The progression from noob to ... pro?

I’ve noticed a trend in BGE postings. Hence I’d like to tell a story about an imaginary BGE developer who doesn’t give up.

One day a person decides he’d like to make a game. He does a little research and downloads blender. While trying to figure out how to make his game in logic bricks, he realizes it isn’t as simple as he thought. So he puts in some effort, learns python, making the big jump. He continues working on his game project, now in python, for a year or two. Then, something happens and he stops working on the project. He starts another one, and it is better than the previous, but again he stops for some reason.
Now he is an amazing developer. He can model, code, texture, do whatever he likes. But he is now conservative about what projects he will start. So he makes a few tech demo’s, releases some resources, helps out the new people on the forum (which is fantastic), but doesn’t ever really start another project.
***This is what happened to me, with DEEP Space being my last real project, and it looks like it’s happened to a whole bunch of others. Agoose used to make some games, with his biggest being Monolith, now he’s released a bunch of resources, and doesn’t seem to be making any actual games. I think Monster did the same, along with OTO, etc. There are exceptions to this rule, such as torakunsama and haidme, but they are pretty few and far between.

In other words, we have many of the people with the capacity to make games not actually making them. Why?

(No offence intended to the people who I’ve mentioned)

I think that as you learn more and more about the whole process… people become less and less ambitious / motivated… because they know how much work it actually takes to make a game.

Games are hard work. Even relatively trivial projects can take years for one person to complete, or even longer, especially if the project itself serves as a learning vehicle (which is the most common scenario).

Time flows, interests shift, and life gets in the way.

The right circumstances are fleeting, even for people who have the technical/artistic ability to ultimately deliver.

There is no engine feature that will fundamentally change that, because at the core, it’s not a technical issue (just to pre-empt all the “BGE is not good enough” nonsense). However, we can make the development process easier by partnering up on technically less ambitious, but more innovative projects; such efforts are more likely to produce good results.

Right.

This is pretty much it.

And at that point, you think hey I did all this work, I’m sure it’ll help someone out (no sarcasm). Another thing is maybe the person didn’t think the game was as cool as they originally panned and scraps it, the way people do drafts and fill up their trash can.

With agoose, I think he pointed out in another thread he felt there was no money to be made in games so for some people money could initially be a motivating factor.

For me the main point is motivation.

No money is not my motivation with game making. I earn money with my job, not my with hobby. I’m not sure if I will like my hobby if I have to do it. Because then it turns into job.

My passion is to fiddle around, find out how things can work, and create something that works. Most of the time these are “proof-of-concepts”, because after the proof the real work begins … really a lot of work. (Hint: make a tutorial, you will see how many time you spend even on the “simplest” things). Without a real long lasting motivation I will not do this work.

I’m motivated when I understand things. Therefore I do not just want to create but also see that it works (proof-of-concept again).

I’m proud when I finished something. I’m even more proud if it looks good. This motivates me to continue (…better continue on something else).

I do not like if things get to complex and confusing. I like it if things are clear and simple. There can be really much as long as they are not forming a pile of complexity. It is like a puzzle or LEGO.

Time is a de-motivational factor. Other time I loose interest.

Another demotivation is jumping around. I try to find a solution A … then I discover while I’m doing that you jumped from B to C to D to E … but your goal was A. I might need E but I was interested in A. I think this hits the complex and confusing part.

Pressure can be motivating but demotivating too. It is hard to find a balance. (The BGMC was great)

Aiming for a achievable goal is motivating. When I see I do progress and there are no vague unlimited obstacles in the way it is motivating.

I rarely tried with team building (I’m the lonely wolf type :wink: ). At least in my job it is good to motivate each other.

I get a lot of motivation from the forum … to create proof-of-concepts ;).

I think there is more

You haven’t seen me around much but I’m actually very capable with BGE and (at least I think) I can make whatever I want.

I am driven by will to finish something so I can give it to others to play and give them some kind of gaming experience. Motivation has been going strong but I just have so little time with work and family life taking up most.

I hope you’ll be able to see what’s been going on some day :slight_smile:

I think my circumstances are somewhat different, I am working in the multiplayer program for my game. This has taken several years to learn and develop. Secondly, I’m still in full time education meaning that I don’t have the time to invest in a project in this manner

Almost two years ago I decided to start schooling myself in order to make a game as a hobby. Up to now I actually didn’t start making a game as a whole, but was preparing for it. I knew that I wanted to make a game with a lot of characters and an original story and concept. And I was well aware of the fact that it could take more then a couple of years to finish it. Now I think I’ll have to add another year, maybe two, but that doesn’t change my motivation or makes me impatient.

