The Hall of Dwarven King Darth Pippin...

So for the really stupid title, but I was messing around and created a small hall ala Lord of the Rings. It’s not textured, done completely in Blender, and hopefully in a few days I’ll have a bigger one. I have something like 16 pillars (not all visible in this pic) and I’m hoping to do around 50-60. But that’s then and this is now.

http://www.freewebs.com/dpip/pillar3.jpeg

(Warning, kinda big.)

C&C please. Second pic I uploaded here, but my first one was really stupid. So I’m saying it’s my first -real- submission.

they need to be taller.

aww, you got me all worked up over the title :frowning:
anyway, you have so many pillars, the weight of themselves would collapse the building :smiley: and there is no bottom to them!?

The pillars don’t seem to quite touch the ceiling or the floor in some places. The door just leads to darkness, which looks a little odd. Perhaps add another simple room in there. I like the idea. Keep it up.

"and hopefully in a few days I’ll have a bigger one. I have something like 16 pillars (not all visible in this pic) and I’m hoping to do around 50-60. But that’s then and this is now. "

…so maybe this should be in the WIP forum, if you still intend it as an ongoing project.

the pillars are well modelled and shaped, but they are not proportional to their height: they should either be thinner/more slender OR make them much taller. and maybe space them out a bit. they look too cramped and close together.
I agree with DMBadCat: why don’t the pillars have bottoms? I guess they don’t HAVE to (but I’m not an engineer/architect, so i could be wrong), but i think they would look better if they had.

…so maybe this should be in the WIP forum, if you still intend it as an ongoing project.

No… this is a finished product. My next blend is going to be a huge hall.

The pillars don’t seem to quite touch the ceiling or the floor in some places. The door just leads to darkness, which looks a little odd. Perhaps add another simple room in there. I like the idea. Keep it up.

and

and there is no bottom to them!?

Technically, they do touch the ceiling, the perspective throws everything off tons. And they do end at the ground, but since I didn’t texture 'em, they look ‘seamless’, abit.

I was making a room to put in there, but couldn’t light it right, so I’m going to just make my huge dungeon. But I’m busy with my new fav tool, terragen :smiley:

THanks for the c&c so far :slight_smile:

no! I meant look at the bottom and the top! every pillar I’ve EVER seen, always looks pretty much the same on the bottom as the top… you have nothing to keep the button from sliding out from under! just like buildings, it should get smaller at the top, not the bottom-- or it should stay straight, all the way up!
Manage your weight…

Very bland and boring to look at. Better luck next time champ.

I somehow can’t see the picture… proabably it’s me … . I have these things alot…

md01

Dwarves would carve the chamber out of solid rock. This looks constructed. The pillars of Moria were described as carved like tree trunks with roots going into the floor and boughs upholding the ceiling. I don’t think anything should look perfectly smooth or square.

oh… if it’s underground… I guess the weight would be different… you’d need all those pillars close together like that… and you wouldn’t have to worry about the bottom sliding, because it was there in the first place…

but the big question is… is this a carved underground cave, or is it some kind of cement or stone to a building?

Uh… dunno :wink: The finished product will be an underground cave (Misty Mountains, to be exact). Wait… Misty Mountains was Moria… bah, I’m confusled. Been a while since I read the Hobbit.

Dwarves would carve the chamber out of solid rock. This looks constructed. The pillars of Moria were described as carved like tree trunks with roots going into the floor and boughs upholding the ceiling. I don’t think anything should look perfectly smooth or square.

That’s a good point, although Tolkien described them as loving their work. I think Dwarves would take the time to carefully scuplt each pillar in a grand hall such as this one :o :o Well, mine’s not as grand. shrug

Man, you build it up so much in your original post, but when I see it, all I see is some cubes and cylinders. My 5 year old son, who has grown up with Blender, could do much better. He does have some modeling skills. He has went way beyond primitive shapes. As far as a scene, its good, but cmon, don’t build it up so much, ugh!!!

NDNChief…