The Flowermaster with a Parasol

Inspired by Monet’s Woman with a Parasol, I portrayed characters from Touhou Project.

I started this in September but stuck and left it unfinished for a while, but last week I stumbled upon the Monet’s work again and decided to finish it.

I used the technique of giving low samples to Cycles/denoiser to get the blurry “painterly” look, added with noisy volume shaders that further confuse the denoiser. I ended up using three renders with 1, 5, and 12 samples and combined them (12-sample render for some details of characters, lower sample renders for other parts).

This is one of earlier renders I did while I was trying the look, giving only 1 sample to denoiser.

I feel that, in some ways, this looks more interesting than the final render. Perhaps I will explore more of this blurrier look in the future.

All in all, I like how the final render turns out. There are some things I’d like to fix (faces, composition, some details) but I left dozens of works unfinished this year so far, so I was inclined to finish this. Well, get to finish more of the unfinished works until the year ends.

2 Likes

Little timelapse video from test renders.