The most bizarre machine

This past summer I was given the opportunity to do my first commercial Blender work for the Ann Arbor Film Festival’s first DVD release. They told me they wanted some snazzy motion graphics for the menus, and being a film festival that focuses on incredibly progressive and independent films, I was given an immense amount of creative freedom.

The graphic design for the festival (shown at the beginning of the piece) featured parts of clocks and cameras. This was my starting point; a complex machine that the viewer would navigate as they accessed the differed parts of the DVD.

I put a lot of consideration into the movement of the camera and the objects. I wanted to give everything a feeling of weight and momentum. I also wanted the viewer to be conscious of the camera and consider it, and by extension themselves, a part of the machine.[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]*click the image to see the video
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Epeteralt/files/a2f2_webpromo.jpg

[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]I would be happy if anybody would like to comment on and critique my latest baby. There is sound that accompanies the visuals on the DVD, however they are not my own.

In the spirit of being happy-go-lucky open sourcy, I included the Blender production files on the DVD itself :eyebrowlift: no copyright or anything (not that my work is that professional anyways) so people could go crazy with them.

edit: I should point out that the end segments all relate to specific videos on the DVD

I like that red/blue defocus thingamajiger [?!??]. Let me try that again: I like that red/blueish camera defocus, like what you can see in the pictures. Very creative, the frog was random, but I would consider that creative. I like those spinny things that looked a bit like DNA. Very interesting, and nice work!

awesome. awesome. awesome.

Thanks Smoking_mirror, I don’t think I could have asked for a better response!

YellowLambo, yeah, it is kind of random if you are not familiar with the films on the DVD. I edited my original post, just so people don’t get the idea that I am absolutely mad.

That was cool with the fluid sim and the spinning parts - I love the simple motions versus the complex ones, and the textures are really nice, good feel for a still ‘non-mechanical’ flavor, evoking art rather than machine. Awesome!!

I love the overall toon feeling. Great animation.

Craigomatic, that comment just put you on my personal list of “favorite internet people.” :slight_smile: Thanks!

Yer that’s bloody brilliant and some really interesting details, neat!

That was quite cool! As is your Proletariat Pigs thing, too. :slight_smile:

So freakin awesome. So freakin awesome. So freakin awesome.

That was so dope :smiley:

dude i like the colours So freakin awesome. So freakin awesome. So freakin awesome.

That was so dope :smiley:

Bloody awesome. Good stuffs…

Amazing work m8! Loved the colors, style and camera motion. You should send it to the 2008 conference (don’t know if you have to ask 4 your clients perm.).

Sweet gents, thank you so much for the compliments! Well, Sammaron, you figured out how to one up smoking_mirror… and blenderrenegade seems to have been very inspired by your words.

gr8! thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking the same thing. I would clean up the video a bit (the transitions feel a little awkward at a couple points) and maybe compose some music for it. The people at this festival were a blessing to work with, and while I will double check with them, I don’t imagine that there will be any problems.

I think the technical term is “chromatic aberration”, which you see when looking through a cheap magnifying glass. I have no idea how to do that in Blender.

The animation is top-notch, professional-quality work. I love it!