There’s no pressure because I’m no pro and there’s no boss telling me what to do. Losing interest however is something I’ll never do. I’m just to obsessed with the creative aspect of it all. And even if I’m just creating proof-of-concepts, I’m enjoying it all as much. It’s the challenge that keeps me going. And finishing a game will be the top of the iceberg.

When I’m helping others with examples and such, most of the time I’m learning something new too. The time I’ll solely do something for the forum will be when I’ve finished my game and make tutorials about the workings of it. If I’m actually succeeding to make something good, then I want to do that effort so others may see a good example. I hope I’ll make something good, but you’ll never know.

As for group projects I have to be confident that I’m up to the job. And I will only be able to know that if I proved to myself that I’m capable enough to work as a programmer or designer or animator or modeler, … Another reason is that I’m a perfectionist. I would only join forces if I’m assured that my coworkers are equipped to deliver too.

These were my thoughts on this.

For me it has been a bit other way around, I have had “projects” for sure. But I always knew they were just to test and learn something specific out. I never finished those.

I studied various things (scripting Python especially). Now after a few years I have started to work on a specific roleplaying game and I feel highly motivated since I know now how hard something is and what I can do and how to work problems out.

It is also so important to know exaclty how high to reach. Reach too high and you’ll fail to crasp the target, reach too low and you’ll end up learning nothing.

I know a big issue with me, is that I get bored so quickly. I find it hard to finish things sometimes, because I just get sick of looking at what ever it is I’ve made, I feel so inspired looking at other peoples stuff, but with my own it can be a chore sometimes. Kinda like my sex life.

Hello,
I’m honored my name was mentioned next to Haidme! Thank you sdfgeoff!

Mine is a story of growing ambition! See, I’m a dreamer!

Irrelevant story

It all started in 2004. I started playing lot’s of games and had for the first time a PC (I know, right? But I live in the 3rd world and internet and PCs were “forbidden” (expensive)to many of us). I got a CD with Cinema 4-d in it and a tutorial from a magazine. I started modelling and entered the 3D world. Then I decided to make TV series, developed a few ideas, then though I’d enjoy games more than the videos. I turned my ideas into game stories. Decided to go to an Academy to do Game Dev. Suddenly Blender appeared, we’re 2007 now! After one tutorial, I had a mini demo of a racing game, I got excited and left Maya, 3DSMax and C4D for Blender.
Then I set back explored and joined Gameblender.org and started experimenting.

To the point

I asked to myself: " What would be the most challenging game project I can imagine? If I can get it working, no project will be hard for me. Ah! A space game with an entire planet as a level!" Chronicles of Saba was born! From 2009 to 2010 I tested many parts of the game as I imagined it and learned how to do things in the BGE in the process. Check my questions in the forum, they are noobish for many years. By end 2011 decide to learn python so I can write my own programs, took me a lot of effort to transform my artistic brain into a coding one… (having a commercial education background on top of that). Beginnings 2012 I decided to turn COS from a learning project to a main project. By 12 12 12, COS became Children of Steel, with a new story and even bigger than before, with tons of features. Only by June 2013 I stopped adding features, testing modules and putting things together.

So although it may seem I’ve been working on this project for 4 years, in fact, this project is just a reflection of my progress with BGE.

I started working on COS ever since 11 11 2007 , the day I installed Blender! I only knew how to model on those other programs!

Why didn’t I start other projects? Because COS has anything I can think of in a game! And I’m a determined person and a slow learner!
I also tend to be a perfectionist, so I’ll start from scratch any malfunctioning blend, py… Fortunately I learned to stick by the code and fix it! Many times, combining all the features together is a big challenge (like this entire project is, above my head), but I enjoy deconstructing difficulties! I enjoy the creating process more than the end product.

I also have my ups and downs, my daily life is hard,I work 10hrs a day, every week I have no blackouts. Tap water, we see it once a week, running at 1L/min, for a few hours. Right now I need a car, but traffic jam gets in the way (I spend 1-2 hr on a 15 min distance). I need to attend to my family needs, and that includes besides my children and ex-wife, my mother and brothers… I live in the most expensive city in the world! Just to say, I have a life too (sort of hellish though…)

So, yes I’m a adept, I just left the noob’s ranks, can’t be mentioned next to haidme, who was a game creator when I started!

If COS succeeds, I might become a pro!

Time,

by the time you can code, animate, texture, design, plan, your probably busy with another stage in life, plan all you want, but you can’t fight the sea…