The Truth About the GE

Graphics aren’t everything we all know that but thats not what PlantP. was trying to say he was simply making the statement blender is capable of many graphical “reaches” so to speak.

Eternal odyssey is a perfect example of what Blender can do great graphics, looks like great concept art, good use of other games as reference ( looks like Legend of Zelda TP and God of War mixed). All of these a game player looks at not just graphics. If a person sees yu put lots of time and caare into it they will enjoy it tons more.

yeah yeah… good game play… well I’ve got good game play for a demo I want to make… but guess what…? I can’t make it any more because of the huge amount of bugs. I’ve come up with the simplist game concept ever , to suit the bugs and the crappy graphics capabilities etc etc… but guess what… it won’t work because the bugs keep getting worse. So i’ve pretty much given up and have spent my time learning python until they get fixed. If ever.

So you could make great games… if they fixed the bugs once and for all such as the constant adding in of object problems, the memory problems, the physics issues… like not being able to remove angular velocity… collision issues… the list goes on… it’s enough to make me want to tear my hair out… there is so much potential for such a great engine :wink: well I’m hoping in the next year that if I can make enough cash… I’m going to hire someone to fix some of these things once and for all… but that’s a big if.

I started working with Blender last weekend and yesterday started to use the Game Engine.

I cannot get over how cool this engine is. Like many hobbyists, I’ve used several engines, each with its pros and cons. But none of them can get a newbie up and running with their game prototype as quickly and as effectively and as easily as can the Blender Game Engine. (The only tricky part so far was figuring out how to get nice textures into the game, but after quite a bit of searching, I’ve now seen that I need bake them first and/or use UV mapping. It would be great to put those hints about GE texturing onto the GE wiki).

It is a credit to all those who have obviously invested many man years in its developement and to those whose tutorials have gotten me up to speed so quickly.

I agree with the opening post that hard work is needed to make a game look good no matter what engine yo use. But the BGE gives you more than the others do straight out of the box. I mean you can sculpt your terrain and simply press “P” to see it immediately in game!!! Cooool:cool: Or you can get a squadron of fighter jets to come at you from over the horizon and fly overhead as you try to shoot them down. And all with a few clicks on the logicbricks - or with a few lines of python if more is needed. Amazing!

So for me, the Truth about the Blender GE is that it is quite simply the best engine out there for the game hobbyist.

If there were just a few more GE tutorials out there, then independent game developers would flock to the BGE in huge numbers…

The BGE is Outstanding. I am addicted. Thank you blender people!!!

:slight_smile:

Well spoken, Plantperson. And in a few years, we might even have some of those effects. The BGE is awesome…yah…

~Turin

hopefully turin

I concede the point. Still, I think texturing and shading are a huge part of what makes a game realistic or unrealistic, and we have all the tools necessary to accomplish those goals. It should be possible to make a game in Blender with “professional” textures and shading, and (should such a thing happen) it could/would be very realistic. However, I admit that I was exaggerating a bit with phrases such as “mind-blowing.”

Regardless, it’s still very important to remind people of what the priority list should look like. Otherwise, someone (especially if they’re new) could end up with a lot of misconceptions about what makes a good/fun game.

Anyone who comes with the preconception of good graphics=good game is not going to be turned either way by this thread.

As I said earlier, this thread is just my reaction to the constant demands for FX which are (in my opinion) stupid, worthless crutches which create flash-bang while doing squat for actual realism.

Well, you cant beat the price.

I agree though, we could really use a logic system fix.

With GLSL we can achieve some great stuff just like “the big boys”, just not in excess.

I wish we could see some more puzzle games like Tetris, or Frozen bubble, or Super puzzle fighter 2 done in the BGE .We have all the capabilities to take those games, and turn them into some real eye candy gems.

hmm might be a good project for beginners

I have yet to see a GLSL trick that didn’t look like garbage.

Perhaps I’m just an unusual case, but I have a complete dislike for most of these newfangled technologies. Most of them, for all their hype, don’t look remotely realistic. I just have no patience for that nonsense. Give me my texturing and shading tools and I’m happy. (And that doesn’t include bump maps. Bump maps in games are a joke.)

Sorry if I’m coming across as very cynical/bitter. It’s finals time. :o

Everybodies replies are getting quoted. Except for my reply in this thread.
:cool:

- AniCator

Everybodies replies are getting quoted. Except for my reply in this thread.

