The slow farewell of a blenderhead

I have a pretty good grasp of reality. The only thing holding me back is wrong conditioning of my brain and the lack of any dependable frame work whatsoever that might keep me upright when I struggle and lose momentum towards my goal.

It almost feels like you are considering suicide…

Believe me, if I was capable of killing myself the conventional way, I’d be long gone. I long for oblivion. It’s seemingly the only way to find peace on my own. What I can do, because not doing anything is easy, is not tending to my increasing health issues. And it seems like the point of no return has wooshed by the previous year. Which means I will not suffer another decade.

My family is mostly dead and after asking for support or team work a dozen times, no friends or relatives have a right to my person. People who deserve consideration regarding my life are not people who are content watching me die. Especially if I have offered a win win situation.

Sure, there’s welfare. After four years of that, I feel like a complete failure. And my bank account tells me that I am. My life has become pointless long ago. A race horse that doesn’t see the track is not a happy camper. The last Suzanne award was 2005, it was a more than mediocre piece of work. 4 half days due to a deadline.

I react badly to uncertainty. More than ever. And every project I plan basically produces plenty of that until it produces positive feedback called income. Before you consider to lecture me again, yes, that’s pretty much inevitable. Point is, my brain is too weak by now to handle that. My threshold should be higher. It isn’t. Not in this social vaccuum of mine.

So my rational brain knows the way, has the solutions and my emotional brain overrules after a while. It’s like drinking cat piss. It adds up. When the project comes to a halt, my emotional brain files it as another dead end and my rational brain has no way of regaining speed.

“Remember that if you’re feeling depressed, you’re not in the right mindset to make accurate self-assessments at this point.”

I am not depressed. I do not suffer from depression. I lack the identification with feeling miserable. I stopped that stupid shit when I was about 25 when I lost the most important person of my life due to feeling bad. Yes, I have reasons to believe my situation to be hopeless, What can I say, not feeling my toes because the melting snow gets through the numerous holes in my shoes is just one consequence of perpetual poverty that makes life unbearable long term.

Living on welfare is not cool, and not good, it’s humiliating and degrading. Every time you spend something, it feels undeserving. Every time you buy food you feel inhibited and unfree. It’s emasculating. If your identity needs you to stand on your own two feet and create living like a parasite is less humane than a shotgun to the head. Don’t generalize that. I speak about me, not everybody.

The solution would be a r-e-a-l friend or a team partner who decides on the following premise: “After scrutinizing your projects thoroughly and finding that they promise financial return, I’ve decided that we’ll make you do what you actually want to do, whether you want it or not”.

Which translates to “creating an environment where uncertainty is not the strongest force anymore”. I have mostly given up on finding somebody like that. Every conversation that ends nowhere makes it harder to even consider talking to people. It feels bad typing in here, knowing that it’s very likely not changing anything.

It’s one thing to know the obvious, it’s another thing to actually get the obvious and act on what you know can be done to get your life turned around.

“Getting sth” is a very loose term. And as far as I know, 36 years of anchoring are not easily undone. I do think it can be possible to do that in a short time, but Milton Erickson is dead and reaching Tony Robbins needs more perseverence than finishing the smaller half of my projects. Change can happen in a heart beat. I just don’t count on that happening for me.

I really have no reason to believe my perseverence or my discipline is holding up to any larger work under the current circumstances. And there’s zero indication my situation might improve. On the contrary. My esophagus and lymph nodes tell me otherwise. I just have to consider moving towards my goals and I start feeling uncertain.

Freelancing is out of the question. Why? For a guy with no respectable portfolio (just a shitload of knowledge), it’s pocket money and I will not run the risk of letting a client down. What happens is this: it’s a pain to find a client in the first place, the money will be spent (in a way) before the job is finished and the problems might even prevent me from finishing. Simply because after a task takes a bit too long it’s more a burdon than a solution. Also, freelancing provides zero certainty towards the future. Hunting for people to hire me is uncertainty incarnate.

Just think of it that way: if I am fit for ANY kind of work, I can just as well do the work that saves me financially in the little time I have left.

God, this is too much text. It’s almost ironic that I might come across as an attention whore when I actually loathe blabla that has no result. Pity is amazingly worthless to me regardles whether it’s my own or other’s.

P.S.: explanation != self pity
P.P.S.: != means ‘not equal’

People who mean well and don’t wanna disappoint me…I guess…
So what can I say:

• Discipline
  • Perseverance

I really wonder why people think the reason I fail is that I don’t know the obvious.

