The latest in Eevee/Grease Pencil demos and animations

Motion Graphics from Fracteed (the mesh was an import from Houdini, but Eevee is the render engine).

The list of reasons to purchase Cinema 4D continues to get smaller.

1 Like

A demo on glass shader for Eevee

6 Likes

Let me spin that around

Now, if only C4D users could learn Blender. Everything would be different :weary:

We would certainly have less C4D biased praise and comparisons in this forum. C4D is not everything or relevant to everyone.

Back on topic, nice eevee experiment I saw today on twitter

https://twitter.com/fracteed/status/1049922529987649536

5 Likes

Lots of inspiring stuff. Lots to learn. Hi every one

My initial grease pencil addition. Learned a lot. (Ideas section was external software, weird fps)

4 Likes

I did. And it did wonders to me.
Like a dark fog was lifted from my soul, i was able to not only learn Blender but also: Linux, Substance D+P, Krita, Nuke, Fusion, Resolve, Houdini (i am still on it and learning).
C4d is easy, too easy. It makes you lazy and content with low quality.

Back to topic. Nobody posted this yet:

3 Likes

I think this was posted back in the mega thread in the earlier days. Itā€™s fantastic work.

Here I made a video for smoke simulation in Eevee, from an old file that I had about a youtube Ink drop tutorial for Cycles:

5 Likes

Great test! Is it possible to push the quality even further? Right now, there is still the ā€œgridā€ artifacting in the thinner areas of the smoke that are visually distracting.

Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s not a limitation of Eevee.

Hi.
Some of the artifacts are by Smoke simulation itself, not an Eevee problem. There are some reports on the respect, and apparently it is not so visible with a good configuration:
https://developer.blender.org/T52768

Anyway, Iā€™m somewhat lazy and do not have the patience to do several tests with different configurations of Smoke simulation at high resolution, taking them several hours of processing. Perhaps if it were possible, Blender should have a better default setting in Smoke simulation values to avoid those artifacts.

About eevee quality, 2px Tile Size in Volumetric item for Eevee is very hard processing at least on my machine and gpu, it practically blocks my system. So I render with 4px
Edit:
I have done another test and in my case those artifacts are generated mainly by Adaptive Domain. Probably bad configuration on my part.

Thanks for the explanation. I was merely curious whether the artifacting is the smoke sim problem or an Eevee problem. Good to know itā€™s not Eevee, because Iā€™m hoping to be able to use it for quick VFX elements. Yeah, a good default setting to avoid artifacts would be great.

Eevee is really cool. My latest work with it. Manuel bastion addon used for base model of characters ;- )

5 Likes

Not strictly just Eevee / Grease Pencil, but hereā€™s a development demonstration of using Grease Pencil in VR:
https://twitter.com/pepeland/status/1050705700408705024/

3 Likes

Also, @Jama_Jurabaev turned a Grease Pencil drawing into 3D mesh. Not entirely sure how, but some cool wizardry happening here.

9 Likes

I guess itā€™s the grease pencil converted to a bezier curve, then some sculpting/retopo on top of that ? Pretty nice trick anyway !

Itā€™s likeā€¦ (according to what Jama says in one of his comments)

GP Stroke -> Bezier Curve (with Line Stroke disabled)
-> Copy this B-Curve -> Paste it in 2.79 instance [Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V works]
-> Add some needed parameters to make it like tubes
-> Convert into Mesh Object
-> Import this in Zbrush and run Zremesher
-> Sculpt it to add the finer details (if required)
-> Import back into Blender with the simplified topology.

1 Like

here is some rigging stuff on eevee

the walk cycle need more polishing
if you want the character with the rig
you can support me on gumroad

1 Like

actually it works out of the box in 2.8, u can convert it the stroke into bezier then into a mesh which gives a good result the only things is the convert menus are missing u have to do it with search.

2 Likes

This menu lives inside the Edit mode (alt+c) :v:

3 Likes

Oh thanks man, i suspected it was hidden somewhere but i never found it,

hahaā€¦ Convert to ā€œMesh Objectā€ is still hidden from the Menu (or hotkeys). Polygon Curve is almost the same as the Bezier Curve as of now. However, I could get it done via Search ā€œConvert toā€ option.

I wonder, why itā€™s still not being exposed in the directly in the Menu itself. Probably, performance issues??

1 Like