The lizard trial

Hey guys iam totally a beginner and have started blender just a while ago… i saw alot of tuts and videos and they helpd… i have a passion for animation and wana learn and make some cool animated movies… or short clips… here is what i have done so far with my esxprimentation… i modelled this lizard and tryin to make it walk … tell me how can i make it more real… and how to go about better animation and all those cool moces chartcter have they look so real… your reviews… comments and tips and advices will really be a great help… thanks and cheers to all blender buddys!!!

Blender Rocks!!!
"T"anmay!!

Here is the video if the lizard animation that i made … a youtube and rapidshare link.

http://rapidshare.com/files/62516855/lizzzCool.avi

Thank you … looking forward for all u people’s replies!!!

PS- hope i get some serious reviews so that i can work better and be more efficient… please let me know how to make a 15-20 second decent animation without having to have 100’s of frames as my computer is not that good and rendring takes ages thats why iam not able to make this with textures and materials on.

Ok. First of all, don’t double post. If it’s an animation, post it in animation. If you want focussed critique, post in focussed critique. Not both. You have to decide which is more important.
Second, use proper spelling and grammar. Many people post here whose native language is not English, so gr8 and thnx and u ppl and leaving letters off the ends of words is not good form.
Finally, youtube is not particularly dial-up friendly, so if you want critique from everyone, not just people with high speed connections, you’d do well to also make a downloadable version (XviD is a good codec) and host it on one of the file sharing sites.

Have corrected my mistakes and have uploaded the clip on rapidshare as well!!

the movement is very scetchy (clean it up)

Ok, I took a look at the lizard. Not too shabby, but I’ve got a few suggestions.

First, add some shadows. This will show whether the lizard keeps his feet on the ground. Second, add some kind of feature to the landscape. Even if it’s just a sphere sticking half way out of the plane, or a cube. Just something to anchor the landscape so the viewer has some sense of permanence.

Now, cleaning up the walk cycle. The difficult part is making sure the feet don’t slide around. One trick you can use is to set up a couple of markers, one for the front feet and one for the back feet. Use some small objects, like cubes, and put them on a different layer, to make it easy to exclude them from the render. As you are animating the walk, place the marker on the foot that does not move, then after adjusting the position of the legs and body, move the body around to get the planted feet back on the markers.

Finally, don’t move the camera while the lizard is moving. It’s ok to follow the lizard with the camera, to rotate it, but don’t move it around, at least, not until you’ve got the rest of the animation working.

Oh, and about those render times, and the hundreds of frames it takes to do an animation: that’s just something you’ll have to learn to accept. In order to look like it’s moving, you need 25 to 30 frames per second. As you add materials, more complex geometry, additional lights, transparency and all those other neat things, your render time will go up. For short animations, rendering overnight is usually the solution, but as the time gets longer and longer, people start getting very creative, putting together render farms out of old computers, recruiting friends with computers, using render farms.