The Perfect BGE Game

@Josip_Kladaric

I’m sorry if I made that under-clear.

Oh man, I used to have a lot of fun theorycrafting this exact subject. Here’s a few ideas:

-Something like Yo Frankie. Community members make their own levels and drop in a premade controller. Lots of documentation.

-Local party game consisting of community-made minigames using the same set of characters. Old BGE doesn’t do hotplugging, so it’d have to be UPBGE.

-WWE-style wresting with famous characters from the BGE-verse. Not completely sure how this would work… only that it sounds awesome.

-A very bad MMORPG

2 Likes

Tempting…

Yeah something like Yo Frankie universe based set of minigames sounds like the most interesting idea.

1 Like

Anything where people can just code their own abomination and plug it right into the game.
That’s a fun concept for some MUGEN like thingy.

2 Likes

Heck yeah. I could ALMOST get behind this if I wasn’t so desperate to finish one of my own projects.
Also sitting on docs for an animal crossing ripoff. Lots of blender-potential for something like that.

1 Like

Sounds like you are working on a lot of interesting projects, hope to play some of them soon.

1 Like

One day… hopefully.

1 Like

I would say the perfect bge game would be Second Life in which avatars can keep talk with no rest about what should be the best BGE game

2 Likes

Would it be voice chat or text?

text. With voice, you cannot add :heart: and stuff.

More seriously, the question for me is (and would always be) not “what” but “how”. Because, first of all, the game one like to play is up to everyone and the game you would like to mod/learn should basically be built like a russian doll - something very modular and clear to understand. Something smartly designed .

A topic i always advocated is - beside programming - is " how would you effectively design a very good game architecture " - “how would you create the best pulse system to manage a football game” . This is called Analysis and it comes before programming. You will see lots of beginners who never heard about this stuff and will launch their project with no real idea about what they doing. They just add stuff on the fly and they end up with a buggy mess with spaghetti code almost impossible to debug or mod…

A good historical example was John Carmack and John Romero. The first one was a genius of conception and excellent programmer, the second one was only a good programmer and when the last, left id Software to try to make his own studio : Ion Storm and a first game “Daikatana” it was a total failure with 3 years release delay… the company held less than 10 years before going bankrupt. When belonging to id Software, John Romero was doing well because he was just programming according the very strong convention of the John Carmack’s architecture.

2 Likes

I think that if the game is a template or open to expansion by the community it has to be clean and modular but smaller closed experiences can be messy as long as they work.

i would love to see people start to debate on things like this

There’s many other questions which are interesting and even bordering to philosophy :

• do you hit the ground or do the ground hits you ? so can the ground could share some NPC’s property ?
  • when an enemy hits you, do you need to wait the NPC to send you a message ? or do you just have to play the hitten action in the same time ? ( a bit like in the WWF)
  • given the fact the action occurs in a house. Do you really need a Navigation mesh ?
  • etc etc

Carmack is a space wizard.

Keyword here is “abstraction”. You order a hamburguer, you get a hamburguer. But if you order it with cheese and fries plus bacon and a giant arse soda, the system needs to be prepared for this scenario. However, what if I want my bacon with extra bacon? What if I need that bread gluten-free? What if mayonnaise has magical properties and the law of gravity is the law of gravy?

So many possibilities. At one point, the system may collapse and tell you to shove off with those kinds of orders. I reckon the AI people have taken some steps towards solving this old problematic, but who here even understands neural networks? That’s some scary stuff.

This was a rant.

I do, and i can swear there’s nothing magical behind that. A NN is nothing else than many statistical tests (logistical regression for example) bounded to each other. With ability for retro-activation until the system seems to be stable. You just let the thing runs on cleaned data. We call it a neuronal network because it works like an human brain which will try to weight things in order to reach a comfortable view on a problem. The difference is, an AI is still unable to create a new original point of view of the problem… thats why the concept of artificial intelligence is over-rated

Magical or not, still scary. I’d rather my matrices not talk with each other.
If AI can’t get on the philosophy groove like us cyborgs then it’s back to square one. Not all is lost though, look at Bethesda, their games are eff’d up man. People still modding Morrowind to this day.

ive spent all my time trying to make the perfect framework. what i have now ended becoming over specialized.

the more perfect you try and make something, the less useful it becomes.

you need a bit of chaos in the mix to allow for flexibility. automation and “computer do my work” arent solutions, they are tools.

my door system is one brick and some naming, but you cant share actions and a logic event thats not the player cant open a door for you.

maybe someday ill get it right…

damn @Daedalus_MDW, lets solve that door problem, PM me

Chaos? Yes, exactly.

A lot of my systems rely on naming, typos make everything fall apart.
It could be worse…

like how I based all the physics used for character movement on statics and a set of raycasts,
or how all navmeshes are sloppily “stitched” together by empties,
or the tricky ways I shuffle cells around as the player moves…

WELP, for as long as it does the job and doesn’t crash… a little chaos is good for ya.
I completely overdo it though, I highly recommend not writting code as lousy as mine.

in statistics, its the famous trade-off between (over)-fitting and (un)robustness. I think that’s also true on the purely coding aspect. But as i was saying, sometimes, the human can bring some creativity in the conception of the paradigm which turns the problem all the way around. And instead of writing 100 lines of codes, he can simply, trick, hack, aggregate, rip a problem(s) in something new to solve and ends to write 5 lines of code and the final result will be very similar. Ofc, i know that you already know that, but i was just underlining something i never see as a subject on this forum.

i never said copy the game identically. theres no point in doing that anyway since nobody would play it. Nobodys gonna get sued here