The edges are still sharp after doing shade smooth

Hello, all

I created this container and smoothed it with shade smooth, but as you see, the selected edges show they are still sharp. How can change the shape to a neat smoothed one?

Thank you beforehand :slight_smile:

It’s hard to see whether there is thickness to the object or not. If you haven’t added thickness to the object, then you can add a thickness modifier and adjust the thickness. Without thickness, the edges will remain sharp. After adding thickness, you can add a sub division surface modifier or a bevel modifier.

1 Like

Hi, usernew

It is just a skin and hasn’t any thickness.

I’m going to use your instruction. Most likely, it is the solution.

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Shade smooth is visual only - it does nothing to the underlying geometry. If you want a truly smooth mesh, then you need to add a subsurf modifier.

2 Likes

Or use something like:

2 Likes

Hello, sir

Where is subsurf modifier. I couldn’t find such option in the modifier box?

It’s called Subdivision Surface there. Subsurf is it’s street name.

1 Like

I often work with Sub D in Rhinoceros

but don’t know where this option is in Blender.

Go to your Modifier Properties panel (the wrench icon on the toolbar along the right of the UI), expand the Add Modifier dropdown, and under the Generate column, you’ll see Subdivision Surface near the bottom.

Alternately, you can highlight your object in Object Mode, and hit Ctrl+1 to activate a subsurf with 1 level of subdivisions. Hit Ctrl+2 for 2 levels, Ctrl+3 for 3, and so on.

1 Like

Oh yes. I didn’t expand the list to the bottom before and now I found and used it.

So based on senior Magnavis’s guidance the shape is smoothed now geometrically not just visually, yes?

Well, please enlighten me, has this new object the mesh features of the previous shape or is a new shape with different attributes?

If you are using modifiers you only see possible mesh changes made to an old object until you apply modiffier.

1 Like

If you’ve used subsurfs before, you should know what’s going on here. The low poly acts as a guide and constraint for the subdivided high poly results.

Though that it defaults to showing the low poly original on top of the subdivided mesh does throw some people for a loop. If you want to see a more conformant cage, go to your Modifier Properties again, look at the subdivision surface modifier, and at the top of the little box, you’ll see a triangle with three verts in it. Click that, and see how it looks.

1 Like

I clicked the icon. It seems two shapes in one shape, right?

It’s the low poly mesh geometry wrapped around the high poly. Like if you subsurf a cube, you’ll get a sphere. The cage normally looks like a square surrounding the sphere, but flipping the On Cage button will average out the low with the high, and you get something that looks kinda like a squircle.

Think of it as an easier way to tell you what elements you can edit, while conforming to the new shape you’re producing.

1 Like

I was going to say “haha that’s a good way to say that”, but it turns out that’s an actual word:

I can’t believe this is real, but who am I to argue with Wikipedia? :sweat_smile:

I am delighted that this is an official word, forgive me my tangent

3 Likes

Yup. It bona fide!

1 Like

Before your friendly discussion (you and Joseph) about squircle word I delivered it to google translate and it translated the word, Squirrel !! LOL

1 Like

Squirrel

1 Like

Anyhow, your explanation was very fruitful for me and I could understand the detail of the technique

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okidoki, those fanned out vertices are exactly what I need, but I can’t figure out how to do it without too much manual labour, and I figure it’s got to be easier than that. Help?