The F keys on a Mac

Does anybody know how to use the F keys on a Mac ?

Does your keyboard have a fn key, use that with the Function keys. You can enable the Function keys to work as standard in System Preferences / Keyboard

Doesn’t work.

If I don’t check the “use as standard”, the F12, for example, which if for rendering an image, instead raises the volume.

If I do check the “use as standard”, the F12 shows me the dashboard.

In the case for F9 in edit mode, either way pressing the key does nothing.

EDIT:

Got it. F12 was being used by mission control. Now I can use F12 for “render Image”

But I still can’t use F9 on Edit Mode to access the editing context, which is what I’m trying to do.

Thanks.

Go into your system preferences->keyboard setup -> Keyboard Shortcuts on the MAC and turn off F9

Hmmm, going for the mis-information technique heh?

Actually the exact answer is, as Richard Marklew pointed out, in System Preferences / Keyboard:
The “Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys” checkbox.
(When this option is selected, press the Fn key to use the special features printed on each key.)

r

Condescending much?

And it’s not wrong either, that switch toggles whether or not the keys are media keys or F-keys by default (you hold Fn for the other behavior). In ADDITION to having a media key, quite a few of the utility functions like Mission Control also have F-key bindings. So F9 is now an actual F9 key rather than a media key, but still triggers Mission Control.

not really, no. and Thanks for the info.