The N00b tries painting... HELP! 3d painting strangely uncooperative.

Proceeding through the tutorial series I have succeeded in unwrapping objects (thanks for the tip I received here getting me past the sticky point in UV unwrap). I have created nice seams (iidssm) in the default Monkey object, unwrapped it, and practised applying various surface treatments in UV/Image editor. So far I have applied the default checkerboard, the coloured checkerboard, a jpg texture, and manual painting (all in the 2D UV/Image editor). This was all great!

Then my tutorial moved on to 3D painting. So I switched to the 3D view and tried to paint there. I seem to have messed something up bigtime because…

Starting out in Object Mode in the 3d window, if I select my MonkeyFace and use Tab to go into edit mode, I can switch between the UV maps I have created in the UV/Image Editor. When I exit Edit Mode, the monkey stays painted per the last map selected. I have 4 maps: UV grid, Color Grid, a 2d manual paint job, and a jpg texture. So far so good.

If I set the monkey to UV checkerboard and exit Edit Mode, then start switching to other 3d modes, this is what happens: In all other modes except Texture Paint, the monkey appears with the UV grid surface paint job. But in Texture Paint and only in Texture Paint, it reverts for some reason to the Color Grid (I nicknamed this “Plaid Monkey”). Every time.

Not only is the monkey always coated with Color Grid when in Texture Paint 3d mode, but the paint brushes do nothing. When I try to paint over it in 3d, I get a brush circle, I can pick colours, I can resize my brush, everything works just like 2D paint mode except that nothing happens when I try to paint. This is so frustrating…

I may have done something silly (n00bs are always accidentally hitting bad hotkeys) but I did see some discussion online (earlier versions) about troubles with 3d painting mode. Does anyone recognise these symptoms and is there a way out? my next lesson is all about 3d painting and I can’t even get started…

[edit: update]

Somehow (I am not sure how) I got past this initial state. I think the trick was that the mesh object had to be not only in Edit Mode, but selected (all faces) to make painting work. I am still trying to grasp these intricate interlocks between the modes and tools, and I still don’t understand the relationship of the 3d painted surface with the UV paint view; like, sometimes the two seem synched up and sometimes they seem dissociated (my 3d paint strokes don’t show on the flat view). Still struggling with it; I feel like there’s a bit of dumb luck in my workflow and that makes me uneasy. Sometimes it does what I expect and sometimes not, and I think I’m “doing the same thing” each time (yet obviously in some subtle way I am not).

I also don’t really understand how textures get saved and associated with UV maps. I have saved the flat (unwrapped) textures to files, no problem; but sometimes I save, say, a yellow map to a file Yellow.png and then when I go to look at Yellow.png (outside Blender) it contains instead a blue map from a previous iteration. It’s as if internal data structures were out of synch with one another. I don’t understand the relationship of the UV map name, the image name field (bottom of UV editor window) and the image save file name (I try to make them all match).

Eventually, by doing things over and over, I can end up with the right result, but I don’t feel like there’s a clear connection between the sequence of my interactions with Blender and the actual outcome. I never know quite what will happen :slight_smile: Can someone point me to a clear (for beginners I mean, not assuming much) explanation of the relationship between 3d paint texture, object selected faces, the 2d UV paint map, the UV map objects that can be attached to the mesh objects, and the saved image files? Is there a schema document somewhere? I am quite bewildered; but from what I read online, this may actually be a normal phase in learning Blender!

Lastly I don’t understand why my textured objects look fine in various 3d views, but when I render them they revert to plain white. I have googled for this problem and I see that others have overcome it, but unfortunately I don’t understand most of what they write about how to fix it, because it’s written in advanced Blenderese :slight_smile: If anyone knows of a very clear, step-by-step explanation of this process (making painted objects renderable) for complete idiots, I would love to read it :slight_smile:

These n00b flounderings must seem so tedious and wrong-headed to those with long experience of the software… did others find it a steep learning curve in the beginning, or is it just me?

Bump.

Hi…:slight_smile:

Alway’s keep it so simple You can…

Ahh…First, to be clear…The Grid and the Colorgrid is used to see if You object is unwrapped right.
It just sit on the unwrapped object…To help Unwrap.

Try this:

Ad a plane…Give the plane a Materiale in…Properties-Materiale.

Materiale is a flat Diffuse color and a placeholder…So the only thing the plane have now is Materiale…A Diffuse Color.

In Edit Mode…Unwrap the Plane…I use smart Unwrap…Go back to object Mode Viewport Texture mode.

Open Uv/Image Editor in another window…Click new and give it a name…This are the Imagefile You shall put on the Materiale slot…The Diffuse color.

In Properties-Material - Surface tap…Left Click all the way to the right in the color box…Select Image texture.
If You look in the Materiale box…You should see a pink color…It means no texture.

If You Click the 2 small arrow left in Materiale Box…Your Texture should be there…Select it.

Now the Image is assigned to the plane and can be paint on.

Before You start painting…Save it in Uv/Image Editor…Save as Image = F3

Now take CARE…!!!

Because Uv/Image Editor ONLY SAVE the file external…If You want to save to Blender too You have
to save it in Texturepaint too.

There is more but I’m a noob…Other will come and explain better…Puff Puff

Tai