The Resistance Preview-Crits and Comments Please-Upcoming Star Wars Fan Film

Hi all,

This isn’t a “trailer” per se; you might call it a QA preview, this is similar to the quality we are hoping for our “big” film The Resistance (yes, that’s the official title).

Nothing RvD2 of course tongue

A Taste of The Resistance

We would really appreciate feedback.

Thanks,

LC

-And the crew of The Resistance. http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Um, bump… :confused:

The big yellow square-thing that appears everytime they hit lightsabers is annoying as hell.

Well . . . I suppose I could think a while before giving my opinion . .

It’s supposed to be that big white flash that happens when lightsabers connect.

You can generally see it in the films if you freeze frame.

make costumes, take care with the effects and nail down those acting bits. The fight was good, if short. Speed like that is something you rarely see in a fan-made saber fight. You live in an interesting area that might be suited to making a nice deserted planet-scape.

Just get, you know, a decent plot together and this should be cool. Honestly, if you’re aiming for this level of quality i think you should probably crank your guns up a few more degrees and aim a bit higher, but as an R&D test and a “proof of concept”, it works :stuck_out_tongue:

What method are you using for the sabers? Are you re-coloring the blades automatically or are you rotoscoping it? There are a few parts where the blade size and movement are a little wonky. It looks promising tho.

/* EDIT - One thing i will say tho… The bit where one guy drops his saber, then uses his force skills to get it back again… That bit is SO PLAYED OUT it’s not even funny. Every fan film uses that bit at least once. if you’re gonna use that bit, you better have an amazing way of doing it, some amazingly clever gimmick that makes it work. Otherwise I’d say avoid it at all costs. that is all :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, I guess I’m no great communicator. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is simply an R&D film, which is why its short, why they don’t have costumes, and why there’s no plot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the comments on speed, just wait till you see the whole fight. :wink:

My friends a great choreographer, if only we could afford equipment to match. :frowning:

Just get, you know, a decent plot together and this should be cool. Honestly, if you’re aiming for this level of quality i think you should probably your guns up a few more degrees and aim a bit higher, but as an R&D test and a “proof of concept”, it works :stuck_out_tongue:

What method are you using for the sabers? Are you re-coloring the blades automatically or are you rotoscoping it? There are a few parts where the blade size and movement are a little wonky. It looks promising tho.
The blades are made inLSMaker, a crappy little freeware program, since we don’t have access to After Effects unfortunately. :frowning:

I wish I knew how to program, I might be able to throw together something a little bit better than that, but since I don’t that’s highly unlikely.

Do you think we could rotoscope in Blender?

I’ve tried but always have trouble with working with video in Blender.

/* EDIT - One thing i will say tho… The bit where one guy drops his saber, then uses his force skills to get it back again… That bit is SO PLAYED OUT it’s not even funny. Every fan film uses that bit at least once. if you’re gonna use that bit, you better have an amazing way of doing it, some amazingly clever gimmick that makes it work. Otherwise I’d say avoid it at all costs. that is all :stuck_out_tongue:

We weren’t aware of that :stuck_out_tongue: Or at least I wasn’t, I think he’s watched more fan films than me probably. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, I’ll pass it on. :slight_smile:

There is a method I’m aware of of using Blender to automatically replace the blade with a light-saber effect. i dunno how difficult it is, but it involves painting the blades a certain color (Some color not used much in the film… Bright Pink for instance) and then using blender to matte out that area, inverting the matte and then using the nodes to blur it and make it glow… Something along those Lines, anyway… There was a thread for it in the Blender Tests section, I’ll see if i can hunt it down.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105354&highlight=light+saber
Another one, same idea wit maybe different technique… looks different (possibly also better :P)
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90321&highlight=lightsaber+rotoscope

Rotoscoping something like this would probably be a big pain in the booty in Blender, with all the match-moving and then animating and matting of the blade effect you’d have to do. The automatic method doesn’t need to be matted or anything, either… another advantage… Only problem i know is that it can sometimes matte out other parts of the image, but as far as i;m aware it seems like it shouldn’t be too hard to prevent that or fix up the matte. It may mean painting your fake sabers a different color depending on the overall colors of the area around it. i imagine trying to matte out a green Saber Blade in a forest setting would be nearly impossible for a program to do right :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, i figured it was just an R&D project thing, but then, I’ve seen fan films where people are walking around modern buildings having saber fights and stuff like that :P, so you never know :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah… it’s played out :stuck_out_tongue: But there are probably some way cooler things you could do with force powers + a light saber that no one’s even thought up yet.

