The Lighthouse (Concept by Goro Fujita)

@bartv
Thanks so much Bart! I’m super happy to be featured up there in the gallery!

@MartinKlekner @Okavango @rombout @xumu
Thank you guys for your interest into what I’ve made there!
Since a lot of you were corious about how I’ve made it, I’m gonna try to breakdown this in some key steps right there:

(note: Materials are just FLAT - NON EMISSIVE shaders, so the actual colors are just vertex painted colors over the mesh)

1. There are 3 different HSV shading of the base vertex colors there are mixed by using procedural textures:
    Playing around with Noise, Musgrave, Voronoi and Wave allows you to make some sorta of “hand painted” strokes. I’m just using the BW texture as a mask for the fac of a mix node within i put the base color and a different HSV variation of it ; )
    Use as much variation and mask as you like, usually 3-5 shading are more than fine to achieve that random painted effect : )
    Making different mask for each different object ( or group of them, just as for the clouds) will help the scene to look more “random” and less procedurally generated!

1. Since materials are flat-non emissive, there are 2 custom nodes branches working on the rims/highlights (1st pic) and enhancing the shadows (2ns pic). As above, normals are used as a mask to mix the base with a darker/lighter variation of itself : )

1. Three layers are then rendered:
  • Flat colors,
  • Warm/Cold lights (just override the scene with a white diffuse material and place 2 ore more lights to have a cool global illumination)
  • AO/Shadow Pass

1. In compositing there’s a specific trick I like to use, which is using noise/grain texture to displace the final image by some (little) random values. This will “mess up” most of the borders of the objects, blending the colors just like a real painted illustration : )

I know this is a really “short version” of the whole process, but I hope those little hints can help you figure out the basics of the process and make a your own version of it : )

Cheers!

Davide

16 Likes