The Unofficial Texturing Tutorial

Landis

Thanks. I looked at your cartoon. Excellent too. Now, I have to think about it…, but I printed it (if I’m lucky, I’ll have a chance to read it). In any case it look very solid.

Again, thank you for the contribution here.

Arnaud

I posted a poll regarding this tutorial and the Airman at the follwing location:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105595#105595

Please tell me what you think.

Cheers,
Landis

ohhh…I think I know what you guys are talking about regarding the texture coordinates…you are probably wondering why when you texture your apple with the same testmap it doesnt line up as it does in my image…good point that I forget to address…I rotate the testmap inside of photoshop, then I save over the old testmap, go back into Blender and reload the texture in order for it to map correctly…I sometimes even have to flip it horizontally so that the map appears to read backwards inside of photoshop but when it is mapped onto the mesh it looks ok…what ever works best depending on the mesh…basically the purpose is so that I can read the coordinates clearly. I will address this in the final tut. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
Landis

I’m going to translate to spanish next days

Awesome man!!! I will have another one for you to translate soon :wink: if you are up for it!!

Take care buddy,
Landis

P.S. I wish that I could speak more Spanish than just asking where the bathroom is located :x …well…I guess if you have to know some …its best to know the essentials :expressionless: .

Landis, you da man!

Could anyone explain me why landis converted the spherical map to rectangular…? I can’t figure out why,…

thnks…
md01

Great tut!! I’m sure it’ll work like a charm; As soon as I get around to understanding it! Rofl Ubernub> Kal

It is the same in The Gimp:  Filter->Distort->Polar coordinates

Gimp Rocks!!!!! 

I love----------Tutorials!

The reason is that he scanned an apple, which is somewhat spherical, whereas the picture which will be textured is a rectangle. THEN, you map the rectangular picture spherically in Blender.

So, even more clearly, you scan something round… You use it to paint your rectangular picture. However, the rectangular picture shows something that was round at the beginning. Recalculate the coordinates (i.e. change it into a sphere). Save your picture, which is a rectangular picture showing something spherical. Then when you’ll use the rectangular picture, map it spherically: TADAAA! Your spherical image looks as it should look!

I’m a little confused. First of all, if you are supposed to match the corodinates from the render in Blender with the testmap in Gimp/PS why don’t they match in the tuturial and second, how do you make the apple texture spread out around the edges so it looks right when it wraps in a circle? I know these are probabally newb questions, but I really want to learn Blender and this bit is confusing me.

what about making a pdf someday…

your checkerboard map is too dark and fuzzy …why does the checkered apple look so clear .
is that the same image?