Hmm…are you talking about the plugin?

I know there’s a plugin for the lightsaber effect, but its kind of a hassle, and I never figured out how to make it apply to more than one blade.

Rotoscoping something like this would probably be a big pain in the booty in Blender, with all the match-moving and then animating and matting of the blade effect you’d have to do. The automatic method doesn’t need to be matted or anything, either… another advantage… Only problem i know is that it can sometimes matte out other parts of the image, but as far as i;m aware it seems like it shouldn’t be too hard to prevent that or fix up the matte. It may mean painting your fake sabers a different color depending on the overall colors of the area around it. i imagine trying to matte out a green Saber Blade in a forest setting would be nearly impossible for a program to do right :stuck_out_tongue:
Ha! Rotoscoping is always a pain no matter how you slice it up. :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, i figured it was just an R&D project thing, but then, I’ve seen fan films where people are walking around modern buildings having saber fights and stuff like that :P, so you never know :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah… it’s played out :stuck_out_tongue: But there are probably some way cooler things you could do with force powers + a light saber that no one’s even thought up yet.
What do you mean its been played out? The location you mean? 'Cause I’ve heard a lot about forests and parks being overused :stuck_out_tongue:

But this location is in a semi-arid desert, Southern California to be exact…;):eyebrowlift:

no not the location at all. Just… i dunno. Do a search on Youtube and pull up some of the better 'Light Saber battles" and the odds of seeing the old “grab the light saber with your mind!” trick are about 90%. Not that it’s really that bad of a thing to do, just find a neat way to do it, is all. Having it stab the guy is actually a lot more creative than a lot of the stuff out there.

I don’t think the Saber effect requires a plugin, tho I’ve never tried it myself. There’s a green-screen-type function in the Blender sequencer or Nodes that will let you select a color and Blander will matte out that color, effectively erasing that section of the image. But you can invert that and slap on a glow effect and it will give you a pretty nice looking effect, from what I’ve seen of it. It’s not rotoscoped, so I imagine it’s about a billion times easier to accomplish, hehe. If i can find my old web-cam and figure out how to make it work under Linux I might give it a shot myself just to see how exactly it works.

Don’t take anything i say as negative, tho. I am a certified Star Wars geek and would love to see what you guys come up with. Are you planning on doing some 3D effects / ships and stuff like that? Or maybe saving that for the sequel?

Oh I see, I thought you meant the location. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think the Saber effect requires a plugin, tho I’ve never tried it myself. There’s a green-screen-type function in the Blender sequencer or Nodes that will let you select a color and Blander will matte out that color, effectively erasing that section of the image. But you can invert that and slap on a glow effect and it will give you a pretty nice looking effect, from what I’ve seen of it. It’s not rotoscoped, so I imagine it’s about a billion times easier to accomplish, hehe. If i can find my old web-cam and figure out how to make it work under Linux I might give it a shot myself just to see how exactly it works.

I see.

I was wondering, is there anyway I could use polygons or curves to cover the blade and put a glow on them?

I’m seriously considering attempting to write a small compositor, something like LSMaker, but slightly more powerful and easier to use.

Just, I don’t know any programming languages, and I know that would be a lot of work. :no:

Don’t take anything i say as negative, tho. I am a certified Star Wars geek and would love to see what you guys come up with. Are you planning on doing some 3D effects / ships and stuff like that? Or maybe saving that for the sequel?

No worries.:cool:

Yes, I’m hoping to have some CG scenes, but my Blender/3D skills aren’t up to par. :frowning:

I’m using one model right now that comes plain without textures, and I think it really needs textures. I think it has the textures I just have no experience in texturing. :confused: