The Ring

The Ring aka. Goodbye.

It started as a ring. And it grew to a scene.

Now I’m waiting some comments.

Attachments

we dont see the scene, nor the ring …
very bad !

If you wanted the scene to have nice reflects on the ring, dont show the scene and place the cam focusing on the ring, as best for having a good reflect .

For a still with focus on a golden ring I’d definitely switch to Yafray or even better Indigo as a renderer. You really want those caustics.

I switched camera position to give a more wider view of the scene. I don’t really know, if it is any better. But at least it gives you some idea of the surroundings. It’s still a work in progress.

Attachments

Glen, honestly give it a go with YafRay. It’s easy to use and install, and does wonders for the light. I’ve never used Indigo, so can’t tell you about that.

About the scene, do you care about the ring? That’s what it’s all about right? The last render looks like a table with a letter and ‘something on it’. Might wanna readjust the cam again. But the scene is good. Is the ring reflective? (i.o.w., did you assign a reflective material to it?)

By looking at the dots, I think you are using an area light. I say, drop it. It takes a lot of rendering time and takes a lot of samples to look nice (which in turn takes up even more… you get the point ;)). Play with some hemi lights for the “ambiance” of the scene, they are 180 degrees light and don’t cast shadows.

I know YafRay is easy to install, I’ve got it installed. It’s been installed since I started playing Blender over a year ago. But I don’t like the fact that I will have to play around with the settings so much, before I get a decent lookin render with it. I’m just too impatient for that. But I’ll give it a try.

Btw, I have no area lights in my scene. Just a single spot and three lamps (one casting shadows and one with sphere switched on). And AO is on.

Ok, now I need help in YafRay settings. I know the wood-material if awful in the chair and the walls are ugly. I just don’t want to wait another 2,5 hours for a “test” in settings. And the ring. It has no reflections.

I don’t know how to set up YafRay render engine correctly.

Attachments

you can set the qualtity and render size to low, for previewing you materials, can also show just the object you want to texture by setting them on layers …
For intérior renderings you should also increase the exposure value of yafray to more than 1 .

I did another one. Tweaked the settings. Maybe I should… hmm… give the lamp some more energy. Or add another lamp.

Attachments