The future of blender in the industry

i think blender could focus on some area and make it the best in that nieche. There are softwares of one purpuse which did get used in industry. Like xnormal, topogun.

Blender is not best for (! = very bad)
scuplting!
rendering
retopo
can’t handle complex scenes!
animation
baking!
texturing!
So if you can make people use it in one area, that intoduces blender in their workflow, and they stay there to do more stuff

Example- What if blender focused on performance and retopo? Pro sculpts in zbrush, and where he will retopo? Here’s blender with good retopo tools and adequate viewport . Why not also render it out here instead of marmoset?

I think blender is awesome, bt 2.8 does very little for blender. Its more like devs preparing blender for future development, rather actualy making blender more functional, so dont get your hopes up just jet.

1 Like

Because Blender is an open source project, it doesn’t work that way. The individual developers, whether hired by the BF or volunteer, all have their own areas of expertise and fields of interest. They also each have long running projects that we do actually want to see completed.

If Ton asked them all to focus on one area, the results would probably be very underwhelming. The solution is not to focus the developer base, but to expand it. As Blender gets adopted by serious studios, the expectation is that these studios will hire developers to improve Blender in the areas that they need improved. Unlike proprietary products, Blender is the one package that has the potential to become your studio’s very own in-house software.

4 Likes

I like this statement : )

There is this Animation studio from france who came on the blender conference ( not sure if you seen them ) but they are slowly shifting from maya,max to blender and they have shared some of the files on github at the end of their talk. which made me think studios would be very open as well to some extinct, That’s going to help the BF devs a lot as well …

I am really hoping that day comes fast man ^^:

Speaking of Cathedrals and Bazaars, two visions of use and interaction … talking about Chaos and Order …
Here is the symbolic representation of what is happening with Blender 2.8 … I hope that the message is received by many.

by the cover number 15 of the visionary comic Promethea by Alan Moore and J. H. Williams III and Maurits Cornelis Escher

1 Like

I think there needs to be a wiki of sorts or different packaged list of addons for someone who wants to use blender to animate, or sculpt, or use it as a motion designer. So one could easily install all add-ons that will help with what you are trying to use Blender for.

2 Likes

Good point. In the mean time, here are a few useful links in that regard:

2 Likes

This is one of the reasons I came across this forum. There are some places on the net where that haughty exclusive attitude still runs strong. I figured I would check out the place that blender.org lead me to, and have been happy to see the community is quite a lot more sociable to outsiders/newbies.

1 Like

I think Blender is more than capable (from a VFX standpoint) for feature film work. At my day job, we used it for all the CG assets and animations for 4 feature length documentary films. It was used for everything from scientific charts and erosion animations to full 3D animations of the wilderness sanctuary in the Bible, to creating smoke and physics sims for end of the world VFX shots composited in Nuke.

Why did we choose Blender? Because I’m the guy doing the VFX and it’s what I knew (using Blender since the 2.2x days). I think as more and more young people take an interest in 3D and come to Blender after searching for "Free 3D software), Blender will be used more and more in the industry because that’s what the new kids will know.

3 Likes

Really love hearing people using it professionally like this, more people like you really make a change and yes the way how blender is easy to download for everyone to learn it and use in projects…

but as for now many want to see what blender can do and i think alot of pros needs to make something and present it to prove that its worth it and a strong sotfware, not just in the gaming and animation industry but out side of those as well.

Its hard to find documintation on where blender was used on… surely there is has been alot of pros are showcasing that in the recent last 2 years such as danial and jama but i want to see more ^^:

1 Like

What documentaries? Would love to see more full length work done in blender.

Smoke and physics sim seems to be lacking in tutorials available

I’d suggest this:

1. Blender is, right now “in the industry.” There are professional studios, right now, who have selected it as their standard. And, I’d say, every other organization knows of it, uses it daily, probably contributes to it, and respects it.

2. But™ … the technicalities, economics, and other business realities … really, “of data-processing in general” … will ensure that now-successful products like Maya, Renderman, 3DS, and so on, will never lose their place – nor will Blender. In my opinion, it’s nonsensical to pursue any sort of a “versus” comparison here.

At the end of the day, there’s a job to do … and probably millions of dollars’ worth of other people’s(!) money is paying for it. Your ability to earn that money depends entirely upon your ability to deliver. Again. Therefore: “are you eager to change a process – whatever it may be – that works?” Uhh, “not only NO, But …” :smiley:

When faced with a deadline, the very last thing you want to do is to change your printing press …

from 2006 - to - 2010 I worked on projects at Rai, the Italian national TV
and we created documentary transmissions like Superquark - Ulisse - LineaBlu, obviously at the time 3d Studio Max, Maya and Softimage XSI were the masters … but when I could, and in projects where I could work on it alone … I used blender … I created some models and animations for the Circus Maximus , I created the simulation of a Roman ship that sank by sinking some sarcophagi found in the sea bottom and that were found
I created some models of Aztec pyramids, I created models of the regions of Italy and then the animated scenes, I created the model of the Hindenburg disaster and small animations, I created the reproduction of the Rosetta Stone that served for some vfx effects, I created the ancient port of Lipari which is now sunk underwater … and many other small projects that were effects for transmissions …

… and just consider how dramatically different “the Blender of 2019” is, from the tool that you used at that time!

