The Return of Icon Replacer!

(PlantPerson) #1

Hi everyone!

Once upon a time, someone made a nice little program called Icon Replacer. It was a good program, it could replace the icon of the blenderplayer so that you could make EXEs with your own icon if you wanted to. But versions of blender after 2.25 didn’t work with Icon Replacer. Icon Replacer would say that you’d selected the wrong folder.

Today, however, after so long in limbo, I have resurrected Icon Replacer from the dead! It turns out that it’s quite simple to trick it into thinking it’s still working with 2.25. Here’s how to do it:

• Download Icon Replacer
  • Go to your Blender folder (in Program Files)
  • Copy blenderplayer.exe and paste a copy in same folder.
  • Rename the copy blenderdynplayer.exe
  • Icon Replacer will now think that it’s still working with 2.25 and be very cooperative.
  • Your EXEs will now have your own icons!Full credit must of course go to Sander Wozniak who made the program in the first place. Sander, I don’t know where you are now, but thanks!

Have fun everyone!

0 Likes

(Mr. Crunchy) #2

YAY!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I was just about to ask for something like this - thanks PlantPerson!

0 Likes

(Thenewone) #3

could you make screens please ?
I haven`t understand it :o

0 Likes

(MagicMan) #4

Very nice little trick. I missed using that program because nothing else seems to work to replace icons. I wish this was a feature build into blender.

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #5

This is a great trick, thank you :smiley:

EDIT, hmmm ,
I spoke too soon ,
Has anyone done this with blender 2.45?
It wont light up the change icon button for me :frowning:

0 Likes

(PlantPerson) #6

Did you select the icon you want to change it to?

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #7

yea, the icon shows up fine, it even let me select it in the little preview thingie.

hmmm, it is a multi-layered icon (16x16, 24x24,32x32,48x48).
I wonder if it is only for a single layered Icon?
it is also has alpha transparent bits too… wonder if that has something to do with it?

also I am on windoze X64, I wonder if that has something to do with it.

well anyways, thanks PlantPerson, it sounds like you have tested it with 2.45, I will try again with an un-layered solid icon.

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #8

Haha!
Ok I got it. I had the .EXE file in the same folder as the icon replacer.

Sorry about that.

BTW, the transparent, and multi layered icons work great!

0 Likes

(NOR.J) #9

i find it easyer to use resource hacker.

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

it is pretty handy, but i think its only for windows.
Annyways, i just wanted to share it with you guys.

0 Likes

(PlantPerson) #10

I’ve tried Resource Hacker and other similar programs and every time I only succeed in completely corrupting the EXE…I don’t know if you know anything about that?

Once Icon Replacer has been set up, I don’t really think there’s anything easier available.

0 Likes