the dance (virtual sculpture)

Here’s one more I’m ready to show from the as of yet unnamed “virtual exhibit” of “virtual sculptures” I’m creating (I have some titles in mind, one being “an unofficial history of the small world”).

This one is called “The Dance”:

http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1019306/myblenderimages/thedance-byrjt2003.jpg

Hope you like :slight_smile:

RobertT

Nice! This is my favourite of your sculptures. Though that thing on one of the legs looks disturbing. That and that flat arm. I know it is abstract but stil…

Thanks, Monkeyboi :slight_smile: Maybe it would help to think of it not so much as arms as maybe sleeves or wings or flowing whirling dancerlike motion… perhaps… maybe like motion blur in real life… :wink:

RobertT

cool, it almost has the look of a Rodin sculpture

Very nice. I definately like this, as well as your others.
My one feeling towards it though is that the butt is a little too well defined for an abstract type art.

But that’s more a personal opinion on the subject as a whole, not on the actual render (Which is great)

I like the focus point, the way everything flows from this point is really well done, like a dance from reality to virtual, the form and lighting also the texture are just right.

I find your virtual sculptures very pleasing to study, they also clearly portray thier subject, Well Done :o :smiley:

I like your reality of the vertual sculptures.

Ken.

Nothing much to say, but I’m enjoying this series :slight_smile: Are you going to create some VR gallery to show them in or somthing? Like make it in gameblender… hmmm…

Do you sculpt IRL as well?
You should

I love this render RobertT !

OldLink

I’ve been watching this series… This is the best so far. Love it!

Modron: Thank you! I like Rodin. In fact, his famous “thinker” sculpture indirectly inspired two other scuptures in my series, “The Sayer” and “The Doer.”

camel: Thanks! I like some definition in that area (somebody cue the sir mixalot song :wink: ) just kidding :slight_smile: Some sculptures will be more abstract than others. I want to preserve the interpretability, so in all sculptures there will be abstract aspects to them, even if only in their titles. Originally I wanted this particular piece to be vortical (as in Vorticism), and while the sculpture evolved somewhat outward from that concept I hoped in the end (no pun intended) it would retained that center (or centers, as it were) and form a focal point from which motion emanated, almost flowerlike in one sense or flamelike in another. Ok I’ll stop now :stuck_out_tongue:

kencanvey: Thanks for the great feedback! This birth of this series coincided with Blender’s raytracing capabilities, even though relflections aren’t so obvious. It’s more about the shadows and more realistic lighting/shadows due to the raytracing lamps now available. This has helped me make these seem, for all their virtualness, somewhat real, as if there could be such sculptures. I appreciate your interest.

irgeorge: Yes, a virtual gallery is in the works. I have created a number of sculptures, and I have ideas for many more. Gameblender is something I have not considered, and so I thank you for that suggestion :slight_smile: Thank you for your interest in this series.

Erufailon: Thank you! Many years ago I did light sculpting in real life, but nothing major. Blender is like a playground for the mind, a place where anything you dream up you can make, so this has been an awesome outlet for my overactive imagination :slight_smile: One day I hope to have the space to do real sculptures like these. That would be cool. I have great respect for those who do it IRL and realize how much work and thought can go into the simplest of sculptures.

OldLink: Thanks! Due to the raytraced lighting, these images take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour to render depending on the complexity of the sculpture. In most cases there is only one complex mesh in the scene - the sculpture - accompanied by one text mesh for the title and two simple rectangle meshes for the stand. Some sculptures, as you will see, are very complex, and those take the longest to render. Compared to how long it would take in the real world to create such things by hand, though, it’s very fast process.

Gr8RedShark: Thank you! This is definitely one of my personal favories from the series, which is presently envisioned to contain 100 sculptures. Although many are “done” in the sculptural sense, in terms of materials/rendering I’m having some second thoughts for certain pieces, particularly the glass ones. Now that we have refraction there’s something else to consider. Working color into the series was a rather big step, and then breaking from totally abstract, and in some senses going concrete or surreal or dada, were additional big steps, so I’m spending a lot of time going back to some pieces and seeing what can be improved. At one point I partly parody my own revisionist attempts at perfection in a sculpture called Perfectability. Another one of my current favorites, “Sonnet 116,” will be posted shortly.

Well, this has been an awesome artistic journey so far. There’s so much more to be created. I have been working pretty much nonstop these past few months. Blender 2.31a helped me get to the next level - I am profoundly appreciative of the coders’ efforts. When I started this I wanted this to be a major endeavor, not just another couple blends, and it has become that and more. I am so grateful for this community here at Elysiun and the feedback and interest in these pieces. It is encouraging and exciting to know people can actually connect with this stuff :slight_smile:

RobertT

this may have already been answered soemwhere else i did not read, but do you also carve and sculpt in physical mediums (rather than this wonderful bit-and-pixel carving), such as stone, clay, plaster, etc…?
I’ve done a little bit of stone carving recently, and it was a very different experience from CG… I’m a slow modeller, but I found stone an even slower medium… toooo slow! :wink:

Cool, but it looks to much like something. Shoud be more random! Otherwise, it’s great!

really sweet robertt, I think its the best of your sculptures so far
what is the material on it?

Gr8RedShark: In the past I have done that, nothing at all as ambitious as this. I live in a small apartment, so I can’t do big sculptures like these would be in real life, but if I had the space I’d definitely do it. I think it’s important for artists to expand their expressive abilities and to explore various media. I have great respect for real life sculpturists. There is nothing quick or easy about it. I’ve studied sculpture and art in general, so attaining great results in natural media require effort and talent. I think the same can be said of much digital art, especially since there are issues that digital artists have to face that natural media artists do not, such as rendering issues (e.g. raytracing, software issues), and vice versa.

Prismatic: Thanks. Some of the pieces in the exhibit will resemble things (concrete forms), while others will be more at the abstract end of the spectrum. From my science/math/philosophy studies I know there is no real such thing as randomness, but there will be more dynamic if not unpredictable or seemingly random sculptures elsewhere in the collection that might appeal.

skeletor: Thanks, I appreciate that. Almost all materials used in the exhibit are procedural. In some cases I’m using home grown “noisy” textures for some extra nor and specularity. Getting the materials to look right sculpture to sculpture are always a challenge, so there’s no one single material I’ve created yet that seems to work for everything. To that extent I’m creating and tweaking materials for each sculpture as I go along. Raytracing is the other thing that makes a major difference, particularly with the lamps.

RobertT