, it’s just amazing) than they returned to the harbor of Enkhuizen. What you see on the image was the central point, ‘the chamber of convoys’ really don’t know where they use it for, but I just like it.

Imagine, there is nothing left in enkhuizen, from the 4000 houses there are just 100 small ones left. At this moment 2010 this place is totally disappeared, so for me it is the perfect place to rebuild it in the old style, just with my imagination, Couse I don’t have examples from how it looks in the 17th century, just some very old maps, and I use it for the basics.
Well, this is all I have to say about it, just another work I hope you like it, and of course … I like your feedback.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1776/katsbrugold.th.jpg situation 1910

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/733/katsbrug.th.jpg my blender work

Wow not bad at all…where’s all the comments?

Very nice work. I like it a lot.

well maybe people don’t like the 17th century:rolleyes:

Anyway, what i like to know is what i can do to improve my work. things like lighting and render settings is something what is on a verry low level, and of course manny more things. but only with the feedback of this community i can fix that.

And of course i hope you like the scene, it was a hell of a job to make this what it is right now.

Just 2 comments for this piece?? Sometimes I think people are only here to get feedback for the own work? :open_mouth: This picture is amazing! I have no critic, I like your lighting, the textures, water etc… Keep up the good work! Maybe share some more details about your techniques like for the water, the trees?

Thumbs up for this!!

It looks a trifle modern for the 17th century… but then again that could just be me, since I’ve never actually been to the 17th century. Never got motivated enough, really.

I’m going to guess you modeled the second image, not the first–right?

The second image looks very clean. Like a 3D render or a video game. If it’s an inhabited town there should be a bit of a dusty haze in the air. In my opinion. :wink:

The second image looks very clean. Like a 3D render or a video game. If it’s an inhabited town there should be a bit of a dusty haze in the air. In my opinion.

you are right about that. the fact is, i don’t know how to make it dusty. of course i can put more stuff in the scene to make it looks like a old city, but the air is a hard job, if you have advice, and it works, tell me and i can put it into the scene.

Maybe share some more details about your techniques like for the water, the trees?

The tree’s are alpha planes, just transparant and easy, i think they need more detail and more smooth, but for now they well do their work. Can somebody tell me if it is possible to create shadow from a alpha texture. Couse now you see a lot of tree’s but no shadow, that;s becouse the alpha layer. if it is possible—> i’am a happy person

And the water, i use a flat plane, i put on a cloud texture, than reduce the noise size, and maximum noise depth. than i put on a bump map, that’s all, and of course put on a reflection. ( still working on the water, but as you all know, water is something weird…

Very very good.

Maybe it’s that what you mean?
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Tutorials/Textures/Use_Alpha_for_Object_Transparency

Here’s a blend file I quickly made (in blender 2.5). This will help you!

edit: I didn’t pack the texture into the blend file, because it would be too big. You can use any texture with this settings!

Attachments

alphatexture_shadow.blend (109 KB)

“receives transparent shadows” as a property. But you may want to use a second invisible only cast shadow against sun direction.

Great work though, I love the scene. !!!

thats great!

Love it! Amazing detail!