The.Wasp [Retired for now]

(nehpets) #1

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/6785/waspcompilation015dk.th.jpg

c&c please

(Khnum) #2

What exactly are you going for? Wasps have nasty stingers that they can use over and over, but this has NO characteristics of a wasp other then the fact that it’s flying to a honnycomb structure. With that said, I really like the model so far. I’d add a lot more of the smaller eyes, perhaps filling that face panel. Maybe add some adjustable exhaust nossles to the engines. Maybe some little mechanical arms. Keep it up, this will be really cool I can already tell.

Has the same qualities as the bug from Toonami’s intros.

(nehpets) #3

What exactly are you going for? Wasps have nasty stingers that they can use over and over, but this has NO characteristics of a wasp other then the fact that it’s flying to a honnycomb structure.

well, seeing as how this is a robot-like wasp. the stinger can be a ball of plasma or a laser or whatever i choose. and if i wanted to give it the characteristics of an elephant but with yellow and black stripes, i could still call it a wasp. one great thing about art is that i don’t have to stick to the rules of nature/physics. so bleh :stuck_out_tongue:

With that said, I really like the model so far. I’d add a lot more of the smaller eyes, perhaps filling that face panel. Maybe add some adjustable exhaust nossles to the engines. Maybe some little mechanical arms. Keep it up, this will be really cool I can already tell.

thanks ! and i will try out those idea’s :]

Has the same qualities as the bug from Toonami’s intros.

hey ! your right ! i never thought about that :]

(yu_wang) #4

The head and tail look confusing - which is which? It should be made more wasp-like with something sharper for a sting, spindly legs and, of course, wings! Or maybe some other kind of aerial propulsion system. Or is it already there, but I just can’t see it? Hmm… :-?

(kit89) #5

I think making the laser/plasma weapon more pointy, would make it more wasp like.

A wasp to me is a slim line design terror machine :slight_smile:
This is more like a bee bulky but with a nasty sting, yet elegant as well.

(Villitz) #6

i like it, you guys should read this part again:

well, seeing as how this is a robot-like wasp. the stinger can be a ball of plasma or a laser or whatever i choose. and if i wanted to give it the characteristics of an elephant but with yellow and black stripes, i could still call it a wasp. one great thing about art is that i don’t have to stick to the rules of nature/physics. so bleh :stuck_out_tongue:

it can look however he wants it to look. personally i think it is really creative and giving it more wasplike charactaristics would squander that creativity. i just had a cool idea for an animation involving that too:

start out in a high tech looking wasp hive type place with cool mechanisms and stuff, then maybe have the hive shake or something (like its under attack) then have the wasp wake up/turn on and fly out of its cubby or whatever. then show it shooting plasma ball things, the camera could then turn around/ zoom out and show that the wasp hive is actually really small and they are attacking a human who is trying to knock the hive off a wall with a broom.

well, keep on going, it looks cool.

(yu_wang) #7

Yeah, I’ll definitely understand it much better when it’s animated. Can’t really judge by one little screeny… :stuck_out_tongue:

(nebx) #8

nephets: that’s pretty cool, how are you rendering it? I like the lighting too…

A more developed environment would help, but i’m sure that’s upcoming anyways. Keep goin’ :slight_smile:

(Sonic TH) #9

Hmm… Looks like a security drone or a camera bot, the “stinger” seems a bit too big for the body though.

(nehpets) #10

yeah, ill admit i need to work on the style a little bit. but i really like the way its turning out. i know it will change alot as i work on it. thats part of the process: making it better. but if i choose to ignore certain peoples advice, don’t take it personally. im sure there will be times when i will listen to it to, so its all good.

and on the rendering issue: im using Yafray with a basic light set up(my own version of the 3 point)

(Sonic TH) #11

Yeah, advice is good but can also hinder what you’re going for if you let your critics take over. In the end it’s your decision to make. Judging from your other works I don’t think you need any help there :wink:

(nehpets) #12

well, i changed things around a bit. and also added some roughed-in wings

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/2457/wasprender018kq.th.jpg

(Khnum) #13

Like the “stingers” and the new wings a lot. Keep it up!!

(sundialsvc4) #14

Well, let’s be strictly-correct here and say that wasps do not produce honeycombs. Their nests don’t really look like what’s in that picture.

But the honeybee doesn’t really look like a honeybee either, so what the heck? :wink: “Why be normal?” What it does look like is a rather fun cartoon-character that could certainly carry a light-hearted picture. He’s got a Pokemon-type look (whoa, make that a “well-armed :o Pokemon” look!) … positively an assemblage of Mister Potato-Head parts.

So be it! :smiley: I’ve got my popcorn, let the movie begin! 8)

(Dwarfose) #15

well i kind of saw the relation to a wasp before - but the update looks more like a bee

well it can be an elephant if it wants to- its some Nice modeling

also the bright yellow missile/whatever thingies look a bit out of palce and distracting… duno

(kit89) #16

Maybe 9 missiles would do to represent the amount a wasp can sting with out dieing afterwards.

Odly enough the first picture looked more agile and nippy (like wasp) but the latest is looking more like a bee.

(garphik) #17

hey pretty nice modelling, I liked the smooth toyish look to that, the missiles need some work no big deal though.
I my opinion the dark teal colour does not look good one the thing.

keep it up

(nehpets) #18

sundialsvc4: good god. i do hope its not like pokemon.

Dwarfose: yeah, about the missiles. thats only a test color, almost everything will be UV-mapped when im finished.

kit89: 9 missiles ? hmm, i didn’t think of that.

garphik: thanks man, and the teal will be gone(like the missile yellow)

alrighty everyone !!! i’ve just had an epiphany. i understand why everyone has been complaining about the non wasp-like look. i don’t have the 3rd section of his body ! all wasps have the 2 on the front(head/main body) and then a third with the stinger attached by a thin section of “bug tissue” so yeah ! thats coming up in the next update :]

(nehpets) #19

here’s what im talkin about ;]

also started texturing to see if i could get the UV-Maps right.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/6797/wasprender025kk.jpg

(kit89) #20

Far better more wasp like :smiley:

To many missiles make it look bulky. I suggest less of them. Other than that it looks more wasp like!!