Well tonight my wife is going to wear a viking helmet to bed, and I get to dress like a school girl.
I thought I might as well quote you.

what are those cool knee socks you guys got? are they called legenhozen? I want to buy some :smiley:

lol. I think I should quote that!

If you put pretty frosting on a mud pie, it is still a mud pie!

with deliciously tasty frosting!

I feel the same way. :cool:

Am also a bit depressed seeing how my enthusiam has been crushed by the news that the GE wont be getting the attention it deserves. Sad really. I guess the bugs (that I havent yet come across) must be pretty hard to fix… Can someone point me to the issue list? And is there anyone out there with the skills to fix these problems? Or is a complete rewrite needed?

Once I saw the news about Apricot, I immediately downloaded Crystal Space, really hoping I’d like it. It didnt make a good first impression. The instructions for how to get it to compile were confusing. And then when I did get it to compile, running the samples used 100% of my cpu and caused my laptop to overheat and crash. So now I’m afraid to use it! :eek: I’ve worked with many many game engines and CS doesnt rank highly… Believe me, I wanted to like it!!!

Then you have the likes of Microsoft (obvioulsy promoting only Windows and DirectX) who just teamed up with Dark GDK, creating something that the Blender GE already has - a simple to use engine that gets people up and running quickly, with no fuss and excellent results. And with their marketing muscle, they will suck in the exact market that BGE was almost ready to target.

I hope the Open Game project manages to lift Crystal Space and give MS and “Dark GDK” a run for their money. The Open Game people would do well to check the marketing of that launch. Very clean. Very professional. Very convincing.

I gotta agree with that. Am I the only man on the planet who thought that gears of war had bad graphics? and is there ANYTHING in doom 3 that didn’t look like plastic? just 'cause they got a powerful engine behind them with bloom, shadows, bump maps, etc, doesn’t mean their game looks good.

now H2, was a shining crystal. maybe I’m just a nerd (heh, nice forum to say that on) but I actually spent time just walking around the levels looking at the textures. there weren’t many fancy-pantsy (lol, what a word) effects (though, the ones that were there looked brilliant- the energy core in the citadel, anyone?), but the game was, and still is, one of the graphically best games I have ever seen. and it may be getting along in it’s age now, but I thought halo 1 looked pretty good too. why did halo 2 and 3 look so much worse? I mean, aside from microsoft buying bungie?

The full-screen shader effects like HDR, Sub-Surface-Scattering and Motion-Blur, I am talking about the realistic motion blur shaders, make humans feel ‘home’. They see what they are used to see in real life.
If you are able to run Crysis on Very High it’ll suck you into the game. Half-Life 2 does too, but it doesn’t suck you in using it’s visuals but the audio and AI.
That’s why I laughed so much when I played the Crysis SP Demo. The first time you play it you are really astonished by the graphics and the story. The second time you start to play with the environment and physics. Cool! Then you start trying out the AI. Lolz!! ThAt’S FuNnY. The AI is quite silly. Even on Delta difficulty they behave a bit weird.
‘Booh!’ says Nomad.
Five seconds later.
‘I’ll kill you!’ says the Korean.
‘What? I only said “booh”.’.
‘Shoot’n’Kill!!’.
‘Shut up.’
Nomad shoots a dart in his bottom.

- AniCator

The GE does boast some great features, but hides shamefully when it comes to performance. I’ve made some really nice real-time experiments with it, but it always gets sluggish quite quickly. It might be due to old OpenGL statements, it might something else, but it’s slow. IMHO if the performance issues were to be “resolved”, the GE would actually become one of Blender’s largest “selling point” for new users within the game industry. I know I would use it a LOT more if it was faster. Now, I’m coding C# / XNA and using DirectX instead - solely for greater performance.

Hi
Memory leak
Bye

Wow! RIOTS RIOTS:eek: That was hard! Are you sure about that Plant? What about toon shaders? :eyebrowlift2:
Coders: thank you very much for implementing GLSL. I really like that. Please keep developing it. (1+vote)

Some people, such as myself, see this as the biggest current problem, only second to speed. Mix the two (and add a few other bugs), and you have a very limited GE. I’ve had to scrap or hold too many projects because of this. Depressing.

I’m fine with the graphics capabilities. I could even work around the speed issue, but what to do about memory leaks between scenes? Has anyone found a fix or a work around? Does anyone even care anymore?