The TARDIS in Lisbon, Portugal

Hello Folks! I’ve Just finished this up, and wanted to share. This TARDIS (11th Doctor) was modeled in Blender and rendered using Cycles, 15,000 samples. I used a Backplate and HDRi set from Moofe for the environment. All the wood textures were from CGTextures, and the door decal, phone panel sign, and Police Box Sign were from a wonderful online community called TARDIS Builders. After matching Blender’s camera to the Moofe scene, I output the floor (for shadows) and TARDIS to separate render layers and saved out OpenEXRs from those render layers. Then I pulled the backplate and both render layer OpenEXRs into photoshop for final compositing, and added a small bit of film grain to the entire scene.

Edit: I guess I only thought I was done. Per feedback here and over at Blender Cookie, I’ve changed the lighting a bit. Thanks folks!

One Final Render, this time showing off the lights behind the windows.

looks pretty convincing, nice job

The only thing that really is bugging me is the shadow of the phone booth. From what I can see, your sky is clear. Your shadow however suggests that it is an overcast day. I think the shadow should be more harsh on the ground. However, I’m just being very nitpicky about this, and seeing how you put this render in the finished projects part of this forum, I’m guessing you spent a good amount of time on this and want to be done. Overall a very good and realistic piece. Well done.

Actually, on second thought, yes, the shadow is still wrong, it looks too long - if you look at the curb, ledge, or lamp post, the shadows are shorter than the objects casting them. Yours is longer than the object. So the lighting angle must be wrong.

Model looks slight too sharp; the blue is also not quite right.

Looks good though.

Shadows as already mentioned seems wrong; cant see any shadows in the image apart from the tardis.

Cool but looking on the background the light on both scenes are kind of wrong if you pay attention to it, but it looks good!

Looks so good. I only wish I knew something about Dr. Who so I could make some amazinlgy clever reference. =(

-rking

That’s fantastic! Very very cool.

I’ve been wanting to do some compositing work like that. While I haven’t tried this yet, I’ll pass on an idea I’ve had anyway (I’ll post when I’ve tried this myself) but I’ve thought making about a one meter square sheet of paper, printed with concentric rings and radial lines (these could be numbered for easier measurement). Place a decimeter tall dowel upright on the center of the paper, and then place the whole thing close to where I wish to add my composited object. Take one photo (or one set in the case of HDRI) with the paper/dowel and one without. Re-create the paper/dowel in Blender at the same scale and then use it to align the lights to the photo with the paper dowel in it; then use the photo without to do the actual compositing.

Thank You!

This isn’t far off of what the folks at Moofe did with their imagery. Every backplate has what they call the Moofe target in it, which consists of a cube made from dowels and small balls that connect the dowels together (actually they also have a triangle version of the target as well for some of their work). I think this cube is somewhere between 3 and 4 feet square. Then they include a 3D version of the cube (and the triangle, if that’s the target you’re trying to match) that is identical to the physical one they shot in OBJ format that you can use to get your virtual camera aligned to their physical camera. The metadata of the backplates contain the model of the camera (A Hasselblad in both backplates I’ve used) as well as the focal length of the lens used, so matching things up is pretty straightforward. The only difficulty I had with the OBJ version of their target is that the size information did not translate into blender, so it imports FAR too large for the scene, so you wind up doing a bit of guesswork there. Fortunately, the object origin DOES import correctly, so at least you don’t wind up having to also set that up at the center of your floor.

So, I’d say you’re off to a good start! Don’t overcomplicate your target though, you might be able to get away with making one with tinker toys :wink:

Thanks!

I like the tinky-toy idea. When I get a chance I’ll try both ideas and post my results.

Again, really wonderful work endikos, looking forward to seeing more!