The Stars Have Their Stories

I continue to explore and enjoy Blender’s ever-expanding toolset, and this project is directly related to one of the latest features.

One of my latest works, “The Stars Have Their Stories,” is partly inspired by the Chinese / Japanese folklore of the “Festival of Stars”:

Here is a Wikipedia link to the very interesting story behind Tanabata.

A good part of the other inspiration going into this was recent working in natural media projects such as sumi-e, pen & ink, etc.

As many of you know, I’ve always been interested in bringing various aspects of the “natural” art world into my renders, particularly wherever there is the possibility of there being less of a CG-look and more of a painterly or atypical render quality achieved.

Some technical notes:

Much of this image was created using a tablet (Intuos3) and Blender’s new “Grease Pencil” feature.

Drawn lines were converted to paths, then converted to mesh for further shaping and extrusion.

Simulated brushstrokes are transparent meshes behind the face (see attached 3D view image below).

Stars were actually created using the defocus node, which if fed into a color node to add the noise (with no Z input but a high Z number) to the render.

No external post-processing was necessary on the render.

In any event, I hope you enjoy this image and get to learn a little about the cultural aspect of it.

It really is amazing how stars are interpreted and explored by different cultures throughout history. So many stars, and so many stories :slight_smile:

Thank you for viewing my work,

RobertT

Attachments

Interesting use of Grease Pencil,

You really have nailed the style of Chinese/Japanese art here, good job on that.

Would it not be easier to just use the tablet :stuck_out_tongue:

Cyborg Dragon: Thanks!

Zarnik: If this were approached as a strictly 2d project, then yes :slight_smile: and maybe even easier and faster using real world media, a bamboo pen or sumi brush + ink and some watercolor washes for example :wink:
But then there’s drying time, and the inconvenient fact of having to get the image right while painting it and such :slight_smile:

For me, ease is never a concern. Plus I do like a challenge. Sketching in 3D (not just along a 2D plane) via the Grease Pen is quite a different experience with its own many advantages, not to mention there being superior composition control in the 3D realm.

Before I was into 3D I was into 2D digital + 2D/3D natural art, and for me there are plenty of reasons to go this route, especially when it comes to ultimate control of scene layout, lighting, animation potential, and things such as non-destructive render node processing.

Scultping in real clay can be easier and faster too (especially with no vert limit considerations), but then I do sometimes miss having the mirror modifier and multires in real life :wink:

RobertT

that´s awesome, really inspiring!

Agree completely, but such a strange expression on her face… :smiley:

that’s great use of Grease Pencil.
i was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to use brushes in Grease Pencil.
you show with skill they are not needed! (well they still would be useful.)
thanks.

Now that I like to see on a wall in a Chinese / Japanese restaurant

There is people I know will Pay good money for this style of course in a new age style…

at first , it was so good to me that I thought it was hand painted or say you`v used a tablet .

I personally learn few thing from this, I really like to see more from you on this style. you know what, try sealing this online or do A good print -out and start a Art-show What have you and see how it go.

Rate.

Wow! This is incredibly impressive, and one of the things I’ve really been wanting to explore with computer graphics (non-traditional/photorealistic styling, that is). Excellent work!

Each passing work you do, the less i like you.

Why? Use Paint…

The work is Ok though.

What the hell? I can’t tell if your joking? You don’t even know the guy, like his work less, not him.

That’s an awesome paint stroke thing. So intuitive (eh? :smiley: nice word am i wrong?).

The only thing that gives this away as 3d to me is the light bluelines in the top right, they just kinda stick out, ya dig? But still, that’s awesome. Awesome awesome.

I sincerely hope you got mixed up in translation there.

Robert: Great style and use of the greased pencil!!

HOWEVER

I can’t help but feel you didn’t quite achieve the elegance of the style you were aiming for. Calligraphy style lines and strokes usually change thickness depending on angle, more so than you have achieved in you image, also there is always a tapered end, because that is just the right way to finish a calligraphy pen stroke.

http://io-noi-aldo.sonance.net/blogpix/a_zoomorphic_calligraphy.jpg

I certainly do enjoy the Art Nouveau style you have going here.

Though I noticed the lower left thick hair strand has straight edges. Possibly not been smoothed out to flow with the rest of the picture?

blenderbe illustrator!
:slight_smile: nice one

hmm, this i am not sure i really understand.
it’s already so much traditional looking, what was the reason to use blender at all?

what was the benefit of using blender for this, and not for example gimp, or inkscape?
you are going to animate it somehow?

.b

Just because he can :smiley:

Incredible work considering the tools you used… when you say:“It’s the artist, not the tool”… congratulations!

A very unique and creative approach with great results.

Woah! When I first saw this I thought, “Now what is this doing in a Blender thread?”
When I saw the wire, it made it all the more impressive!
Great job! This is truly beautiful!

Thank you all for the replies!

There are many reasons I like to use Blender, and I mentioned some earlier in this thread.

RobertT