The reason I wrote those is because, while I did not get as low as you (because I don’t depend upon art for income), I had about 2 years of, well, no motivation for projects. I started many things, finished none. And as a result, just as you: I was unmotivated to start new ones.

So what pulled me out, back into coding and art? The realization that wishing doesn’t make it so and that projects don’t complete themselves, that I have to actually do something. In part, it was probably due to this book. I have no idea if you are religeous, but it made me aware of what discipline actually is and why it is needed (in all aspects of life).
I also realized that doing something constructive is better than consuming. Browsing ebay and even here on BA is often just a waste of time, a way to procrastinate from what you should be doing. Closing the browser, closing books, and getting out a pad of paper can build up over a couple of weeks into work actually being done.

And hence my conclusion that … you just have to do it!

Show me some of your past (even incomplete) work. I have a task that is nice and incremental and shouldn’t take more than an hour or two per unit which I am willing to pay for. Do you have any experience at low-poly modelling or concept art? (I cannot find any of your work here on BA)

I will add to the above comment, another thing is that first of all, you should realize the fact that you’re not where you are at purely because the system screwed you over. It’s not just the system’s fault, it might have made a contribution, but there is no reason to think you had no part of the chain of events that led to where you are today.

The same thing with how to get out, you shouldn’t expect the system to be that thing to pull you out and waiting for it will only mean a life of misery. You will also need to rely on your own power and really review just what you’re good at and how you can start leveraging the talent you believe you used to have.

You’re not too old for new ambitions and a new circle of friends, you possibly have up to 60 years of life ahead of you so you still might actually be closer to the day of your birth than the day of your death. That alone is plenty of time to do something.

Don’t be sorry. Reading the words of someone who needs to unload is more worthwhile than some of the petty arguments that have been on this forum.

I’ve been working on making a fairly realistic hairy wolf for an animation. I found a hairless model online but I’m having trouble with adding the fur. Do you have any tips? I’m attaching the .blend file so you can see what I’ve done so far. wolf_fur.blend (2.94 MB)

Sorry, my experience with hair is limited. Also, I’m unable to download stuff at the university. I have managed to regain electricity so I don’t have to haul my quadcore again. Internet is the next hurdle.

Yay, found 40 Euros today in a shopping center. That’s one pair of shoes for me!

Or…it would be if honesty wasn’t the thing I identify most with. I turned them in. If the loser doesn’t reclaim them, they’re mine in 6 months. When it’s summer. When the ventilation shafts in my shoes are actually useful ( :

I am not religious and I know a lot about personal development. As I said, I am reasonably well educated. No, 60 more years is very unlikely.

This statement leads me to think that the beliefs you follow is contributing to your malaise, if your beliefs state that the average person ultimately has no more intrinsic value than an amoeba (they die and are forgotten), then how could it be possible to think that the concept of hope even exists for anyone? The truth is, there is something out there that offers hope that is far greater than anything naturalism can provide.

And here you just mentioned something you can potentially capitalize on so as to get a stable and decent job. Do something with kids, apply for a job in the educational system or heck, even a daycare.

It doesn’t matter if that something you apply for is menial compared to what you can do, you at least need something that acts as a starting point so you can actually do something (also noting that most of the work will not be something that BA can do for you).

The truth is, there is something out there that offers hope that is far greater than anything naturalism can provide.

It’s called make-believe and I honestly wish it would work for me.

Ace…
I do not lack opportunity to make money. Or intelligence or skill or horizon.
I do not make up reasons why I can’t make money because “resource x y z is missing”. Would be obviously false in times of the internet.

I do not need advice on what to do.

The problem is that my brain will not do it as long as uncertainty is involved provided nothing counters it from outside. My brain protects me to death from pain and no amount of rational thought or insight changes that.

If that’s so hard to grasp, just imagine someone puts all the possible weight on your shoulders so that just one pound makes you collapse. Now start building a house. Haul some bricks. Try it. And don’t try to turn the metaphor around. It’s not that good.

I do not require anybody to do work for me. Or ask for that. God, I wish posters would actually read what I write and not make stuff up that they imagine there to be between the lines. It’s incredibly frustrating to have to correct false assumptions all the time.

Why not try to start teaching, it seems like a bright spot in your life,

I know it is always fun for me to teach promising students python, If I were not already fully employed in a situation I can’t leave, I would start teaching.

it is the best thing us shaved apes can really do.

