The One Ring

This is one of my projects that I have been working on for a while. I am a fan of “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” and that is what made me want to try it in Cycles. What you see below is a finished render, a stereoscopic version of that render and an animation (I’m not very good at animating :D). This is my first time showing off some of my work, even though I have been using Blender for well over a year, so go easy on the critiquing :). FYI - Yes, the ring is in mid-air. I selected one of the best frames of the animation to demonstrate the stereoscopic 3D effect.

Render:

Stereoscopic Version:

Animation:

Once I was happy with the rings look I shifted my focus to the rest of the scene. Then I came up with the idea of a stone room which I’m going to refer to as “Sauron’s Tomb” at the moment. For argument’s sake let’s say that, in the film, the ring somehow ended up in a tomb in the strongholds of Mordor. I started to imagine what it would look like and ended up with the render below. I planning more for this scene but this is a taster of what’s to come. There are two renders below. They are UV mapped slightly differently and I am curious as to which one looks better. Feel free to comment on absolutely anything - every little helps :).

UV Map 1:

UV Map 2:

At first: Nice work

The ring looks pretty good. Maybe u can add a “layer-weight”-node with the “facing”-output to the material to enhance the look of the glossy. (also turn up the roughness of the glossy-shader a tiiiiiiny bit)

The writing looks a bit flat. A displacement-modifier or the displacement-input at the material-output can help, so it looks more forged.

The 2 UV-maps are also nice. I prefer the second one.

I think you are close to your final result. A better lighting (e.g. with a torch) for atmospheric shadows would fit your scene.

For the animation: Gold is a soft metal. It bounces really strong if it hits a hard ground. You can try the rigid-body-sim for realistic physics.

My ring is you want inspiration: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203000983465675&set=a.10202569819286840.1073741825.1837151322&type=1&theater

Greetings Kelevrah

Thanks for the feedback Kelevrah! It really got me thinking.

The material for the gold already has a layer-weight applied to it but, now that you mention, the effect isn’t really coming through, so I will try to tweak the values for that.

Your idea of the text being forged is really good. My original idea was for the text just to be glowing but I think a “forged” effect would work for a dark, atmospheric look.

Regarding the animation I’m completely with you - as I’ve said I’m not the best animator - so I’ll see what I can do.

Shortly after posting I decided to go with the first UV map but realized the second map doesn’t make the seams as obvious.

I only have one beef with this image. The text on the ring is in english. This should be in black speech. I would recomed looking at some referance images and see if you can fix that. P.S. I am I die hard Tolkien fan. To not take this criticism to harshly

I only have one beef with this image. The text on the ring is in english. This should be in black speech. I would recomed looking at some referance images and see if you can fix that. P.S. I am I die hard Tolkien fan. To not take this criticism to harshly

That’s true. I thought about that but I wanted the image to be understood by all viewers, not just Tolkien fans :)>