The future of Blender Internal

I’ve been hearing rumours that blender internal will soon cease to be a part of blender. Is that true? I would hate to see it go. I hope the developers spare a few thoughts for us with lower graphic configurations, and also, it works quite well with the cartoony style animations that I like.

I’ve been hearing rumours that blender internal will soon cease to be a part of blender. Is that true?
I’d expect it to be a long time before the BI is removed, if at all.

I have not heard any rumors like that.

It won’t be removed, probably ever, but it has no “future” per se. There is no more development happening for it, and it would probably be worth it for something like Microrender to replace it wholesale at some point after feature completion. BI is slow, hacky, and difficult to wade through from a coding perspective. A NPR renderer could be built from the ground up with things like glossy reflections in mind instead of hacking them on top of an ancient engine. It is assumed that as time progresses and code improves and hardware becomes more powerful that Cycles will be acceptable for a large percentage of rendering needs. If it gets close to Arnold, it will be true. People often forget the slight tradeoff in render speeds for a dramatic reduction in artist time as well when using a predictable engine like Cycles. It will just take time for it to be adopted by the community as a whole, and feature completeness will help greatly.

Bah, humbug. :slight_smile: BI might not be the focus of heavy-duty development attention at the moment, but that shouldn’t be taken to mean that it’s going anywhere. Fact is, Blender right now has three built-in rendering technologies: BI, Cycles, and Game. It has external interfaces to many more.

The fundamental approach provided by each built-in engine is very different in each case, and that’s what makes them so useful: it’s easy to select the one(s) that suit a particular application. You don’t have to “choose a winner.” Renders aren’t the end of the pipeline anyway.