The Future of Blender (3.0++)

Hello everyone.

I have been following blender for a long time now, since 2005/2006, and I have to say that the improvement is so big.

Blender is a very powerful software and it is also noob friendly and also good enough for experienced users.

I was just thinking about blender and how it could be improved and this is a litst I came up with:

Modelling:

• Modelling through a 3D Scanner. (plug in)
    Animation:

• The suites that allow you to track animation so you will beable to animate your character by realtime motion.

Game Engine:

• Should include the ability of programming your game using languages like C++ and C, C#.
  • maybe even make a stand alone Game Engine seperate from the blender 3D modellign and animation so this gives you the abiity to work faster. (this should include the ability to import blender scenes.
  • make a browser add on so people will be able to display games on the web.
  • The way the game is exported into a stand alone is bad. they are using the blender player to display the game.
  • maybe make the engine so that it is using a different licence so that people could sell there games.
  • maybe start small and make the engine able to export to iphones. I think this should be easily done since the iphone uses OpenGL ES and the game engine uses OpenGL so this will be easy really.
    the game engine should be seperated from the whole software to focus on it even more.

Sequal Editor:

• This needs to be worked on more. this is the least used feature of the blender software so it should be simple to use and the effect in it are poor too.
  • I do not know if this effect is already there, I now it is in the node editor but not the sequal editor, this is the chrome key effect for blue/green screen.
    these are the things I thought about on how to improve blender, some of these feature may or may not help blender in the future, so I want your views of what you think.

Well you’d need to go into more detail, like how they would actually work from a users point of view.

I mean, reading some of this stuff, I personally don’t think you know enough about the development and programming side of things, since you say porting across to the Iphone would be easy, even if it were there are issues with Apples licensing and a huge amount of other problems that would make it anything but easy.

I’m guessing you are new to blender, you may have followed it for a few years, but you don’t come across as some one who knows the workings and workflow of blender. Some of your suggestions are worth going into, the rest, well it’s what is posted from most people who really don’t know enough about blender to be able to understand why their ideas aren’t worth looking into.

I’m not trying to discourage you, but I would recommend that you look into the areas you mentioned, for example using 3D scanners. Try to work-out how the workflow process could be made easy from an artists point of few, things like that will help out. Making vague suggesting’s won’t, I’m sorry but that’s the truth.

I have been making games and animation for over 4 years and I actually abandaned it for a few years just so that I could do more advanced programming for games. I have used unity3d and panda3d.

I do programming in C++ and opengl and also sdl, which are the graphic libraries and language (maybe C) that blender uses. I have had a look at iphone porting too and yes I have missed out a point about the SDK which has to be perchased from iphone, maybe this could be dropped or even have an add on that you buy ofcourse.

the 3d scanner could be use full as you get to see your model in real life before on pc and if you are happy with it you can transfere it. this will also attract people who are working on commercial title too.

You can sell games made in Blender. Hell, you can sell Blender itself. Some people do (and people buy it) Weird, yes.

I think there are a lot of things that can be improved about Blender, a few big (including sections I know nothing about), and lots of small tweaks. I love it 98% of the time (about as much as I love Photoshop), and am very glad it’s free, and that there are some great people working on it. I wouldn’t have anything to do with 3d if not for Blender.:yes:

I agree, the 3D scanner would be useful, but it would need to be thought out in such a way as to allow the developers to take that idea and work with it, such as how the scanner would actually link with any hardware, I mean I don’t think 3D scanning hardware is that common nowadays, not for the average user anyway.

Instead of doing all that work, the best thing to do would be to have solid re-topology tools and a very robust importer that can handle multi-million polygon objects, which would be imported from the software used to turn the real-life object into a 3D model.

If you are familiar with programming you could always look into the blender source code, perhaps it’s possible for you to do a few things that you mentioned.

Going back to your first post, I think the idea of separating the blender game engine and Blender would have negative impacts, firstly it would be slower since the current workflow allows you to directly edit content in the viewport and then instantly test that with one button press, if it were a completely separate application you would need to export, import or open and then test and repeat that process if it didn’t work. It may make development for the engine easier, but it sure would impact workflow.

and what about Blender 4.0?
I can not wait Blender 5.0!

