the little girl - tree of love (11/10: custume +anim pg2)

needed some exercise to try on those new editmodes, face and edge selects, and optimal modes… they look very very nice, so I tried a little something to get the hang of them… see if I can squeeze them into my workflow.

I tell you, sometimes the optimal mode is VERY confusing… I add something, and the lines go flying :slight_smile: and sometimes I pull and pull and nothing realy seems to happen. heh… then back in non-optimal mod I see lot of overlapping faces :slight_smile:

anyways, I think I can learn to use them… just little practise. :slight_smile:

so I started modelling the LittleGirl, I hope body will follow soon, so far, got as far as the neck… here she is:

http://www.kimppu.org/basse/halloween/uploads/TheCharacters/girl2.jpg
(made totally in optimal mode, hehheh)

.b

Excellent work basse. She definitley has that basse style to her.

Her eyes seem to be a little too far into her head. You can see the large gap around her eyes.

BgDM

Yep, I concurr with BgDM’s comments about the eyes being sunk inward. However, my solution would be a bit different. I suggest you pull in the area surrounding the eyes. Otherwise, it looks like she has giant, goggle-like bones around her ocular area.

Very, very well done, however. I really like the circles under her eyes. I’m impressed with how fast you’re churning out all these works. I was just watching your Konqi video. Good stuff.

Gack, those huge eyes and deformed body, it’s like she’s trying to get you to post comments on how professional he looks :o

Deformed body? She doesn’t look like she has a body yet to me :wink:

:slight_smile: i didn’t quite understand what mr kansas there was trying to say, but yes… she doesn’t have any body yet… I hope to ge to that soon… tomorrow maybe if time.

thanks for the words… i trimmed the eyes a bit… moved them little bit closer, gave her just a bit more bridge of nose… and pulled eyes+surroundings little bit… oh. and little bit other things…

http://www.kimppu.org/basse/halloween/uploads/TheCharacters/girl3.jpg

I think I’ll leave the face like it is for now… continue on with the body… and then I come back to the face… if it’s needed… I need to see the whole girl first… :slight_smile: she will be filmed mostly from front… bird view… so… as long as she works from that angle I’m happy :slight_smile: heh… remains to be seen…

thanks again!

.b

which version has these new edit modes ? or is it something totally new ?

well, I used only the optimal subsurf level 2 mode, and lot of face and edge selecting. what this means is, user can now edit the model straight in it “final state” all the time. you don’t have to mess with the raw mesh cage, so to speak…

so this was totally “organic” modeling… it was quite different approach to the blocky mesh editing … both methods have ups and downs.

http://www.kimppu.org/basse/halloween/uploads/TheCharacters/girl_wire.jpg

.b

that’s awesome stuff basse, i dig your style it’s got a lot of warmth to it …rmmm how long have you been doing 3d stuff?.. and how long have you been doing graphic stuff altogether?..just curious here :wink:

Aah, I like your style - looks really good, basse.

Hehe, I’m also trying to get the new tools into my workflow - and learning optimal mode’s rules ;).

Cheers

Thorsten

Ah… good stuff, basse. It’s really looking fantastic… I can’t wait to watch this thing.

A quick question, if you don’t mind. Looking at the core of the eye (well, because I dunno what you call retina+pupil) it bulges outward. I’m curious about this… what effect does that cause/for what purpose is it done?

Be careful that she doesn’t look too old. A young child’s face doesn’t have the features you added in the second render. In fact the first render looks a bit too old.

I agree with sundial, she looks really old around the eyes and some of the wrinkles around the lips. Aso, it looks like there are way too many lights casting shadows, and i think it’s makin her skin look freaky.

hmm…

I think the simplicity of the hair texture takes away from it…

I dont particularly agree with the toothpick sized neck… but… it kind of fits the style i guess

and is that a dent in her face?

I disagree with the “old look problem”, or whatever you want to call it. I think it’s fitting. You can tell she’s young, but it’s perfect for a haloween vid for there to be circles under the eyes.

:slight_smile: great…

some replis:

quick question, if you don’t mind. Looking at the core of the eye (well, because I dunno what you call retina+pupil) it bulges outward. I’m curious about this… what effect does that cause/for what purpose is it done?

hmm… it’s all there to make the light behave correctly on the eye. so the eye mesh is done in separate parts, and then things are joined together. it’s the good old “pixar eye”-method from blenderchar site. http://blenderchar.weirdhat.com/eyetute/

Be careful that she doesn’t look too old. A young child’s face doesn’t have the features you added in the second render. In fact the first render looks a bit too old.

hmm. which features are those?

I agree with sundial, she looks really old around the eyes and some of the wrinkles around the lips. Aso, it looks like there are way too many lights casting shadows, and i think it’s makin her skin look freaky.

sometimes little kids can look very tired and old… I work at the library, which is located in a same building with daycare center, and school… they are a major part of our customers. so I see these little ones quite a lot. and I tell you, there are all sorts :slight_smile: once I really like are the kind that have that dark “I havent slept for days”- stripes under the eyes… :slight_smile:

about the lights… dont mind about those. this is a char for anim. so final lighting will come from the setting.

and is that a dent in her face?

what you mean?
it’s nose. :slight_smile:

here’s a little update, drafting out the body. so I can decide on the proportions.

http://www.kimppu.org/basse/halloween/uploads/TheCharacters/girl5.jpg

.b

nice, but fix the link :wink:

are the things in the back wings ?

wow that was quick! :slight_smile: I was just fixing it. should work now. heh.

yes, they are wings. well, will be wings.

.b

was just posting in my own thread, when i saw yours, so took a look ;).

…excellent basse, your hand modeling is superb…
…so do i get a reply for my other post?.. %|