"The Slug and the Shell" Short Film

I’ve been working on this short film called “The Slug and the Shell” for a couple of months now. Its about a slug named Oscar who lives in a community of Snails outside an Escargot restaurant. Oscars tired of not having a shell and decides to go on a journey to the beach to find one.

Here are a couple of screenshots from the film!

Making this film was my first experience with Animation and with Blender. I have learned so much since I started. Bellow was my first attempt at modelling a Snail xD

IMO, the grass needs work. It is too regular in placement, and too dark. Also, I noticed the other day that you can add a perfect snail shell from blender. I don’t know if a pefect shell is what you want, but this is how: go to the user preferences and get the add-ons screen. one of the add-ons is called add mesh - extra objects. check the box to activate that add-on, and now when you go to add a mesh you have an option for ‘extra objects’. select that, and then select ‘math function’, then ‘xyz surface’. the default object is, in fact, a snail shell.

Actually, I love the idea of this film, and I’d love to see even an OpenGL rough-cut of some finished scenes.

To my way of thinking, there’s absolutely nothing the matter with a “very stylized” presentation. (After all, we watch cartoons all the time.) I could instantly accept the visual absurdity (“all too close to the truth,” etc. …) of a scene like the first one, with the perfect(-ly awful) lawns, the identical houses and mailboxes, and consider it as part of the story, as I eagerly await “what happens next” as a would-be meal heads off to the beach(!) in order to find his shell(!!).

And as for the next shot … the same. If that little snail-guy exudes charming-personality and stage presence, and the two purple (hey, why not …) snails are suitably oaf-ish … “I, the audience, am eating out of your hand.” (But, I promise, I am not​ eating snails.)

If you make the artistic decision that this should be a very stylized picture, with a healthy element of visual pure-absurdity, and are consistent with that premise, then: “I’ve got my popcorn ready. Just Tell Me a Story.™”

So … “is it finished yet?” :slight_smile:

Actually, I love the idea of this film, and I’d love to see even an OpenGL rough-cut of some finished scenes.

To my way of thinking, there’s absolutely nothing the matter with a “very stylized” presentation. (After all, we watch cartoons all the time.) I could instantly accept the visual absurdity (“all too close to the truth,” etc. …) of a scene like the first one, with the perfect(-ly awful) lawns, the identical houses and mailboxes, and consider it as part of the story, as I eagerly await “what happens next” as a would-be meal heads off to the beach(!) in order to find his shell(!!).

And as for the next shot … the same. If that little snail-guy exudes charming-personality and stage presence, and the two purple (hey, why not …) snails are suitably oaf-ish … “I, the audience, am eating out of your hand.” (But, I promise, I am not​ eating snails.)

If you make the artistic decision that this should be a very stylized picture, with a healthy element of visual pure-absurdity, and are consistent with that premise, then: “I’ve got my popcorn ready. Just Tell Me a Story.™”

So … “is it finished yet?” :slight_smile:

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I actually did have some nicer grass along with slates on the house roofs but was forced to remove them because of insanely long render times. I have yet to render the garden scene however and I will be sure to make that grass less dark. Wow thanks for the tip I wish I had known sooner! xD

Here is an image of the House with a slated roof and one of the different grass used in the garden scene

I’m glad you like the idea! Thanks for all the feedback!! Yes its almost finished just another couple of days and I hope to post it in the finished projects! :smiley:

Here’s a couple more screenshots!

Very Excited, only a couple days until the film is finished, working on animating the final sequence!

It actually looks really good! Are you gonna release it?

Yep it should be uploaded next week if all goes to plan