Thanks Endi.

Neither can I.

Although I may wait until 2.50 is all ok first, and I know how to use it. Still stuck on 2.48a & 2.49 at the moment.

I’m holding out for Blender 10.7. According the the development roadmap, that is when the make-it-look-good button is added.

Sounds like you haven’t been paying attention,
well, cheers, for I’ve got some good news for you!

Erwin has already started developing the gamekit,
a separate zlib/mit licensed game engine/player for blender,
and it includes a oolong based pipeline/porting to iphone even!

Also, based on that you know C++ why not throw your hat in the ring and help him out,
I’m sure any, even a small, useful patch shall be welcomed happily!

http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/
http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/issues/list

//Cheers! :slight_smile:

“maybe make the engine so that it is using a different licence so that people could sell there games.”

/you can

“maybe start small and make the engine able to export to iphones. I think this should be easily done since the iphone uses OpenGL ES and the game engine uses OpenGL so this will be easy really.”

/been done

The way the game is exported into a stand alone is bad. they are using the blender player to display the game.

/being done

Should include the ability of programming your game using languages like C++ and C, C#.

/you can

maybe even make a stand alone Game Engine seperate from the blender 3D modellign and animation so this gives you the abiity to work faster. (this should include the ability to import blender scenes.

/how will this increase work speed? also there are many seperate game engines with blender integration.

This needs to be worked on more. this is the least used feature of the blender software so it should be simple to use and the effect in it are poor too.

/what effects?

I do not know if this effect is already there, I now it is in the node editor but not the sequal editor, this is the chrome key effect for blue/green screen.

0_o

The suites that allow you to track animation so you will beable to animate your character by realtime motion.

/YOU CAN

I feel so trolled.:mad:

lol well I was just thinking maybe if we, the users, post things that could be improved in the game engine it will look better. and also, I think blender should implement stuff that make maya and 3ds max and unity3d more used for commercial projects and not blender. if they follow on the new technology maybe they could get more users.

Well, the engine is in C/C++ already, so I don’t see why you couldn’t program in that. Don’t forget Python!
I feel like a standalone engine would be faster only if you’re modifying the code for it - but there’s no way it would be faster from an art standpoint.
I remember there was a very specific reason Blender no longer has a web plugin- if you search around the forums you can probably find out why it doesn’t exist anymore. I think it had something to do with browser differences and finding people willing to maintain it.
As people have noted you can sell games.
I would stay away from the iPhone for licensing reasons and iirc you have to program in Objective-C for it (?).
Again, as people have noted, there are many other game engines with the ability to import Blender stuff, so separating the engine from Blender seems like a silly amount of work to do for no real benefit.

I’m hoping 3.0-series to follow a back to the roots -methodology. I want to see all the matrices involved: on screen. I want to see the mathematics affecting my list of vertices. Be it a sin, cos, exponential function, there is a list of vertices, and to see that list on screen, the functions affecting to it. Tables, databases, a lot of theory, embedded html help pages. Not a painting program, but the whole program as an interactive book named “Blender - your guide to the theory of 3D-Graphics”.

I would like to see motion/performance capture, both facial and body integrated into Blender.
Hope one of the future open projects tackle this area.

yes I know what everyone is saying but I was just considering to add features other commercial softwares has so blender will be used for comercial stuff like full length CG movies and games that are finished.

As for the game engine, the plans were that blender would not have an internal game engine anymore.
This is for good reasons, the plan is to better intergrate with existing game engines (plugin style).
I think the game Engine Armori is so far the closest to this idea, and others will likely follow (godot unreal)
I supose fot these engines Blender becomes the plugin (or otherwise).
And then you can code your game with the language you prefer for the devices you prefer.

Its better to seperate blender from this, game engines have a lot of coders in their own project, its not a goal to keep up a Blender internal engine to other industrie used engines, its smarter to join them.

Bro, if you’ve been following THIS site, you can see that someone has still made UPBGE: