The future of travel: The hovervan

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0312ck5.jpg
http://gallery.mudpuddle.co.nz/albums/kansas15/0312_G.thumb.jpg
In the future, forget about wheeled vehicles we’ll have hovercars, and hovervans. Here shows a hovervan in testing, connected to its charger to deliver it the special fuel it needs to hover.

In this case a fresnal texture with anisotropic reflections and specularity worked wonders.:slight_smile:

I’d say it looks more like a frankly weird, short double-decker bus or a train car than a van, but anyway - the anisotropic effect worked pretty well. Don’t really care for the turquoise glow though, too heavy.

I must admit, I admire your persistence - and your copious amounts of free time :slight_smile: You’ve definitely developed a thicker skin as well as making progress.

There seem to be some nasty jaggies going on in your pic.

Gold and cyan, what a unique color/colour combination. Nice try on an old theme, although i dont think building regs would ever allow the construction of a building in that colour. Your picture works best at about 50% scale.

i think your use of colour in this pic is actually really good - atmouspheric, and it looked like you’ve thought about that last thread.

I quite like this actually. Of course some things could be improved. I imagine this vehicle in more of a complex-architecture docking station with lots of wires and tubes and metal beams…but that’s just me.

Nice image. :smiley:

Very nice! I actually really enjoy this, though The textures need work. Drop the procedurals man, they just arent as good…

Wow cool. I really like how the bus is like panelled and stuff. There are some funny aliasing thingys. You have to get some new textures tho for the floor and stuff, cause they don’t do it justice :smiley:

I’m glad that you all like it.

I can tell in this case the rating didn’t indicate the type of reply I would get. I actually like this a little better then the bed.

Drop the procedurals man, they just arent as good…

There’s some people who made pretty good stuff with procedural textures, I guess it’s all on preference.

Nah but they’re too repetitive for like the ground and stuff like that cause it should vary imo.
No Idea why thisis getting a “bad” rating…

I’ll give good a good rating for this picture!

There’s some people who made pretty good stuff with procedural textures, I guess it’s all on preference.

Very true. Unfortunately, you dont.
It’d be easier, and look better visually to switch to image based stuff, at least for some things. I know you can pull 'ol procedurals on a fair bit of stuff, but sometimes it just doesnt look very good.

I personally think for many things, image textures take a lot of time to make and you have to be careful to not have seams with UV unwrapping. With procedurals you get a seamless result.

Now for some things image textures are better like a color map for a creature, but I’m fine in that case because many times you can just use Blender’s texture paint mode.

I personally think for many things, image textures take a lot of time to make and you have to be careful to not have seams with UV unwrapping. With procedurals you get a seamless result.

Man, you’re just coming off as lazy. Im not even talking UV textures. You can get free(and very nice) tileable textures that, when used in conjunction with eachother, can be extremely useful, and look fantastic.

The thing I like about procedurals is, for one thing, if you don’t like it, change it in Blender, don’t go back to the paint program, change it in Blender. Then there’s the fact you can make them unique and not one that’s been used in 1000 other pieces of art (though that can be solved by making your own.)

And to my knowledge image textures can’t be used with the same colorband that you can use with procedurals. Meaning you do more flipping back and forth between Blender and the paint program for color and alpha until you get it right or hope the texture you downloaded or made works without needing an edit.

Whatever.

It all seems to boil down to you being lazy. You dont want to do the work to make your images better.

But, I guess its up to you, feel free to simmer in your mediocrity…

And people like you who seem to wish for procedurals to be removed from Blender is why few people care about improving them.

I’m not kidding, it almost seems like procedural textures is the most hated feature in Blender, why not tell that to the famous Mr. Perlin himself. Why not say to Wizard his work is stupid just because it deals with procedurals.:spin:

I like using procedurals, but I can’t believe you would go and attack people who even use procedurals by calling them lazy and mediocre.

CyborgDragon… again misunderstanding what people try to tell you.

What he is trying to say, is that you can achieve HIGHER DEGREE of quality by using image texture. You really can’t deny that. You can do great stuff with procedural…but that “great stuff” is when you do soooo well with procedural people won’t even notice you are using them.

in your case…it does look like “lazyness”…you barely used a checker map and a cloud map…I mean… “wow”…that is soo wonderful…

Nobody hates procedurals in blender. People hate people that uses blender procedurals in a non-realistic ugly way.

The fact that you NEVER tried to make anything with a texture slapped on it makes you a bad 3d artist. Relying on a technique that no one seems to like except you… well I don’t need to explain.

Now there are things that I like about your pictures. Almost every render has a great viewing angle. So thats good. Like this picture.