I don’t like the term “open source,” especially when it’s prefixed by the nonsense-word, “free.” (Software is never free.) The term that I like to use is "cooperative software development." And this is unquestionably a game-changer. You wouldn’t have the phone in your pocket or most(!) of what you have on the Internet without it: the costs of software development are so damned high that they could (and, have …) bankrupt a company that tries to use a revenue-driven business model. Instead, everyone contributes to core technologies on the [legally enforced] condition that no one can build a wall and put up a ticket-booth. They’re free to build their proprietary offerings on top of that cooperative base. This strategy has proved to be economically successful and opens many doors.

'Because ‘nobody wins’ (in the conventional sense), everybody wins." No one bears the [hideous …] costs alone.

But – proprietary products work also, and the vendors of products like Maya and 3DS continue to earn their profitable keep. The decision to standardize your production line on them isn’t wrong. And, the decision to standardize your production line, today, on Blender isn’t wrong either. But what you will never, ever, see happen (IMHO …) is “switching.” The return-on-investment isn’t there and the risks are extreme. Whether you’re talking about graphics or something else, it simply doesn’t happen. Because it simply doesn’t make sense.

in the other tread we talk about people who shouldn’t work all the time due to technological evolution and automation, so people in theory might not have the need to work all the time to survive and in the discussion the reasoning that many people without having a purpose that occupies them all the time the mind feels lost …
so the matrix scene of the clash between the smith agent (the agent of the matrix - the society - the companies - the work - the proprietary software) and neo (the free man, the independent man, the open source) came to mind and while I refreshed my memory, it made me think how that scene was a perfect metaphor on what is happening to blender vrs the other proprietary softwares, but also to the whole society for how it is structured, for how in these years the two sides have become more and more radical … and as everything is collapsing recently … in the end the final scene of the matrix revolutions is prophetic and also inevitable … and we will all find ourselves in a new world where the old rules of the 900’s will no longer be worth

i also use blender in a professional environment, i create abstract stuff for projection mapping related stuff, and lately we did a tv spot in Blender, but i work in a little agency and they dont care what soft we work with

2 Likes

In this regard Blender is just another in a long line of software products (some very well funded) whose users spoke those same words. They all had their fans, and they all had their successes, but they never became the one-true-tool used by all the big players.

I think being mad that Blender is not more accepted/recognized/used is not a productive state of mind, because it’s not really a problem that can be addressed head-on. You can’t just go out and defeat the Autodesk marketing team in mortal combat, stick their heads on pikes, and declare a new golden age of Love and Blenderness.

Better perhaps to just keep working to make Blender the best that we can be, even if that’s much more incremental than some people would like, and trust that its power + open source + cost + licensing will add up to something that “industry people” will truly find compelling. It is already heading in this direction, and a LOT of people in the industry are watching 2.80 very closely. I think Blender’s fortunes are looking pretty good at the moment.

So contribute, whether that means money to the dev fund, helping other users though tutorials/videos or on these forums, or writing add-ons, or contributing the the core development process through code, helping triage bugs, and even just contributing to the design conversations.

And more than anything, go out there and do amazing work in Blender.

Eh, depends on how you look at it. It’s true you’ll rarely see a studio with an active project switch unless whatever they’re switching to is really a game changer. However, studios are founded and closed, projects are completed or cancelled, teams split and merged, and so, once in a while, they have opportunities to revise the pipeline. It’s mainly in these cracks in continuity that we may see some “switching” in the sense that the same people now use something different; over the course of a professional’s 40-year career, he will probably have thus switched several times.

1 Like

In the GTC presentation by Redshift, they say that people have been asking them to do a Redshift 3D render plug-in for Blender for years and their answer has always been “No, we’re never going to do that”.

But now it seems like everyone is asking them to bring Redshift to Blender so they’re doing it and it’s mostly working now and they may be demoing it at Siggraph.

So yes, things do change.

I just started using Blender just over a week ago and am loving it so far. I had used 3DS Max many years ago as a hobbyist so I have some familiarity with modeling principals and techniques but it has been a long time since I have actually done any modeling and I have found Blender 2.8 quite easy to pick up and start running with. I had heard of Blender many years ago when I was using 3DS Max but didn’t really look at it at all.

Even though I haven’t been around Blender long, it does seem like with the 2.8 beta update it is really capturing some attention. My brother had asked me if I had ever used Blender and I said no, but I then went and looked at it again and saw the 2.8 update and what was in the update. I was going to start modeling again anyway to start making some game assets for an indie game and was planning on using Maya but when I saw what the new Blender looked like and that it was free I decided to give it a shot and I’m glad I did.

Beyond me, it does look like it is slowly gaining more recognition in the industry. Recently the Netflix Original “Next Gen” was created using Blender. They state 95% of the film was created using Blender.

The below video is not the actual “Next Gen” movie but a talk given by Jeff Bell from Tangent Animation studio at Blender Conference 2018 about how they made Next Gen using Blender. I know the video thumbnail looks like it’s the actual movie but it’s not :smile:

I am about to go watch the actual movie on Netflix to see how it looks. :slight_smile:

Anyway, just wanted to give my newbie perspective. I think Blender is really picking up some steam and is a solid production ready tool.

2 Likes