This is my entry for the Blender Guru Steampunk Competition. It was a pleasure to participate and to have the support from all the fine Blender Artists that helped me during the creation of this image with their insightful thoughts, suggestions and encouragement.
Thanks to all of you. This image would not be what it is without you, guys!
Mr. Scent, whom you see here on his daily service, is a municipal officer in the city of Boombury. Boombury is a booming and prospering city. Over the last two decades municipal authorities were able to attract plenty of heavy industry companies. Unfortunately there is a little problem with the smelling byproducts of that industry now. And people started to call their town Boobury.
This new name got around fast. And the mayor, Mr. John Wealth at that time, realized that all of a sudden the taxes went down. He didn’t welcome that, as we know today. After some restless and sleepless nights he created the BMSO squad, the unit of the Boombury Municipal Scent Officers.
“They shall spread the scent of prosperity”, Mr. Wealth said. And he provided them with everything they need to bring a fresh and lovely flavor back to the plagued citizens.
The citizens for their part welcomed the new service. They were grateful, how well and prosper the city smelt. “Look!”, they used to say, and some of them also said “Smell!”. “Don’t we have an ingenious, thoughtful, and caring mayor?” And shortly after that a new salutation was adopted by the upper classes. “Have a lovely smell today!” And the correct answer to that was “And may all your day be full of blossoms.”
The Scentmen became well known and respected civil servants. Although - there are absurd rumors lately. People whisper that some of them make a little extra money and stay away from boroughs where the inhabitants refused to pay an unofficial bad smell protection fee. But that’s surely only rumor.
At least we know that our Mr. Scent is an upright BMSO man of the first hour. He lives for the scent of the city and he loves his fragrant duty.
- Concept sketching: Krita
- Modeling: Blender
- Sculpting: Blender
- Texture painting: Blender / Gimp
- Textures cobblestones: PixPlant trial version
- Shading: Cycles
- Render: Cycles
- Compositing: Blender / Gimp
Consultants - in order of appearance:
- speed777777 aka Shaun, the skin shader master,
- Carel de Winter, a competitor with a fascinating scene and story,
- my dear harleynut97,
- Photox, another competitor with a suberp entry,
- NID Graphics, with a strong and competitive glorious render,
- TheOldGost, the wise man,
- Xerubian, who is participating with a cool scene,
- Clockmender, you should have a look at his current train project,
- Payntr, who was absolutely right about the perspective,
- tomtuko, with his thrilling combination of blender for a music project,
- Jamie B, what you made with your Telecalculograph is steampunk par excellence,
- and James Candy, the master of VFX
Besides that I really enjoyed the discussion among the competitors. Although we are competitors we are all blenderheads, aren’t we Thanks a lot again!
Best of luck to all who participate in this competition!