The scavanger

After moddeling the base model in Blender I wanted to detail it in Zbrush. I started with that more than I year ago but suddenly left the model aside and almost forgot about it.

well after too many months of not working on this one I finished the texturing and desided to make this model my test object for setting up a pipeline between Zbrush and Blender.
I still have to paint a specular map and maybe a SSS map.
This render took way too long (75min) and especially the face.
So here is the update. Blender render with AO and SSS lit by a AreaLight (low amount of samples). Model consists of 2million polys after subdividing.

(this is not the original render. Imagesize is reduced and eyes are painted in post.)


That’s kinda freaky. I like it lol

That is certainly a horrific creature, and a cool model. I like the way his spine comes out of his back. Good luck with normal mapping him.

Fantastic model! The only thing I have to crit, is that the lines under his eyes are a bit too harsh – they almost look like they’re not quite connected to the face… Otherwise its great!

Thanks for the kind words… The lines under his eyes are supposed to be some hornlike shield to protect his eyes against mud when digging in the ground… They are not supposed to be wrinkles or something. I’ll make some close-ups soon. Actually I want to use MOSAIC and render it with a renderman coomplaint renderer since they have better support for displacement. But for that I’ve to learn MOSAIC first… will take some time. Anyway thanks foor all your support.

Wow looks nice! 2 million polys?!?! WOW that seems unnecessary but I have never used Zbrush and have no idea what is needed to get a decent render. Can’t wait to see some more progress!

The full model in Zbrush consists of more than five million polys. Every detail in that program is real geometry.
Here are some renders from within Zbrush (the material is a standard Zbrush material)

From Zbrush you can easilly create displacementmaps but since blender doesn’t support micropolygons or a simmilair tessalation system, I have to subdivide the base model to at least 1.5 million polygons and let the displacementmodifier displace the model. The details that are stored in the higher subdivisions (in Zbrush) is converted to a bumpmap. They are small enough to be fake geometry. Unfortunatly zbrush can’t create normalmaps for models which base consists of more than 500000 polys. Otherwise I would prefer to use normalmaps for the finer details.


that’s really cool man! nice sculpting… good job

That is bad ass!