The Dojo II

Back when I was first learning Blender(I definitely still am but this was the very early days), I did this project entitled “The Dojo.” For lack of other personal projects, I have decided to do a sequel, so here it is. This was modeled, textured, lit, and post -produced purely in Blender. I got the character on the parchment from a free stencil website. C&C much appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

The red curtain looks a bit plain. I’m not entirely sure how to fix that; maybe a soft texture?

I added a texture to the screen. Hopefully that makes it more interesting.

Attachments

Thats much better on that curtain… but if you really want to improve it, then make some more advanced materials!

Yea, the curtain definatley looks better now. Also, move the handle to the actual wood frame instead of the curtain. Your lighting creates an odd shadow in the far, top, right corner of the room and it looks out of place.
If you are really up for the challenge, maybe try to light one of the candles, it should add a bit of mood to the scene.

Thank you for your comments so far. I wouldn’t mind trying to light the candle, as I really enjoy working with nodes, but how would I begin something like that. Would I use the material nodes, the composite nodes, or both.

Cheers.

I usually use a particle system with lamp dupliverts for candles.

Okay, so I believe I have worked out a decent looking candle flame, and accounted for other factors such as light, etc. This is my latest render.

Attachments

Make a katana.
In my katana (works in progress) thread, I describe how I make the handle wrap.

I added a katana to the image.

Attachments

Hello, good work ! I don’t like very much the candles, but the others things are good :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Nice looking! I like the scene, and I’d say turn on AAO and it’ll increase quality.

Hmm, somehow the candles aren’t quite giving you the effect I was imagining. I’m not exactly sure how to change that though. Maybe increase their light and reduce the outside source? Oh and you can also make the flame look more realistic by using some transperency, the add effect, and an orange texture. Here’s a good tutorial on it if you are interested: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Making_Fire

Is a dojo supposed to be a closet or a practice place?
Good render so far.