the possibilites of a pro blender game

im talking, truly finishing pro-level or semipro-level work and then publishing it with an outside company and finally distributing in stores…or atleast doing self-publishing over the internet…for the PC only ofcourse…

Im pretty interested in what people think of this, so please vote! :slight_smile: And if you want, explain your reasoning behind your vote…

I think it could be posible, but i think the engine have to become a bit closer to a commercial standerd.
But it Sure can be made Cool Games as the engine is now thought :slight_smile: .

Im sure that if a company used blender and the company was profesionals, they could make Good games with blender.

yaeh, i agree with nor.j, the engine should improve a bit and some features would be needed like: multitexturing, better specials effects, improve/add some logicbricks types, texture “onthefly” loading and some fancy features like shaders and dynamic lighting…

Well it’s already possible. Many people think about really complex games. But even funny games or little games can also be sold for a nice amount of money. If you really want to make games like Unreal1 or quake, then we need more game engine features to get oure games on that level. :smiley:

The game engine 2.35 is comming closer and closer to a nice smooth engine. 2.25 games open in 2.35 will cause horrible lag because of incompatibility. When you redo the game in 2.35 it runs a little faster :slight_smile:

It could be possible, but i’d rather wait till it got a much better way to program stuff in the game.

I agree with JD-multi… Blender HAS the pontential. You just have to pick up the right kind of games, and not aim to the IMPOSSIBLE (as of yet)… Besides, if we don’t master the Blender we have now… how can we DARE suggest better (and more complicated) features?..

Keep on making those games! :smiley:

I agree with JD-multi… Blender HAS the pontential. You just have to pick up the right kind of games, and not aim to the IMPOSSIBLE (as of yet)… Besides, if we don’t master the Blender we have now… how can we DARE suggest better (and more complicated) features?..

Keep on making those games!

Well put.

The market will be limited as long as it’s Open GL only. I know a lot of people who won’t even touch an Open GL game, even if their graphics card supports it.

Don’t ask about the logic, because I’ve played Hitman in both DX and OGL and I didn’t see any difference, but you can’t get through to some people.

Blender could be use to set up the basic, however if you would want smooth graphics, textures and special effects you would have to use something like Open GL, DirectX, Quake2 engine. I think you can’t sell blender engine as commercial. I also know of some Open Quake engine that’s in development.

Anyone play Ty2 ? It looks like that was made in Blender and I mean that in a bad way.

of course blender has the possibility to make some great games…

@Fred_Pyo: well i’m interested to hear what “the right kind of games” is
and i DARE suggest more features simply because they are needed, additonal features will not make it more difficult to use, it’ll just guve more power and that’s what we need.
graphically-wise the engine is at a quake1 level, with 2.35 it will handle more complex games, it just need a little graphic update (i know it’s in the work)

more features are allways good, you are free to use it or not

Well you also have to remember the Blender game engine is really young. Still in progress and still becomming better release by release. And thatt just for 1 or 2 persons coding on more then 10.000 lines of code :slight_smile: My hat off for those guys. 8)

I think it’s VERY possible and actually highly probable! There are an incredible number of very talented people here, and Blender takes away the annoying coding (mostly) and gives the true 3d artists the tools they need to do great things!

I think its definetly possible.It just takes some patience and imagination.It is already possible to do it with blender , but some features still would be good and some things should be improoved , like max 8 lamps(should be fixed or if not possible ,these lamps should be changed into another style - the one that wouldnt have limitations) , esc button quiting the fullscreen .exe(should be removed or atleast would be good to make some other key combination because this feature is VERY anoying :x ),the smoothiness(already improoving and the results are noticable)…

There is no limit to making a real pro game with blender.You just have to believe in your self 8) and DO IT!

Making a commercial game, that can graphically compete with today’s PC and console games is currently impossible. There’s no way blender could make a game that looks like Half-Life 2 right now however, I don’t think graphics make a good game, and I think It’s entirely possible (but a lot of work) to create an exact copy of Ocarina of Time, or Mario 64 on blender, and games with these "last gen"graphics are being currently released on the DS, so the graphics aren’t exactly outdated

Im almost certain you could develope a pro game with blender…

Now ofcourse you could never achieve graphics like Half-Life 2, Halo 2, or most of the high-end games but it can actually compete with many modern day games which are being sold for the PC graphically…

It’s entirely possible (but a lot of work) to create an exact copy of Ocarina of Time, or Mario 64

actually you can achieve much, much better looking graphics than ocarina of time and mario64…ive seen blender games with much better graphics than that, ive worked on a few as well…

You can get pretty damned close to a commercial standerd with just fantastic textures…many games are still made today that actually dont have fancy things like normal mapping, and realtime shadows…Also with python you can do alot of things that commercial standerd games do programming-wise.

Ultimatly, I think you definintly could make a pro game with blender if you had enough people working on it and treating the project as a professional job, even though it would be more dificult to make a game with blenders engine since it still does have the limitations…once the engine is expanded upon with new graphics effects, and also once it handles the data and rendering with games more efficiently it would be even more possible, you might even be able to compete with more high-end games…

anyways, thats my two cents…thanks for responding everyone!!! :slight_smile: And keep striving for us Kester! The GE could have a bright future ahead of it!

Man, I think it is possible to make a game without industry standard graphics. Look at Blizzard! Warcraft 3 was pretty goofy, but it was still a great game! I want to see someone make an good RPG. I think I will make one. I have been thinking about it for a long time. My main problem is that I haven’t seen hi-res dialogue in blender. How could I play prerendered movies? Hi-res splash screens? Impossible as far as I’m concerned. There aren’t any gui elements for games available in blender. Don’t tell me that I am supposed to spell out entire dialogue sequences in 3D text…

You could use pre-render fonts a use halo in front of & camera

I agree with NORJ… some new features would make a huge difference…
particles, skyboxes, bump-mapping…

I think the game engine can do with out particles

yeah, but it would be cool to have them though…