The cloth-simulated straps do not stay in shape

I cant get the result I want the straps to be no matter how hard I tried. The straps are very jumpy and do not preserve the volume as the normal straps supposed to:

Been tweaking the settings so much, yet nothing good came.
Blend file:
MINION.selfrigtest.blend (4.26 MB)

For starters, you have made a nice model here and done a lot of things right.

I guess my question would be, do you even need a cloth simulation here? I looked at a couple of minion videos (here’s one jumping) and the shoulder straps seem to stay fixed or only really move with the armature. Blender cloth sims work better with longer flowing fabrics, table cloths, curtains, dresses. I can’t really see a cloth sim working with strap.

I would probably either rig the strap or use a shape key to get some shapes you want.

Hi.
You see if this is useful for you:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/38684
I removed cloth. I have subdivided one level the straps. I’m working with the Minion left strap (right from your view). I am using shrinkwrap modifier. I’ve also used Vertex Parent in Edit mode, I selected all vertices from the strap, and the three vertices that you can see in the Body.
https://www.blender.org/manual/modeling/objects/groups_and_parenting.html#vertex-parent
I think Mirror not would be useful to use in more complex animations, you must separate the strap on the right and repeat Vertex Parent with the corresponding three vertices of the right in body.

Ohhh cooollll! Parent + Shrink wrap! So the straps will follow the three vertices even if It has to stretch?
You are the mannnn!!! Thankss

It can work as long as you do not change much the body mesh. Perhaps you also need a bit more offset in Shrinkwrap or/and a little more thickness in Solidify.
In the animation can also happen strange things with Shrinkwrap, so you see if it is useful.
Perhaps doing what Photox (and tutorials) has recommended it could be a more elegant solution.

For straps in scenes with a lot of figure motion I’ve found it useful to use pretty much all of the above suggestions at the same time. Since it’s usually better to keep the Shrinkwrap values to a useful minimum, I usually build a fairly simple adjustment rig as well to help “smooth out” any glitches that may arise. Another tip(if your character is such that it will support this trick) is to build clothing & straps from pieces of the underlying figure mesh that has already been weight-painted – that way the weight of the covering already matches the underlying figure surface, so for large moves things stay in synch a little better. Using a Mask modifier to hide underlying surfaces helps prevent visible peek-a-boos. I used this, Shrinkwrap and a special rig for the top of Katrice’s dance costume in “Kata”

@chipmasque, Very nice animation!

Could you give some details about what is that “simple rig adjustment” to prevent glitches?

Just a bunch of helpful tips there!! But what’s adjustment rig? Pretty new to me…
Oh and you have over 3 mins of great animation of dancing for Katarina!

Thanks for the kind words. For the straps on the costume top I made a separate “corrective” armature with only a few bones that could control various problem spots, particularly in the shoulder region. In addition, the “bra” cups used Shrinkwrap to help keep themselves in place, plus the entire top was made by duplicating faces from the figure, which had already been fully weight-painted. None of these methods alone could prevent the figure from intersecting the top now & then during her vigorous motions, but in combination they were able to pull it off, er, I mean, keep it on :wink:

The corrective armature was made a child of the main figure armature, and its bones would tug various parts of the top back into place if they got too distorted, or if the weight painting for the main figure armature was not enough to keep the straps (shoulder & back) from kind of sinking into the figure mesh during the dance moves. While you won’t want to go to extremes, using multiple armatures on the same mesh is a valid deformation control technique, I use it for facial animation as well.

When I made Kata the Solidify modifier was not yet available but it is extremely useful for clothing, giving it a hint of thin thickness if you catch my rift. I now use it for garments made of any reasonably thick material like leather. In combination with Shrinkwrap it can make close-fitting apparel work quite well without having to deal with two actual layers of mesh.

Oh I like jokes! :))

@chipmasque, thank you for this information.

How impolite of me… Sorry @chipmasque! Thank you!! I appreciate your info :slight_smile:

Errr… Sorry dude for bothering you. I havent quite got the idea of using “corrective amature” yet. Any example please?