The Great Couple

Blender Matt thank you. Again, in Italy we use to say: “campa cavallo…che l’erba cresce” (google translation: “bell horse … that the grass grows”) and also: “aspetta e spera” (wait and hope)… we will see

CCTrevis, in Italy they were ‘Stanlio e Ollio’, yeah, good memories…
Thank you again!

ciao,
paolo

Great work sourvinos,
Looks awesome,
Props on top row too
Cheers,
~Tung

Thank you Tung for your compliments!

Cheers,
paolo

This is some amazing work! I instantly recognized the character and material. Great choice of characters to sculpt! The only thing that I saw that perhaps was off just a little or maybe I just haven’t seen enough bronze work, the material almost appears like really hard plastic especially when looking at the hats on how the light reflects. Once again, I’m just going off of what I recall so perhaps the shader is accurate. This is one of my favorite CGI! I admire people with your incredible talent. These character really seem ‘alive’ or ‘real’ to me in the facial expressions.

Yes, this is perfect. Actually harder (and brave) to do characters so recognisable. I love it.

Terrific work!

Amazing final! Great sculpting.
Congrats.

Sourvinos, how did you get the texture map for the green tarnished part? Is that painted on in paint mode?

That fat face guy looks like Gardner from “The Plat00n” movie.

Gardner: “I’m so tired…”

Excellent sculpts my friend. :slight_smile:
I like your shader a lot.
Nice work and congrats for the top row.

Bonixmusic, thank you for your compliments!

I am with you about the good choice, so amazing characters they were!

About the bronze, I totally agree, it’s not so metallic as I would.
The shader is not accurate at all, I didn’t even took any reference, so I can say it comes from my recalling it. And think, there is also an HDR background for reflections, but I cannot see it.

paolo

I recognized Oliver Hardy right away in the feature row and was happy to see both Laurel and Hardy in the final image. The sculpting work looks perfect, in my opinion, and the normal map adds a lot of realism. I also like that you have some backlighting, although the hats could use a little more of it for contrast.
I might suggest a little bit of reflection on the granite bases, since granite often has a little bit of reflectivity. It also adds some pizzazz.

swmo, thank you very much!

Recognizable characters are a double edged sword, easy to resemble, difficult to do it in convincing way, thats why I say they could be made way better athough they are identifiable.

paolo

cekuhnen,
thanks a lot for your so emphatic compliment!!

paolo

OrAngE,
a big thank you!

paolo

Atom
although I have seen Platoon, I don’t remember it so well, I have made a google search for Gardner and Garner but I found nothing.

paolo

great work man puts a smile on my face watching them.

qutorial,
there are no image textures, because Dintopo sculpt destroys UV maps and make a new one after sculpting must be a pain.
The green part is made by a Dirty Vertexpaint map, I followed suggestions and tips by Doris and other at the Dintopo Tests thread here and below: #2629.
I’m quite sure there must be some great explanations of this effect by Michalis somewhere in this forum, I never sculpted before so I was not directly interested to these technics, but now I want to make a deep search on the matter.

Anyway, you should definitely look at some Michalis’ sculptures if you want to get an idea of which beautiful effects are possible, and for a subtile and nice use of it look at Doris’ works and at her clear tutorial to the topic, in the same forum linked above.

paolo

AlinB,
a sincere thank you!

For anybody interested, here is the nodes I used for the bronze material.
I apply the dirty map three or four times consecutively, as suggested by Blender Matt in the Dintopo thread (Thank You!)
The Attribute node points to that vertexpaint and of course it needs to be tweaked via the color-ramp, case by case.

paolo

GreekX, Thank You, glad to hear!

paolo