The church

Here is a scene I’m working on.
I’m rendering with Blender internal and Ambient Occlusion:: approximate.
Render time is about 2 min, I may switch to Yafray, but some texture images may need converting.
Crits anyone?:cool:

Attachments

Sweet.

But are church windows really that small?

You’ll want to texture everything up, of course. I’d suggest UV - simply because I’ve just discovered it and it’s so cool.

EDIT: On looking closer - do those shadows on the wall look odd to you?

The shadows do look odd, that was the first thing that caught my eye, it looks like the windows are all floating off the wall. I agree that they look a little small, especially in comparison to the the door.

I don’t know what your going for look wise but it feels like a fortress right now, with the open sky and land all around. And the fence makes me think that the church doesn’t want anyone around. again don’t know if this is what you want or not but that is how it’s reading to me.

oh, and the roof texture looks really flat, you might try making that out of actual geometry, it would help out a lot.

Ok, window frames are closer to the wall, and the sun angle is further from the wall too.
The widows are modeled from an old church in Europe, probably designed as a part-time fortress.
I also realized the sidewalk was as wide as the door was tall, so I shrunk the sidewalk.
Shingles are now modeled in. ( I should have realized textures wouldn’t work well at such slight angles. )

And the fence makes me think that the church doesn’t want anyone around. again don’t know if this is what you want or not but that is how it’s reading to me.

Very astute of you. This scene will be a little statement comparing orthodoxy vs. gnostic views.

Attachments

With such a sky I’d expect a lot brighter scene. Maybe you could give more energy to your lights :eyebrowlift:

The modeling looks fine, but the materials and lighting setup needs some improvement. Everything looks rather “plasticky”.

A bit brighter, camera angle lower, and actors added.
I may have lost the ‘tire scuff’ dirtmap on the road. Hm…

Attachments

what is that in the road? and what is the dude doing? I can think of any crits at the moment, other then I the horizon looks a bit empty, but that is likely just because I’m so used to having mountains on it because of where I live. :slight_smile:

what is that in the road? and what is the dude doing? I can think of any crits at the moment, other then I the horizon looks a bit empty, but that is likely just because I’m so used to having mountains on it because of where I live. :slight_smile:

At the risk of getting off topic…
That is Bishop Ireneaus ranting at a fish in a bowl.
I’ve been researching about how, in the 4th century, bishop Ireneaus ‘borrowed’ all the articles of faith in the creed of Nicea from Egyptian mythology( Horus). He then used the new Catholic doctrine to suppress the early Gnostic Christians (whos’ symbol was the fish), calling them ‘Heretics’, which is Greek for ‘choice’.
Amongst scholars it became such a controversy that some doubted there was ever a real man to the Jesus myth, until the NagHammadi scrolls were found. Not supprizingly, the church pretends they don’t exist.
I still don’t know what happened to the road dirtmap, but I’ll be adding a boat to the sea for balance.

It looks like he’s throwing something at the fishbowl.

More tweaks, including turning him so he doesn’t look like he’s throwing stuff at the fishbowl…

Attachments

You suddenly changed the focus of the shot from “a church” to “a bishop about to get smooshed by an oncoming car as he tries to retrieve a beach-ball from the center of the road.”

The framing of the first shot was much better, not only because it had less roadway but because the roadway was darker, thus preventing the eyes from straying away from what was originally supposed to be the subject: the church.

When you introduced a human into the shot, the shot became a shot “of the human,” and of the potentially-dangerous situation he is in. I notice that he is chasing a ball and I wonder what is the story behind that ball. But do you want me to be doing that?

I think that the first shot was actually the best overall, with the possible note that the church-door seemed to be a bit small vis-a-vis the size of the outer gate. Also, you’re using a pretty wide-angle lens with the corresponding slight fisheye-distortion. I’d discard the bishop, the ball, and the open gate. Pull the camera straight back and use a longer lens. Consider if you want to include any of the left-side wall of the church and how much of the seascape. But throughout all this, consider very carefully just what you want the image to be “about.”

my advice is to keep adding more and more small details to your image. that way, your render will look very good and not as plain as it looks right now. i like the render, but it just seem too plain
PS soften up those shadows!

the church should have a look of 4th century architecture.

I think this is very good composition…I like the sky and clouds…the flooring, the church itself. May be the windows a big bigger with some sort of collage or color blurry glass? I don’t know…looks terrific!

Camera moved and zoomed, window shows interior light.
Do you guys think the loose grass bits are too long?

Attachments

I’ve made some final changes; grass in cracks, lighting tweaks, ect. I’m going to call it done, partly because I want to start on other works. :cool:

So… should I re-post this in ‘Finished projects’, or does a moderator do that?

Attachments

It’s good. With or without the Friar and the beach-ball. :wink:

When you start wondering, “are the ‘loose grass bits’ too long?” … you know you’ve been fiddling with an image too much!

It’s good.

its good you need to make something to the right side of the church at the other side of the road ,any thing you would like eg :trees , houses etc.that will hide the sky errors too ,about the streets ,it needs bump maps and details the chruchs walls need textures,make some flowers .
((the trees and the flowers model doesnt matter if its yours ,you can download but make sure you write the name of the modeller who modeled it