After having done some tinkering with the BGE, I decided to start my first Blender project and this is the result. It was such a joy to create something in Blender, at the start I only knew a bit about mesh modelling but discovered more and more things during the process of making the image. Until now I have worked on it for about 6 days and even though I am not completely satisfied with the result I call it done, because the scene ended up very resource inefficient and the renders took too long to do any more polishing.
Well, anyway, I just want to say thank you. Blender itself and this whole community are just awesome. (Special thanks to KAHR-Alpha and Xard for helping me with the nasty buffer overflow) I can’t do much (yet) to give anything back except releasing this image under a CC-BY license (though I doubt that it could be useful for anyone). Hope you like it.
EDIT: I wasn’t very satisfied with the editing in GIMP, so I made some changes and reuploaded a new version + small image.