The Recalculate Normals command

hello all,i have completed a tutorial and i have came across a command that has piqued my curiosity. The name of the command is Recalc Normals. i looked all over for the definition of this terminology and i cannot find out what this command means. Now, i turn to you guys, he blender community for assistance.what does the recalculate normals command do? and what scenerios would it be most useful in?It is my desire to learn every nook and cranny of blender. In order to be the best, you gotta know your s—.

Maybe some helphere?

lenny,

Normals are used in lighting calculations and sometimes become “flipped” as a result of extrusion modeling. This can lead to dark line artifacts on the surface of your models when smoothing is applied.

The Recalculate Normals Inside (CTRL+N) command rectifies this by calculating normals to point away from one another. Alternately, you can use CTRL+SHIFT+N to Recalulate normals Inside, which causes normals to point inward on the model.

It is basically a corrective command to make normals consistently face outwardly on your model.

If you want to see the effects of flipped normals, add a UVSphere, select some verts, and choose W->Flip Normals. Make sure smoothing is applied to your model and you’ll see dark lines around the flipped normals. In Edit mode, select all and press CTRL+N to recalculate the normals to point outward.

In Edit mode you can also turn on “Draw Normals” from the Mesh Tools 1 panel. This way you can see which way the normals are facing. Try it, and I think you’ll understand better what this command is useful for.

Hope this helps…

yes, i have a better understanding. i will experiment with this so that i may get a better understanding of blender’s idosynchtracies.