I found some of my notes
See blend file named 1 1x4-4.blend. I made the cube and I did this for each one through 4 exactly
Edit mode, marc the seams with edge select click unwrap not face made a new material and the image texture to the color spot .
Now select all in edit mode on the cube un mark seams then marc the seams click marc seams then uwrap then make the new material called TWO add it.
I keep thinking their MUST be a way to assign an image to a part of a mesh. But I just can not figure out what entity that exists in blender that I can assign a image material too. Its like a big mystery to me.
Im not sure but I think things work different with uv maps in blender render. I will be using cycles.
And the Manual does describe a method but is this method valid for CYCLES ??
The workflow for applying a second material to some faces of an object covered by a base material is as follows:
- In Object Mode, apply the base material to the whole object (as shown in [Assigning a materiasl]
- Create/select the second material (the whole object will change to this new material).
- In the Active Material box, re-select the base material.
- Go to Edit Mode and Face Select (a new box appears above the Active Material box with Assign/Select/Deselect).
- Select the face/faces to be colored with the second material.
- In the Object Material Slots box, click the Plus to create a new slot, and while this is still active, click on the second material in the Available Materials list.
- Click the Assign button, and the second material will appear on the selected object faces.
You can also make this new material a copy of an existing material by adding the data-block:
Select the object, get the material, RMB and Copy data to clipboard. When you have renamed the material, click “Link: Data” to link to the existing material. Proceed to assign faces as required. NB: If you change the material on the original object, the new object color changes too.
Are these instructions for use with cycles and do they still work when I am assigning images to the faces and not procedural textures. ?