The future of Open Source

So what do you think the future of OSS, Free software and the likes of Linux and Blender etc. will be?

Personally I’m very optimistic, as I notice that the constant growth of the communities and the unstoppable developement and improvement of such software will provide very stable, user-friendly and free (as in both beer and speech :cool:) enviroments for work and recreation… The only real problem one can have with linux, i think, is lacking a good internet connection… troubleshooting and installing software can turn to a hellishly annoying experience without the internet, as far as I’m concerned! But i don’t think that shoiuld change, instead i think the internet should reach even more houses, it’s more than the present and future, it is equal to your fridge, but on a computing level :stuck_out_tongue:

The same as it is now. Why would it become any different?

Because change is a law of nature :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to jump at any topic like this a couple of years b4 (when i was 15 and just an early lover of the FOSS) But now i have understood that such discussion have no meaning at all(though it does generate brilliant ideas many times). I think the market is perfect for now (ok not soo perfect but it is approaching it). We need software giants to give 9-6 jobs to people who then in there free time work on FOSS projects. Lets get it straight nobody can survive without food so we need some proprietry companys to give us some. But eveyone should get there fair share and thats what is lacking. The big’uns are playing it dirty some times. But FOSS people are also to blame for the lack of market share. Have you ever seen a newspaper ad for linux or a Radio speech on use of blender like software, HELL we dont even have big institues in most countries which teach FOSS tools. So this needs to be changed. Thats what i have to say.

I used to jump at any topic like this a couple of years b4 (when i was 15 and just an early lover of the FOSS) But now i have understood that such discussion have no meaning at all(though it does generate brilliant ideas many times). I think the market is perfect for now (ok not soo perfect but it is approaching it). We need software giants to give 9-6 jobs to people who then in there free time work on FOSS projects. Lets get it straight nobody can survive without food so we need some proprietry companys to give us some. But eveyone should get there fair share and thats what is lacking. The big’uns are playing it dirty some times. But FOSS people are also to blame for the lack of market share. Have you ever seen a newspaper ad for linux or a Radio speech on use of blender like software, HELL we dont even have big institues in most countries which teach FOSS tools. So this needs to be changed. Thats what i have to say.

It’s kinda off topic and i am sorry for that,but, why OSS has an extra S,i meane,Source only have one S

EDIT: Wait,is because to not confuse with Operative System.right

It’s kinda off topic and i am sorry for that,but, why OSS has an extra S,i meane,Source only have one S

EDIT: Wait,is because to not confuse with Operative System.right

OSS = Open Source Software

I think OSS will progress & become larger as time goes by.

The future of OSS is strong.
the strength of the applications…we will see.
The use or release of OSS by commercial companies, look out for that.

I mean (hypothetically) say MS opens it’s paint program source.
x amount of OSS devs go yay, start fixing it, release the fixed code,
MS takes the code, bundles it again,
sells it to the 90% of users unaware of the OSS version.
The payment of course is for packaging & support.
the code is released again,
MS sacks a team of devs, makes a bundle & it’s all legal.

one thing lacking in OSS is development unity.
an example. (hypothetical)
Fred writes a 3d program.
Jed writes a 3d program.
Bill writes a 3d program.
Jane writes a 3d program.

Fred see’s some of Bill’s code & likes it.
he doesn’t use it because he wants to write his own.
Jane likes Jed’s code, but feels it looks like Bill’s.
Even though it is opensource, Jane wont use the code.
Jane feels she would be losing face by not using her own.
Jed takes all their code, writes his program, gives up OSS & gets a job at Pixar.

lol.

if they all worked together, they could have written…
21345 versions of Linux.
instead of the one to beat MS.
(sarcasm)

Imagine MS paint become like Photoshop,that would be pure awsome factor

MS Paint is in Vista exactly like it was for 98 (and I think 95), also in my opinion it’s a step down from the 3.1 version because in that one there were pretty patterns (to make up for lack of color choices, advanced colors were emulated in the comic book fashion resulting in more artistic appeal for a small child). I find it surprising that with all their money Microsoft was unable to upgrade paint even a little bit, I mean, it’s painfully difficult to use and results in a certain “total n00b” look in anything created with it.

But of course, that’s what the people have come to expect from Microsoft.

The future of Open Source??

Open Source is the future

Here’s what users perceive about the future of OSS. It’s a generally optimistic expectation.

http://acquia.com/northbridgesurvey