The spinning platters strike back, Hard-drives up to 20 Terabytes with plans for 50

Seagate has recently outed new products in an attempt to tell us that in the age of terabyte-scale SSD’s and M.2’s, there’s still an important place for the platter.

Moving 50 terabytes at double digit read/write speeds might be a nightmare when backup time comes, but file sizes for creative content is rising rapidly when taking into account 4K/8K resolutions and what is needed to make so many pixels look good.

Can the platters live, or is this just a small bump on the road to obsolescence?

My concern would be reliability… if I have 10TB of data on there and the drive crashes, I could potentially lose years of work. Are these for archival purposes or for every day usage?

1 Like

The idea is to never have one drive. If you could purchase two or three drives the better it would be. For me surviving a huge crash was done only by having real physical backups I did once each per month. Even in the worst case backups must be taken once each Q4 or even at least once per year.

But is a totally different sense between losing days of work -or- weeks of work -or- losing everything. I have heard about people losing everything and is something that must be avoided for good. Never placing everything in one spot and not having only one copy.