If you never needed advice, then why did you start a thread on the forum containing posts that soapbox and give riddles? Why did you title it the “slow farewell of a Blenderhead”? If people see any sense of trouble in the life of someone (especially a long-time member such as yourself), then the natural reaction will be people trying to help. Remember, any thread you start is to be considered public and available for all members to comment on (and it’s naive thinking if you expected the replies to be little more than a list of “I’m sorry, I hope things get better”).

I will note, it’s not uncommon for people who genuinely need help and support to claim that they need nothing of the sort. I’m pretty sure Europe is one of those places where it isn’t too hard to find the support they need.

Anyway, you’re not going to get back up on your feet as long as you don’t let others come and tend to what you need, because they can’t do it for you. Whether or not you want to live in misery the rest of your life, whether or not you want to start really working your brain and your body on disciplinary exercises so as to create the attitude adjustment that needs to be made before you get started, that’s ultimately for you to decide.

By now I wish I could delete the whole thread. If I can help it, I will not post anymore. You win. And you disgust me with your superficial, righteous, matter of fact, blaming attitude that conveys only one thing. You do not have much experience with the uglier sides of life.

Seriously:
1.) Go see a doctor that puts you under proper medication and once your depression settles, so will your psychosomatic health problems.
2.) Then get a job that has nothing to do with computers and art.
3.) Enjoy life!

Good luck.

I’ve been made homeless before, nothing i’m ashamed of, it was a series of events i had little control over.
At that time i had oesophagus problems, it’s a clinically recognised symptom of anxiety, it was so bad i was sent to hospital for tests but when the results came back negative the anxiety diagnosis was given. To be sure get yourself tested and you can cross that one off the list, or make plans to deal with it if the results are different. That was the day i gave up smoking and looked for ways to turn my life around because i could see a possible future where before there was none.
I’m happy to share my strategies if you’d like, the things that worked for me, but i don’t want to intrude in your thread.

I enjoyed your trap door spider, it really made me smile.

Here…take my hand, if you want to live.

Now, look up the Genesis Process.

NOTE: it is about faith, hope, action, and change. Some use it for drug abuse recovery, others for marriage counseling, but I know it can help you with this despair you are facing. It helped mine. I was lost in my own way a few years ago. I had nothing, nobody, no money, poor health, and I was homeless. I started the Genesis process and it was the best decision of my life. I know have an apartment, a husband, a daughter, a better relationship with my immediate family and lots of dear friends. Please don’t just take a quick glance. Do your research. I can tell you are a highly intelligent individual and you will make whatever the right decision is for you, but I only ask that you give this deep consideration. You can of course do this process on your own if you wish, but the real benefits are when you do it in a group setting. Don’t be discouraged. Take my hand. Trust me. Come out of the cell. Let me show you where you can go to learn how to avoid those beatings of yours.

HUGS

Haunt-House. I had another question for you. Do you have any advice on using bones? In addition to the previously mentioned wolf I have been working with a MakeHuman model trying to get realistic movement but it keeps doing weird things. If you don’t feel like answering on this thread just send me a private message.

Weird things, huh? Since I’d have trouble to even download a sample blend, I’m pretty handicapped to correct “weird things”. But often it has to do with the bone’s local axes, roll angles and maybe a rest position that is confusing to the bones. If you’re using IKs, try to avoid straight knees or elbows. Locked Track constraints are more stable than Trackto constraints. Parenting can help too, since, if my knowledge isn’t outdated, it puts bones in a local coordinate system so they’re not too influenced by rotations. I sometimes split axes between bones so every bone only has one axis to worry about.

You could also try to find working rigs and retrace the steps. Bassam had some very nice videos on his mancandy rig. A bit old but might still work mostly.

Sorry, I can only give much too general advice that prob. won’t hit the nail.

Here’s the ultimate solution to all of my problems: http://blog.getfoodgenius.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/calvin-and-hobbes-duplicator.jpg

Again, why not try and set something up teaching blender?

Seems like I’ll make it to one more Blender Conference.

Even though I’ll have to sleep in the open again. I survived four nights last year so I guess I will survive them this year as well. And if something happens, well, as long as I fail to be a successful lone soldier, I’m a waste of resources and little more than a social parasite. My potential might be interesting, but as long as I am too weak to use it own my own, it’s practically worthless. I have given up on getting any relevant outside help.

Maybe I’ll meet Snuffles again. Of course, since I’ll have no idea whether it’ll be the very same hedgehog, any hedgehog I may encounter will be Snuffles.

I need to improvise a small tent. The one I have is 20 years old and a 3man tent so it’s lacking the necessary stealthy attributes.

I’ll see what I can do with a makeshift tarp and duct tape. I still have 20 bucks.